Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FXT 4EAT
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think it's pretty common knowledge that the SPT exhaust for the wrx sedan fits the 09+ FXT's, and that should mean that stock for stock they are interchangeable as well.

I've heard reviews saying that SPT exhaust is boomy and drones in the FXT's due to the larger cabin (fully believe this given the exhaust on my expedition), so I was wondering if the WRX exhaust may be just a little more free flowing and perhaps just a bit louder since it's marketed towards a different market segment. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts

·
Registered
2009 FXT
202 Posts
I was thinking about trying the magnaflow for the 08-08 WRX sedan. I found them online for around $419 shipped

·
Registered
2010 X Premium 5 Spd
95 Posts
doogle,

Please let us know where you found the Magnaflow cat back for that price. At that price I will buy one today!

Marc

I was thinking about trying the magnaflow for the 08-08 WRX sedan. I found them online for around $419 shipped

·
Registered
2010 FXT 4EAT
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Given the wife's need to keep it reasonable quiet I think I'm just going to custom build an axle back for it. I had both mufflers off tonight to paint them black before re-installing the tips and decided to drive it around. Even with the exhaust exiting directly up into the floor of the trunk it still wasn't too bad to drive around and definitely had that subaru sound.

Given that I'm not about to try and make big hp numbers with this, it seems this is the cheapest and easiest solution to finding the sound she's looking for.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
202 Posts
Given the wife's need to keep it reasonable quiet I think I'm just going to custom build an axle back for it. I had both mufflers off tonight to paint them black before re-installing the tips and decided to drive it around. Even with the exhaust exiting directly up into the floor of the trunk it still wasn't too bad to drive around and definitely had that subaru sound.

Given that I'm not about to try and make big hp numbers with this, it seems this is the cheapest and easiest solution to finding the sound she's looking for.
have you tried the trick with taking out the gaskets going to the mufflers and using a couple of washers to space it out. I heard about this on another subaru forum and it gives the car a nice growl.

·
Registered
2010 FXT 4EAT
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally I thought that sounded great at idle, but as the air moves past it, it sounds like total crap.

Removed the mufflers to paint the canisters and the inside of the tips black and decided to take it for a drive. Car sounded really good minus all the sound and pressure waves driving right into the floor of the hatch. Cut some flanges off of a friends old stock 2003 2.5rs exhaust and will be using those to make a very very low restriction axle back today. Should make all the sounds minus many of the hp gains but should keep the wife happy too.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
202 Posts
Should be interesting. Post up some pics when your done. What about just replacing the midpipe resonator with something more aggresive. It would give the stock look with more sound

·
Registered
2010 FXT 4EAT
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Could, but the size of these rear mufflers is mind blowing. I honestly think the piping takes a full loop in there as the inlet and outlet aren't at all the same. Paint is drying right now then I'll work on getting some photos taken.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts