Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
08 STi Springs on a 09 Forester XT

I DID THIS BECAUSE I WAS BORED AND WANTED TO SEE IF IT WOULD WORK. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS SET-UP IS NOT "CORRECT", PROCEED AT USER'S OWN RISK. THANKS

Hey yall,
I know many have been curious to see if 08 STi springs will work on our 09 Foresters. Well, the answer is yes and it lowered my car ~2" all around. Check out the pics.

Just to clarify;

If you want to keep your Forester upper spring perches you must find FRONT 04-07 STi springs and REAR 08-10 STi springs.

If you want only to buy 08-10 STi springs then you must buy FRONT 08-10 STI upper spring perches. (This set-up allows too much spring play/movement IMO)

In both conditions, you can use the Stock tophats. STi and Forester top hats are the same shape.

I didn't like either set-up so I just went full out and fabricated Stock STi struts and springs onto the 5x100 hubs. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/08-sti-struts-09-fxt-65674/

Stock ride

STi springs on Forester XT

Just for fun my buddies 07 STi and the 09 FXT

These are the correct STi upper spring perches you need for the front STi spring swap part #20323AG00

As you can tell they are very different than the 09' Forester upper spring perches. Like I said, the spring shape on the STi springs are a little bit different. This is just a shot out there but I bet the easier fitment is 04-07 STi spring on the stock Forester upper spring perches. On my older 06 STi they are the same spring perches as the 09 Forester XT. But what the hey, I got nothing else to do right now so lets find a way to make the 08 STi springs work, lol.

Forester XT springs vs STi springs, notice the differences in height and shape especially at the top.

Here's a great video for install reference.

Update: I found some 08 STi struts with Swift lowering springs on them. Lets see how the fitment goes.... Will post pics soon. I'm doing the instal Saturday (12/19/09).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
looks good... any install tips, changes, mods to be done before installation?
and
how is the ride quality?
By the way I love the Hellas.

This is my wife's car so everything besides the wheels, front chin spoiler and HIDs everything else was stock. The rear end strut removal was the trickiest. You must disconnect the rear endlinks to control arms to allow for enough travel to remove the strut. I also had to have my buddy press down on the rotor/knukle to seperate the bottom of the strut from control arm. On the front strut set-up, the STi spring is a little but different shape than the Forester stock spring. I also cut the OEM bumps stop for more travel. I was able to make it work but if I was to do this again, I would find a 08-10 STi upper spring perch (not the top hat) and then it would fit perfectly. I'm even thinking about getting the 08-10 Swift lowering springs to see if I can get the wheels to tuck even more. The ride quality IMO is a ton better. In the stock ride when I would go over speed bump the rear end would slap down hard. Now it is nice and solid. All around it is more solid. Let me know if you got more questions.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Damn those wheels are hot! What wheel size and tires do you have and who makes them?

I'd like to see STi seats in the foz too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rota Torques from Dan at Wheeldude. They are 18x9.5 245/40/18 and I think they are
+35 offset but I could be wrong. Yes on the Sports grille but I must figure a way to remove the Subaru badge. The sports grill makes the car look like a Ford Excape with the badge on it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes they are indeed available and the official importers are based in my state!

I'd put a bit more profile on mine as I want to do some trail hacking.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes they are indeed available and the official importers are based in my state!

I'd put a bit more profile on mine as I want to do some trail hacking.
After experimenting with the FXT's wheels I have realized that there is sooo much room in the fenders on stock ride height especialy in the rear. Once the wife wears these tires down I'm going to put on minimum 255s. If you want a wider wheel but with less concave face go with a 18x8.5 with a higher offset. I picked these wheels out specifically because I wanted a concave face and they clear Brembos. Let me see if I have any other wheels pics.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you want a wider wheel but with less concave face go with a 18x8.5 with a higher offset. I picked these wheels out specifically because I wanted a concave face and they clear Brembos. Let me see if I have any other wheels pics.
Yeah I'd be going for the concave look too. Makes the car look more purposeful :)

1 - 20 of 114 Posts