1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 S-Edition 5EAT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
09FXT + Unichip

Hello,

I know there are many threads about this but I really need your opinions :biggrin:

I have a 09FXT in Brazil and here we don't have many options for ECU upgrade. I contact Cobb and they inform that AccessPort will not work for me :icon_cry:

In my FXT I use a brazilian gasoline Petrobras Podium - 95 IAD (antiknock index) with additional 25% ethanol (mandatory in Brazil) - this is the best gas in Brazil.:crazy:

The only option for me is Unichip (we have a dealer here) and I appreciate any comments whether it's a good idea or not...:shrug:

Thanks a lot for everybody.

Cass

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
i had a Unichip in my Vibe (aka Matrix)

it shorted out and left my wife and kids on the side of the road until I went and unplugged it so the car would start again. It melted internally and my wife said she could both smell and see smoke. I think we were lucky it didn't completely fry the ECU.

The performance gain was minimal at best, maybe it would be better on our FXT... but the reliability of the product will not let me recommend it.

·
Registered
2011 S-Edition 5EAT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi bettsyboy,

Thanks a lot for your opinion.

I certainly prefer to use the AccessPort but Cobb says it will not work for me in Brazil...:icon_sad:

Is very frustrating not have options here... I really don't know what to do.

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
The Unichip is a highly capable device.

It's gains are just as good as an AccessPort, OpenSource Tune, etc... It all depends on the implementation and obviously the tuner.

For the Subaru crowd here in the US, we started with Unichips in 2002, and phased those out around 2004 in favor of the UTEC, AccessPort, and eventually OpenSource tunes. With only one company that still offered UniChip setups and tunes.

That said, if there was still a plug and play harness being made that fit your car, I'd say there would be no issues at all with a UniChip, as long as you have the right tuner.

You can always go OpenSource or AccessPort (Providing Cobb supports the 09FXT in your country), you'll just have to get a custom tune and not rely on any base maps included.

The device you use is irrelevant, It's all up to the tuner to extract the right power!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts