Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My '09 XT with 37k on the odo expereinced yet another failure this morning. A sound similar to an alternator going south was occuring at morning startup and then it would fade out.

Upon inspection, the hydraulic steering pump seemed to work however, when turning the wheels the sound grew louder (when cold). Are ready for this? With dealer confirmation, the rack and pinion needs to be replaced! Not sure about the steering pump at this point, that is the second step according to the dealer after the rack replacement.

Out of all the Subaru's I have owned, many of them with over 250K on the odo, many driven very hard, not once have I had to have a rack and pinion be rebuilt/replaced. I am glad they are replacing rather than rebuilding the rack.

I do have the extended warranty which I am thankful for, but I am beginning to grow very concerned that Subaru's growth is forcing them not to pay attention to details i.e. Toyota (don't you wish Toyota didn't own shares in Fuji Heavy Industires [Parent Compnay of Subaru]?). In the latest issue of Consumer Reports (car issue) it was reported that the Impreza WRX not worthy of a recommendation. I can't even remember the last time a Subaru wasn't recommended by Consumer Reports.

I am die-hard Subie fan and I hope this isn't a developing pattern or a repeat of the mid-eighties Subaru's quality issues.:icon_sad:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I would check back with them actually. Theres a TSB and a newer part number for a replacement valve in the power steering pump for the 09+.

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would check back with them actually. Theres a TSB and a newer part number for a replacement valve in the power steering pump for the 09+.
Thank you for the informaion. I did let them know but that piece will not be touched until the rack is replaced. It is not that I don't recognize mechanical things break, I just I don't expect this from Subaru. Maybe I am blinded by loyalty and my own personal experiences.:icon_confused:

PS. Yes, it is the same car as pictured in my signature icon.

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Received the wife's Subaru '09 XT Limited back today from the rack replacement. It was wonderful giving back my Dodge Dakota 4x4 truck rental. Won't miss the Dodge. Let's just say my '65 Ford F100 rode and drove better than this truck.

With the head tech leaving and going to another dealer across town mid-way through my Subie repair... of course I had serious doubts on top of my previous concerns of a rack going out at 37K. However, my test drive before acceptance proved exceptional.

I did request a 4-wheel alingment that is NOT part of the rack replacement to-do list and I must say the Subie tracks perfectly. One other item to mention, the new rack allows the Subie to feel like a German road car. Very dead-center steering with excllent feedback. In fact, it drives so differently than my other '09 XT Limited (which is my car) that I have become jealous. Though her car had the repairs, I can't get over how much better it handles than mine. Go figure.

I am hopeful that no other major repairs surface on this car. But again, I am thankful Subaru replaced the rack rather than rebuilding. And of course I appreaciate the service from my dealer. They even polished the car for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts