Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there again.
Well after the STi strut conversion I thought I would paint the headlights and the grille. I haven't been sold on the sports grille yet so I thought I would try painting the center insert. I had to take off the front bumper to remove the headlights so it only made sense to do the grille as well. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2010 XT 4eat
604 Posts
OMG that looks like fire! I love it. I feel the same about the sports grill. I think what you did with the stock grill looks wayyyyyy better. Nice forester!

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the kind words. Let me know if any of you have questions of what I did. I also took photos of the backside of the headlight housings and the center insert of the grille.

very impressive.

what kind of paint did you use for the grill? I think I will try it.
On the grille insert I used Krylon Fusion primer and flat black and on the Headlights I used Krylon flat black and primer.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I still don't know why Subaru stopped blackening the headlamps after the 03-05 models. The 09's looks SO much better blackend.

As for the grille, it looks LOADS better, but I'm thinking it'll look sportier if the chrome was painted to match the body......just a suggestion. :)

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
This black piece needs to come off before the oven. 2 10mm bolts and 1 screw per headlight. It is a bracket that acts as a support for the bumper cover.

Three screws on the right need to come off

Two screws on the left need to come off

My buddy and I always do 220 degrees F for 12-15min then separate the lense from the housing.
There's tons of write-ups on how to bake and paint headlights so I won't get into too much detail.

Info on the grille:
After removing the entire front bumper cover you will gain access to screws on the backside of the grille, 2 left side, 2 right side and 2 at the bottom. Once the grille is separated from the bumper cover, there are approxe. 10 small screws holding the center insert from the chrome cover. I'm sure someone soon will attempt the type RA-R red pinstripe.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
125 Posts
YES!!!! I will do this to my grill when the snow melts. It will look killer with my black FOZ. The headlights look awesome too, but I'm slightly hesitant to crack open my lamp housings. This makes a night and day difference to front end styling of the '09. GOOD JOB.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Looks great and as we discussed in another thread I think it was the way to go (grille). This leaves me with a dilemma........I have seen it done to match the body color which on mine is White. Not sure how that will look, and the black may be very nice but I may want to do it in Gloss. I like the flat but I think the Gloss will make it pop better......JMO though. I will probably not be doing the HL's. Good Job! :rock:

I am not sure about this but if I can I will try to order the insert to the grille seperately, if not I will look for a used one (complete). I have seen them on ebay already. Reasoning......I want to cut out the parts of the grille that block/restrict the air flow (they show up real well in your picture of the grille insert) and get a bit more air into the EC. Living in S. FLA I'm really not too concerned about the cold but the heat is another issue!

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Finally, an SH owner with some balls to mod their car!

I was getting a lil' concerned that all the Newbie members were just here for cargo nets and roof racks! : )

Nice work! Looks like the Singapore folks have some stiff competition.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts

I was getting a lil' concerned that all the Newbie members were just here for cargo nets and roof racks! : )

My thoughts exactly... And RAPTR is in the Bay Area! Would really love to see this ride up close and personal at one of our next gatherings!

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My thoughts exactly... And RAPTR is in the Bay Area! Would really love to see this ride up close and personal at one of our next gatherings!
I'm definitely down to meet sometime. I work on a few cars in the Novato area so maybe you could come down for lunch sometime. You can check out all the other suby creations I'm working on. I was going to go to a install day over at your place one weekend but you had to move the day and I wasn't able to make it.

·
Administrator
29,431 Posts
Would love to, and Novato is only a 20-30 minute drive from where we live. Send me a pm and let me know when you're available. Roo and I are pretty much wide open, schedule-wise (the joys of being unemployed, heh!)...

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts

My thoughts exactly
this hurt my feelings a little. :icon_cry:

·
Administrator
29,431 Posts
Well ok, maybe he's not the first one to mod an SH... :wink:

But it seems like the vast majority of the new owners prefer their cars somewhat unmolested. We need more pioneers like you guys!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts