Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 6 year/84k mile warranty on my '09 because I was an early adopter (April '08). Warranty is up in April this year. In the past, I have made out on almost every extended auto warranty I've bought, and I guess I'm gonna make out OK on this one. They already gave me some new valve cover gaskets, spark plug tubes, and a new set of wires at ~65k miles under warranty when I had them change the plugs.

Early this winter, I got a grind/squeal bearing noise when starting from cold--sounded like a belt idler or something, but the noise would change when I pushed in the clutch pedal. And go away once I started driving. I talked to the svc manager at my dealership about it, and because the noise has been getting more regular during this arctic cold snap, decided to take the Foz in on Monday evening so they could start it up on Tuesday morning and hear the noise. They heard the noise, took it apart, and the release bearing is bad--has noticeable play in it.

My decision was whether I wanted to pay another $340 in parts for a new clutch disc and pressure plate...at 70k, mine were less than half worn and looked fine, but because I'm in for the long haul, decided to spend the money and have them change the parts out. New pilot bearing as well. (It helps that I have over a grand in Subaru charge card certs in my drawer so my net cost will be zero...the rest of the certs will be saved for a timing belt at 105k.) This was a tough choice to make, but since the labor is the big cost in a clutch replacement, figured I'd pay the bucks to get me another 8 or 10 years down the road.

I am pissed that the Subaru charge card program ends in September, but it was a good run while it lasted. I'll have to look at new charge cards with a payback come October.

Svc manager at my dealer (Hodges in Ferndale, MI, former home of Ben Sablehaus) is a GREAT guy and in addition to being a long term Subaru person, plan to be a long term Hodges person. Kudos to Hodges Subaru, the oldest Subaru-only dealer in Michigan.

George

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
51 Posts
Looks like I'm having a similar problem to you. Makes that same noise with the clutch pushed in. Doesn't seem to do it as loud once warmed up, but in this arctic snap it's quite loud upon initial start-up. Been about a month - probably can't sit on it any longer.
Sadly I'm having a few other issues popping up at 75k - primarily the throttle position sensor seems to be going as I'm getting a pretty abrupt stumble from time to time. Bad timing, too, as we just had 6-8 inches of snow dump down on us.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts