Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took in my 2014 Forester XT today for it's first oil change at the local subaru dealership. They usually put a a little clear sticker saying the type of oil used and the next date or mileage for the next oil change on the upper left front window. It says 5W-30 Mobil Synthetic on that sticker. The oil change was free thanks to the subaru maintenance agreement which the dealership threw in for free when I bought the car.

Anyways I'm home now, and looking at the invoice of what they did.
I cant help but be bothered at the 0W-20 Mobil Synthetic in that invoice. I'll give them a call, but they will probably be close thanksgiving, so may end up waiting Friday. I attached a picture for you guys to see. I'm really annoyed, but I cant really do anything at this moment. Is there anyway to find out what oil they really used?

Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
Forester
171 Posts
0w-20 is what it takes on the non turbo 2014 not sure on the turbo xt tho. Just a thought they might of not had any window stickers with 0w-20 on them. I would call to verify tho just to see.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
0w-20 is what it takes on the non turbo 2014 not sure on the turbo xt tho. Just a thought they might of not had any window stickers with 0w-20 on them. I would call to verify tho just to see.
I read in 2014 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period that 5W-30 is required on the XT. I'm not sure if that means mandatory. But I expect it. I don't know if I have the wanted picture posted at that dealership that says keep an eye on me since I gave them a fit demanding to cancel the extended warranty since I didn't want it, and they are still mad at me about it. So this was a way for them to get back at me by putting in the oil used for the 2.5 Forester 2014. I dont know, roflmao.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Just took in my 2014 Forester XT today for it's first oil change...

I cant help but be bothered at the 0W-20 Mobil Synthetic in that invoice.

Subaru recommends/requires 5W-30 synthetic engine oil for the 2014 XT:
5W-30 synthetic oil is required for
optimum engine performance and protection.
Conventional oil may be used if
synthetic oil is unavailable.

*: If 5W-30 synthetic oil is not available,
5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil may
be used if replenishment is needed but
should be changed to 5W-30 synthetic
oil at the next oil change.

See 2014 OM page 12-6.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,919 Posts
since I didn't want it, and they are still mad at me about it. So this was a way for them to get back at me by putting in the oil used for the 2.5 Forester 2014.
I seriously doubt that. They would have told the guy that is servicing it to put the wrong oil in. Very unlikely they would chance that. You could experiment with a jar with a very small hole in the lid and see the difference in time for the 20 wt. to go through vs the 30 wt. But that's kinda back woods kind of stuff.

Take it in and show them the information...that's al you can do. Save the paper. If your engine blows in the future you can always say its their fault. :icon_razz:

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
Another very valid reason to do your own oil changes.

The stealership could offer me lifetime oil changes and would never take them up on it.

You can change your own oil on a Forester in less than 20 minutes using the correct oil.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
It should defintely be 5W30, the thinner 20 weight will cause extra wear in the turbocharger. Its not an emergency, but if it were me I would get 5W30 (full synthetic of course) in there within the next 500 miles or so. You could leave the filter alone and just do a drain and fill, no reason to change the new filter. You could show the service mgr the invoice and ask that they put the correct viscosity oil in there (5W30) but you have no way of knowing if they will actually do it or just leave the 20 weight in there and figure you won't have any way to tell if 30 weight was installed, which you won't without pulling a sample and paying about $20 to have an oil analysis done.

It is also entirely possible they did put 5W30 in and because they service so many more non-turbos than turbos the tech simply typed up 20 weight on the invoice out of habit. I haven't seen the oil cap on the XT but I assume it says 5W30 on it in big clear lettering and only a chimpanzee would pour 20 weight in with that staring them in the face.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
239 Posts
I can't speak for the dealership regarding the oil they used to change your oil in your 2014 Forester XT, but I would also have a concern if it were me. You should insist they change the oil and filter again. Also, ask if they would permit you to watch as they correct the situation. Keep all of your work orders.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
It should defintely be 5W30, the thinner 20 weight will cause extra wear in the turbocharger. Its not an emergency, but if it were me I would get 5W30 (full synthetic of course) in there within the next 500 miles or so. You could leave the filter alone and just do a drain and fill, no reason to change the new filter. You could show the service mgr the invoice and ask that they put the correct viscosity oil in there (5W30) but you have no way of knowing if they will actually do it or just leave the 20 weight in there and figure you won't have any way to tell if 30 weight was installed, which you won't without pulling a sample and paying about $20 to have an oil analysis done.

It is also entirely possible they did put 5W30 in and because they service so many more non-turbos than turbos the tech simply typed up 20 weight on the invoice out of habit. I haven't seen the oil cap on the XT but I assume it says 5W30 on it in big clear lettering and only a chimpanzee would pour 20 weight in with that staring them in the face.
I have to agree. It is far from immediate life or death deal for the engine. In reality many 5W30 will shear to a 20wt in a few hundred miles, typical of resource conserving oils(synthetics included). You could likely leave it it there for a OCI with out any issues.

However it is a new car, under the manufacture warranty and the dealer was paid(by you or via a service plan) to do the service. Part of that service is in question, the actual service or the documentation of and you don't know which. The only way correct that, it is to redo the service. It may not be an issue, however there is the "what if" factor. What if there is some thing engine related down the line and Subaru looks at the service history and sees this as a red flag(it may not be in your favor).

I would make it known to the dealers service department via Email if you can("paper" trail) and then follow up via phone and then by getting the service redone. Just know that it isn't a must be done now and towed in type of thing. Just don't drive it hard or do or pretend you are doing a track day:N_poke:

Loan Ranger is right, there is no need to replace the filter again. Most of the oil drains out shortly after the engine is shut down on the FB/FAs and the oil filter doesn't really care what viscosity oil is going through it in regards to a 20wt/30wt. Though the same can be said, there is no reason for a dealer not to replace it. Either is acceptable.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,919 Posts
I think flstffxe said it all.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, it's a drag to go to the dealership. When I went in, I had that uneasy feeling. I was being sarcastic when I said they were trying to sabotage my car. I'll probably just go get myself a 5w-30 oil at walmart, drain what's in there now, and fill it up. Hopefully I can get it done by next week. until then, I'll just drive with the 0w-20. I just don't have time to go to the dealership since I'll be working for the next 7 straight days starting tomorrow. But I'll definitely give them a call tomorrow on friday.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
A kid making $8hr probably doesn't care what oil he puts in. Nothing malicious, just don't care.
and a honest mistake is still a mistake, doesn't mater who it is by.

I spent 3 years working in a chain lube shop for the bennies while working in motorcycle shops.

You would be surprised who actually works there. Most of those "kids" are car guys and it's the reason they are there. They wanted a job working with cars.

I worked with several "retired" ASE mechanics, one millionaire(sold out his machine shop to Polaris/Victory) and a crap load of "kids" going to school to become mechanics in my time there. For many of the older crowed it is a way to keep active/busy with out being in a high stress environment.

Yes there are the few kids who get jobs at them for the sake of getting a job. They never lasted more than a few months at best.

Once at a dealer/s it all depends on how the service department is run. Some dealers have the "lube, quick service techs" for oil changes while others let the regular line techs do these as part of their everyday jobs.

The lube techs are often the same people you would see working the quick lube chain shops.

Every profession has its lackies and slackers that don't give a hoot. The automotive service industry is no different. If you are one who doesn't work on your own cars. I always advise to get to know a trusted shop and a few of those mechanics and thank them for their services when when it is good, buy them lunch/pizza..... Overtime you will get better service and save money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts