Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just washed my car and realized the passenger's side gap is larger than driver's side

Anyone knows how to do hood alignment???

Thank you

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Body panel alignment can be tedious and difficult because for every move you induce in a panel, it may require two more moves in other to even things up and if the gap-age isn't too bad, you may want to leave it alone but if you do intend to mess with it, you may also have to shift the fenders as well, good luck with it, please let us know if you move it around and how it turns out for you.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
98 Posts
i've always had better luck with a second set of hands for this type of work...a real pita...worth it for some though

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I can save some times if I adjust the hood by myself...

Now I guess I will take a trip to dealer ...should be covered by warranty...

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found some info from the service manual

may try tomorrow if I have time

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
That looks like it will help but remember, a little adjustment goes a long way and unless you move the fenders, you won't won't be able to decrease the gap between them and the hood, you can only even it out

I installed a glass hood on my Titan and although we fooled around with it for an hour and a half, I don't really think we got it to fit much better and than it did initially, and making slight adjustments to body panels in order to improve appearance is it kind of like trying to herd cats, for every one you get in the coral, two more escape, lol.

Good luck with it and as the previous poster mentioned, a second pair of hands can come in mighty handy when herding cats.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
Let the dealer do it. I'm sure you can, but when THEY screw it up, THEY have to fix it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Let the dealer do it. I'm sure you can, but when THEY screw it up, THEY have to fix it.
That would be a nice code of dealer ethics, I just wish it were true in all cases, lol.

My motto is, if I can fix it myself and have the time I often do because in the end, nobody cares as much about your ride as you. That being said, if you aren't comfortable DIYing it and can't live with it either, by all means, take it to the dealer, but be prepared to piss and moan about it until you are satisfied because in many instances, you will get something back that is worse than what you brought in.

If it were me, I would at least take some photos of the issue prior to them messing with it because you never know when they are going to decide to "train" someone using your car as the guinea pig and always remember, the guy working on it is as, if not more important than the dealership you take it to and I make a point to know a bit about anyone who touches my ride, good luck.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My motto is, if I can fix it myself and have the time I often do because in the end, nobody cares as much about your ride as you.

If it were me, I would at least take some photos of the issue
That is why I really want to fix by myself...

Will take some photos just in case

1 - 10 of 10 Posts