Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone.

I'm looking to upgrade my headlights as I find the Halogen globes to not be bright enough.
I was thinking that I will need to upgrade the entire headlight housing as well as I cant find a kit that will just allow me to change the globe to say LED (not sold on the LEDs just yet).

I want to know if anyone has done a upgrade and has any recommendation.
I have attached a photo (stolen from the internet :grin2:) of what I was thinking I would upgrade to.

Also recommendations (preferably AU) on where I could get the headlights from would be grate.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
Your problem is that you are limited due to the requiements of RHD (the picture you posted is LHD US model).

Have you tried uprated Halogen bulbs?? There are some now that put out 150% more light, although not certain which brands are available in Australia.

An example:
https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RW1577

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
5 Posts
There are quite a few headlights like this on Alibaba/AliExpress, but I’m not sure they will be suitable for our RHD needs (I’m in South Africa)

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
873 Posts
Also recommendations (preferably AU)
The biggest problem with this is the lights must comply with Australian Design Rules (ADR) which are very restrictive. I doubt you will find lights that do and the cost of getting non ADR approved lights certified will run into many thousands.

Put on non ADR complying lights and you will face fines and the car will be defected if they are detected. There can be major issues with light cutoffs with after market LED lights which will likely alert the first cops the lights blind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts