Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting this build thread for everybody that is looking to swap their engine with one from a GR gen STI.

The donor car is 2009 Forester XT with 123k miles and an overheated EJ255. The EJ257 engine is from a 2012 STI with 60k miles. Some performance mods will be done to reach the target 270-280whp.

Stay Tuned!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After doing some research and talking to a few experienced owners and shops it was determined that the optimal way to get the EJ257 ready for the swap is to replace the dual AVCS W25 heads + cams with single AVCS D25 WRX heads + cams. Picked up a set of used 2011 WRX heads with cams an sent them to get rebuild. I could have tried to use the heads from the overheated engine but that requires removing the engine first and I prefer to have the EJ257 ready before I proceed with the EJ255 removal.

The mods list to try and reach 300whp on 93 pump gas are the following:

Cobb AP
Cobb Up Pipe
Invidia Catted Pipe
VF48 Turbo with billet compressor wheel
Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
Cobb SF intake
Perrin inlet hose
TGV deletes
Mishimoto TMIC
Perrin BPV
Grimmspeed Y pipe with hoses
Air Pump deleted
Koyo Radiator
Transmission oil cooler
Grimmspeed AOS
Touring/Premier model dash cluster

Started to strip down the EJ257 for the heads swap.
Overall a very clean engine with a very few rusted bolts.
Even though it has 60K miles most timing belt rollers and idlers were shot. I ended up ordering replacements along with a belt and a water pump. Ordered a few new hoses for the ones that felt like they turned into plastic and an array of gaskets and seals to replace while everything is easily accessible.

I found a decent amount of oil in the intake manifold and compressor side of the turbo. It appears this is normal for these engines and thus an AOS is highly recommended. The turbo is going to be rebuilt by Pavel's Racing Engines in Illinois and will upgrade the compressor wheel to a billet unit.

Removing the cap bolts that hold the AVCS cam sprockets was a breeze thanks to getting the specialty tools from Company 23, CTA Tools and few tricks provided by a fellow Subaru enthusiast and master mechanic.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The VF48 has been rebuilt with billet compressor and CNC thrust bearing.

I took the oil pan off and oil pump as well and found a surprise which is still being investigated: 3 small metal non-ferrous pieces at the bottom of the oil pan.

I cleaned some carbon build up from the top of the pistons and will be picking up the rebuilt D25 heads today.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
4 Posts
Check this thread, he did the EJ257 swap with the W25 heads, there are links to how he disabled the exhaust AVCS.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check this thread, he did the EJ257 swap with the W25 heads, there are links to how he disabled the exhaust AVCS.

Thanks! I have been through this thread many times over.
I have decided to go with the WRX D25 heads to simplify things from my perspective and tuning perspective. I think the author of the thread ended up advising to go with a non AVCS exhaust cam at the end instead of plugging the AVCS one.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did some more work on the engine. Cleaned the carbon from the Pistons, installed the fresh heads with ARP head studs, installed the oil pump back on after inspection and cleaning, installed Killer B windage tray and oil pick up and did valve clearance/lash adjustment on the bench and on the block.
The general observation is that the clearances on the block got tighter by 0.02mm compared to what they were when measured on the bench. Also, I highly recommend measuring all lifters/tappets/buckets with a micrometer as all used ones I had from the engine had about 0.02 to 0.03mm wear compared to what is stamped on them. I had to order 9 new buckets from Subaru to get all clearances perfect.

I test fitted STI Gold Brembos at the front and they bolt right up. Just need to get 5x100 STI rotors.
Also, picked up a set of OZ Racing Grand Turismo 18x8 ET35 wheels which seem to fit quite nicely. Need to lower the car and get higher profile tires next.

'09 FXT w/complete EJ257

1 - 6 of 6 Posts