Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase a used 2009 STi TMIC for a great deal... I just want to confirm that it fits my 2004 FXT before I spend the $$.

I have heard that it is a little big bigger than 04-07 STi TMIC's. I am gathering parts to VF39 my 04 FXT.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
It fits I've got one on now, look up tuned200/tunergirl journal page. There was just a thread up about his maybe two weeks ago. It will not fit with the td04 you will have to wait till the vf39 goes in.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I believe you have to modify one of the mounts to get it to bolt down, but it isn't anything major. I'd take an 08/09 over an 04-07 STi TMIC.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Right no I am running without a pssenger side mount attached. (Just took the mount out for now) it is very soild even without the bracket attached betwween the throttle body, turbo, driver's bracket, and resting against the ac line it doesn't move at all.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers and for the link and for not newb bashing... I promised I searched, I guess not hard enough (used the number 2009 in the search not 08)
I checked out that member journal, it is great thanks.

I got an 04 sti ecu for $125, STi uppipe for $40, and now a 09 STi TMIC for 250 (w/ y-pipe and recirc)
Now I just need a vf39 for $300 and I will do the ultimate budget power install!!!

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
I believe you have to modify one of the mounts to get it to bolt down, but it isn't anything major. I'd take an 08/09 over an 04-07 STi TMIC.
Yes ! I didn't know this but thankfully the shop installing it (Subaru tech) noticed and said to buy that specific part. Its the passenger side one. I have the 08 which is the same as the 09, side by side you'll see its a much better IC than the previous versions.

$250 is an excellent price. I can't believe the STI guys get rid of them but then again that's a great source of parts so keep it up.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT Mt
197 Posts
Real quick on this topic dose the passenger side bracket from the STI 08-09 TMIC bolt up in same location as the stock TMIC bracket from 2.5 xt. Does any one have pictures of what a 08-09 passenger side bracket looks like in comparison to the a modified bracket

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
fxt illustration, refer to #16:
http://opposedforces.com/parts/fore...stem_turbocharger/intercooler/illustration_1/

'08 sti illustration, refer to #10:
http://opposedforces.com/parts/impr...e_and_supply_system_turbocharger/intercooler/

while the part #'s aren't listed on both (how convenient) the drawings make the driver's side bracket appear pretty much the same.

here are some good images of an '08 sti going through a downpipe install.

notice the passenger side intercooler bracket. it is a 2 piece bracket. the lower half looks the same as our fxt one does to me. the upper half you can see where it bolts to our stock tmic location and is extended around with the new bolt hole for the larger '08 tmic. i think the upper half of the bracket runs around and bolts near the water tank? i really don't know. if you wanted to pay more $ for the oem part and see if it will fit easily then cool. but it would not be hard at all to take a thin piece of metal and make a small extension.

i also like how the a/c lines run under the intercooler haha. i wish that would be an easy swap for our cars. i really don't like our a/c lines when it comes to top mounts. i wish we had '04-'05 sti style a/c lines, that would help a bit. that's a whole new thread if anyone has done that yet.

·
Registered
MY04 Fozzy 6spd
1,264 Posts

my 08 sti top mount. It's not straight but it works. Put rubber tubing over your AC lines. And get the bracket or make a bracket for the passenger side.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
When I bought my 08 STI intercooler the seller sent the brackets with it (minus the extra passenger one). The passenger bracket that bolts to the trans was identical to mine, so the OEM extension should bolt up just fine. However the driver side bracket was different than ours, not by much it extended farther toward the fender (by about 1/2"). The problem is if you use the STI driver's side bracket the IC outlet won't line up with the throttle body. With that said I am not sure that just the passenger bracket will get us there. If it does I will order it tomorrow. Found an example, 08 STI IC install

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Manual
33 Posts
Hi,

Just checking in - did anyone have success with their install?

I'm going from 04 XT stock TMIC to 14 sti TMIC. The mounts do seem slightly off on the driver's side ~.25-.5in (possibly close enough) and the passenger side definitely seems like it will need the extension.

I have not found an oem passenger side bracket that looks like it would work.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
I've run mine without the passenger side bracket for years. Its solid and just fine.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I always find that local people give better deals than online sales.

if someone has taken the time to take pics and post on ebay or nasioc or something like that, they tend to want a good price, also cuz they have to go through the hassle of shipping.

But people local to you who modified their cars and have stock parts sitting on a shelf in the garage and are too lazy to post them for sale, typically make really great deals, especially if you are standing their with cash. I go to my local subaru meets, and participate on my local subaru club (I live in maine, so all the subaru enthusiasts around me connect on mainelysubarus.com) When I notice that someone is talking about thier new fancy uppipe or turbo on their STI, I ask "what did you do with your stock one? I'll buy it from you" and usually that has been enough to make great deals.

that being said, I no longer have my forester. put it back to stock and sold it a year ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts