·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoa.

New longblock.

---

OK, a little background history - as y'all know, I elected to not mess with this car, mechanically, for more power, as it's a lease.

Good thing.

In terms of maintenance, I've been religious as always...of what's pertinent, the first oil-change took place at 1K miles. I used a Purolator filter, with Shell 5W30 dyno-juice.
This was repeated in the second week of September (we got the car right at the March/April transition), at just over 3500 miles on the ODO. I'm old fashioned, and I still go by the 3K miles or 3-months, whichever first, mantra (and I also wait until 10K to switch over to synthetic). I know, that's overkill, but I like to wrench, and I've got a Fumoto valve. :smile:

No consumption was (ever) noted.

This second oil-change was also prompted in preparation for our then-coming road-trip.

----

The lead-up to the problem.....

We took an approx. 400 mile trip (round-trip figures) to MI, to visit a friend, two weekends ago. This was our first long trip in the Fozzy, nicknamed "Rocky" by our toddler, and she performed beautifully. The trunk swallowed an amazing amount of stuff (required for toddler travel), and the car did amazingly well in one emergency lane-change/swerve, as well as engine-braked beautifully - with the SportShift - to bail me out of an Ohio State Highway Patrol speedtrap (also thanks to the Laser Interceptor, of course) on I-80.

The only thing I could've wished for was better crosswind stability, but aside from that, it's hard not to love this mini-ute.

About 20 miles into our trip home, at highway speeds (approx. 70 MPH), I noticed a slight "buzzing" vibration sound, as if something under the dash was loose. I checked the water bottles and the various accessories that I'd put in to the car, and everything seemed snugged-tight.

The strange thing was that it went away seemingly at random.

I asked my wife if she'd ever heard that sound, she replied that she did not, but then again, she said, "this car's always full of rattles and buzzes." Granted, she keeps a lot of stuff in the car, and I've also told her that it's more of a natural resonance-chamber than her WRX (a sedan) was, so she's never really given it much thought.

The noise really never went away, but with the radio on, it wasn't unbearable.

The car got us home just fine, and seeing as nothing was obviously wrong with the car, otherwise, I'd promptly forgotten about it....

----

The problem:

So I'd forgotten all about it, until a week later (this past Saturday night), when the wife and I went out to dinner.

[ It should be noted that, in the interim, she'd commuted with this car to and from work, all on local roads, without any problems. ]

As soon as we got on the highway, I could hear that vibration noise again (which Sara again denied hearing, all week, during her local-street commutes)...only louder. Again, it seemed to come and go at-will, no rhyme or reason.

We got off the highway, everything was fine, until I threw the car in "Park," at which point the engine just sounded "off," with a noticeable difference in idle sound than that which I've become accustomed to, over the course of owning 3 Subarus, for the past 5 years.

I can't quite describe what sounded wrong - it just did.

We went to dinner, came back out to the car, and as soon as we started it up, it again sounded "wrong."

No CEL, no idiot lights, no violent bucking or shaking - nothing else odd - so we decided that we should just go home, and take it to the dealer on Monday to have it looked at.

Car was fine on the highway, but as soon as we got off, it started, literally, to "clunk."

Stick your finger into a fan with plastic "safety" blades, on low speed, and that's the sound you get.

The highway lets us off about 3 miles from home. At mile 2, as we're slowing to a red-light, the oil-pressure idiot-light starts flickering.

I know that this is not good. IIRC, the oil-pressure light doesn't come on until it's at a shocking 4 PSI.

I pull directly into a gas station, jump out, and head to the trunk for my emergency bottle of engine oil, grabbing a wipe for the dipstick as I go. My first thought, for whatever unknown reason, was that, somehow, all the oil leaked out (beats me as to where it would've gone, though, but I wasn't thinking logically, at that point) - I take out the dipstick, and what do you know, it reads "Full."

I take the gamble, since there's still no CEL, and limp home. The oil-pressure light continues to flicker every once in a while, but the car's steady under cruise, and that knocking sound isn't getting any worse.

We pull in to our garage, and I park the car for the night.

The next morning, I cold-drain the oil. Adding what's in the filter to the drain pan, I get about 4 and 1/2 quarts - about what I'd put in. I put on a new filter, fill up the oil, and re-start the car, symptoms remain.

Contacted Subaru's Roadside Assistance on Monday AM, got a flatbed to tow her to our dealership (which does happen to be the closest) - Ganley Subaru, Bedford.

The Service Advisor immediately said "it doesn't sound good." :( Our salesman, Dennis Marsh, saw me in the bay, and came rushing out - asking me what I was doing there, since he knew that I wrenched, myself.

We all speculated about the potential problems - from the Stop-Sale to the oil-pickup, but no-one really offered anything conclusive. I left with a loaner N/A Forester, 2009.

I called back this afternoon, and the Service Advisor said that he'd already left me a message at my home phone, that it was going to be a new long-block, fully covered under warranty.

The VIN apparently came back within range of some potential problem noted - he did not have any specific detail for me, but I do plan to pursue this further. He said that he'll have a conclusive diagnosis of what went wrong once he pulls the block and disassemble it to have a look-see.

I'll update more as the days pass. They plan to have the car back to us by the 15th.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ I'm glad that they owned-up to it right-away, too.

But since we've now been with this dealership for a while, I was pretty sure that they wouldn't try to hit us with anything. :smile:

Let us know when you find out what happened. I'm curious what this...

Fortunately, it's all covered under warranty.
Will-do, certainly.

And yep, I'm sure glad it's covered - I'm sure glad that I decided against AP'ing her car!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
And yep, I'm sure glad it's covered - I'm sure glad that I decided against AP'ing her car!
That has been a concern of mine also, and I lease as well. Upon further investigation of my VIN, it seems to be in the series for the failure but the dealer/service mgr said that Subaru issued a special check of certain vehicles to see if the failure would exist. I asked him to check to see if the "check" had been performed on my FOZ and after some searching a definate NO was said so.................now I am at 7K and waiting to see. It's not making me all that comfy either. I guess time will tell.

Surprised they just didn't replace the complete engine as some here have gotten. Maybe if you complain you can get a brand new in the crate engine instead of them rebuilding it.......I would think it would be cheaper for SOA considering the labor hours to rebuld but I do not wrench that much anymore :icon_frown:.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That has been a concern of mine also, and I lease as well. Upon further investigation of my VIN, it seems to be in the series for the failure but the dealer/service mgr said that Subaru issued a special check of certain vehicles to see if the failure would exist. I asked him to check to see if the "check" had been performed on my FOZ and after some searching a definate NO was said so.................now I am at 7K and waiting to see. It's not making me all that comfy either. I guess time will tell.
Agreed - the thing is, I don't know exactly when someone whose vehicle falls within/near the VIN-range can breathe free.

I thought that most such failures, if the vehicle did pass the rev-test, still occurred within the first 1K miles or so, but a check of the threads only on SF.org showed two others which saw failures well past the 5K miles mark (I believe one was nearing 15K miles).

I think that all we can do is keep our fingers crossed - expect the worst, but pray and hope for the best. :shrug:

Surprised they just didn't replace the complete engine as some here have gotten. Maybe if you complain you can get a brand new in the crate engine instead of them rebuilding it.......I would think it would be cheaper for SOA considering the labor hours to rebuld but I do not wrench that much anymore :icon_frown:.
It's a longblock, so yep, it's pretty much a new engine.

Most who have had this problem got new shortblocks...so I think that the dealership is, indeed, taking the easier way out, in terms of the work involved. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Agreed - the thing is, I don't know exactly when someone whose vehicle falls within/near the VIN-range can breathe free.

I thought that most such failures, if the vehicle did pass the rev-test, still occurred within the first 1K miles or so, but a check of the threads only on SF.org showed two others which saw failures well past the 5K miles mark (I believe one was nearing 15K miles).

I think that all we can do is keep our fingers crossed - expect the worst, but pray and hope for the best. :shrug:
Thats the part I don't like, I pray for other things and not that my brand new car won't break down. I am a first time Subaru customer after owning many different brands. In some cases after the purchase of a vehicle and seeing the problems it offered I stayed away from future purchases. In this day and age, especially with the current economy, I expect it to be done better! Don't get me wrong.......I really like the FOZ but now I am leary. I was seriously thinking of purchasing it as I have put several mods on it (mostly appearence/comfort) and now I am not sure. My personal feeling is that SOA should have recalled all the XT's within the range and fixed it before it creates a quality/reliability issue scenario and not wait for it to possibly happen, learn from your mistake and move on. This may pose more problems (sales) down the road. I went back to the "consumer reports" issue on the MY09 FOZ and reliability was a ?, but that happens with a new model. I guess thats why Toyota and Honda have expanded/gained market share so much over the last 20 years! Not all Japanese manufacturers are built equally, case in point, Nissan. I owned 2 and never again.........really strong engines, the rest is C _ _ P. JMHO and experience!

Fool me once, shame on you,,,,fool me twice shame on me.......not gonna be a 3rd time!

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ :woohoo:

---

Thats the part I don't like, I pray for other things and not that my brand new car won't break down. I am a first time Subaru customer after owning many different brands. In some cases after the purchase of a vehicle and seeing the problems it offered I stayed away from future purchases. In this day and age, especially with the current economy, I expect it to be done better! Don't get me wrong.......I really like the FOZ but now I am leary. I was seriously thinking of purchasing it as I have put several mods on it (mostly appearence/comfort) and now I am not sure. My personal feeling is that SOA should have recalled all the XT's within the range and fixed it before it creates a quality/reliability issue scenario and not wait for it to possibly happen, learn from your mistake and move on. This may pose more problems (sales) down the road. I went back to the "consumer reports" issue on the MY09 FOZ and reliability was a ?, but that happens with a new model. I guess thats why Toyota and Honda have expanded/gained market share so much over the last 20 years! Not all Japanese manufacturers are built equally, case in point, Nissan. I owned 2 and never again.........really strong engines, the rest is C _ _ P. JMHO and experience!

Fool me once, shame on you,,,,fool me twice shame on me.......not gonna be a 3rd time!
I totally understand what you're saying - indeed, I think, particularly for first-time Subaru owners and/or those who have purchased the vehicle and are running into this problem, it's going to leave quite a sour taste in their mouths.

Even a guy like me, now a decently long-time Subaru lover, although I can understand how it happened and can understand their resolution (plus work out the math in my head, Fight Club style, in relation to the recall -versus- no-recall decision), it still doesn't make me happy, nor particularly proud of the brand for how they handled this particular situation.

Certainly, this is a black-eye on Fuji Heavy and Subaru.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ No kidding! :wink:

But that's the good part about leasing - particularly for Sara, who's (not purposefully, it's just that she doesn't have much mechanical empathy) not all that kind to her vehicle - it gets turned-in, right when the Warranty is gone. :smile:

What really surprised me was that this can happen with so many miles on the ODO - and ours isn't the highest number, by far.

Engine should be here by Monday.

They expect to return the car to us by later this coming week.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The new engine is here.

They expect to have it done by tomorrow afternoon - we'll likely pick-up on Thursday.

I spoke to one of the techs, and he says that they're just pulling the engine, and that it goes back to corporate for the dissection. He does not think that we'll ever know exactly what happened, unfortunately. :frown:

Oh, and you guys will never believe this - my wife crashed the '09 2.5X that was given to us as a loaner (we're now in an '09 VW Jetta 2.5 - the dealership is a "twin" dealership, and on Saturday, when the accident happened, the Subaru portion was not open, so we couldn't get a Subaru loaner; a little off-topic, but I honestly wouldn't mind driving around, in a daily-errand/commute sense, on local streets, that little Jetta, it's pretty fun! :smile:).

She pretty much left-turned into oncoming traffic.... :eek: :redface: She'd merged into the left-turn lane, only to have the guy in front of her literally creep forward, several tens of feet short of the intersection, so she pulled out and passed, merging back into the turn lane, at which point, looking in the rearview, she thought that the guy was going to rear-end her. On-instinct, she must've cut the wheel too far to the left or edged forward too much (already with the wheel still pointed leftward), and clipped an oncoming car.

No airbags were deployed, on any of the three vehicles involved.

No-one was injured, thankfully - and Anna, in her Britax Marathon, in the back, didn't even know that there'd been an accident, despite the car having been spun around!

Sturdy car.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester limi
94 Posts
hi

Hi,

It is nice to hear your engine is ready to be fitted. Look at my post same thing happened to me and they send the broken!!!!!!! engine back and I do not know what happened.

Since I have 2 09 Foresters they gave me gold plan warranty for both the cars. Try your best they might offer you something better.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me.

regards

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
The new engine is here.

They expect to have it done by tomorrow afternoon - we'll likely pick-up on Thursday.

I spoke to one of the techs, and he says that they're just pulling the engine, and that it goes back to corporate for the dissection. He does not think that we'll ever know exactly what happened, unfortunately. :frown:

Oh, and you guys will never believe this - my wife crashed the '09 2.5X that was given to us as a loaner (we're now in an '09 VW Jetta 2.5 - the dealership is a "twin" dealership, and on Saturday, when the accident happened, the Subaru portion was not open, so we couldn't get a Subaru loaner; a little off-topic, but I honestly wouldn't mind driving around, in a daily-errand/commute sense, on local streets, that little Jetta, it's pretty fun! :smile:).

She pretty much left-turned into oncoming traffic.... :eek: :redface: She'd merged into the left-turn lane, only to have the guy in front of her literally creep forward, several tens of feet short of the intersection, so she pulled out and passed, merging back into the turn lane, at which point, looking in the rearview, she thought that the guy was going to rear-end her. On-instinct, she must've cut the wheel too far to the left or edged forward too much (already with the wheel still pointed leftward), and clipped an oncoming car.

No airbags were deployed, on any of the three vehicles involved.

No-one was injured, thankfully - and Anna, in her Britax Marathon, in the back, didn't even know that there'd been an accident, despite the car having been spun around!

Sturdy car.

Glad she is ok man! Good luck getting the FXT on the road!

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^ Thanks, bro! :smile:

Hi,

It is nice to hear your engine is ready to be fitted. Look at my post same thing happened to me and they send the broken!!!!!!! engine back and I do not know what happened.

Since I have 2 09 Foresters they gave me gold plan warranty for both the cars. Try your best they might offer you something better.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me.

regards
Thank you, too, for your friendly words! :smile:

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Picked her up yesterday afternoon.

So far, so good.

The only thing that the dealership forgot was the Fumoto valve on the old engine. They're pulling it off the pan for me, now, and I'm going back for it tonight.

I will check back here to post VIN as well as build-date, as well as to add this to the growing list in the "Stop Sale" thread.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
^Thats cool you noticed the valve. There were several 08 spec b's locally that had engine failures, as well as a new 09 xt. The dealer mechanics were told to pull the engines and send them back to subaru for inspection.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ It was a lucky pickup - since we were planning to take a road-trip out to (and now are in) Washington, D.C., for a Peds convention that my wife's speaking at, I gave Rocky a once-over when she returned home, and part of that was checking underneath. :biggrin:

One of the techs told me that the longblocks arrive from Subaru "dry," and with the drain plug literally still painted on.

That was certainly the case, with this particular replacement.

----

400+ miles logged on new longblock. All's OK so far.

I'm being gentle with Rocky's new heart. :icon_biggrin:

[ PS: Thanks, to the watchful mod who moved this set of postings out of my original thread. :smile: ]

1 - 20 of 63 Posts