Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2009 Forestor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Forester xlt- 18,500 miles on it died Sat. I have religously maintained the car. Yesterday when I went to start it- herd a loud (within the engine clank. (Subaru dealer says- it's a rod).. Since I change my own oil, and because I admited using Syn. Mobil one (5W30) They will not cover under my subaru Warranty.
Not sure what's next, other then Ontario Subaru will charge storage, so I have to get out, back home.
Not very good customer service, to say the least:icon_redface:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Sorry to see that this is still an ongoing issue with the newer turbo models. Check out the master thread here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...s-turbo-stop-sale-certain-08-09-models-31757/

SOA should not be denying warranty coverage on the basis of DIY maintenance (or for using synth, for that matter), though, if you can document the oil changes. If I'm not mistaken, the owners manual specifically states that synthetic oil can be used with no problem, and you were using the correct grade.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Ltd
46 Posts
What's the build date of your car? If it's under the recall/stop-sale, it shouldn't make any difference who changed your oil, or even if it was changed at all! The engine was defective, and they have to take care of it, period.
If it's not under the stop-sale, different story, more of a battle ahead.

Good luck, and keep us posted, please.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
That's a B/S, call subaru corporate, and mention the recalls. Stay on your toe's make surre you wont budge I am surre you will find someone to listen to faster than at the delears.

·
Registered
1997 Outback
15 Posts
My 2009 Forester xlt- 18,500 miles on it died Sat. I have religously maintained the car. Yesterday when I went to start it- herd a loud (within the engine clank. (Subaru dealer says- it's a rod).. Since I change my own oil, and because I admited using Syn. Mobil one (5W30) They will not cover under my subaru Warranty.
Not sure what's next, other then Ontario Subaru will charge storage, so I have to get out, back home.
Not very good customer service, to say the least:icon_redface:
The way Subaru is treating you is atrocious and totally unacceptable.

In view of the number of head gasket problems the 2.5 has and the penchant of the turbo to fail as documented by large numbers of reports online, I don't see how anyone can come to any other conclusion than that Subaru's four cylinder Boxers are inherently defective and badly engineered.

As one who personally suffered a head gasket failure with resultant destruction of the engine and who received not one dime of assistance from Subaru towards its repair, I am one long-time owner who is most reluctant to ever buy another Subaru product.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
SOA should not be denying warranty coverage on the basis of DIY maintenance (or for using synth, for that matter), though, if you can document the oil changes. If I'm not mistaken, the owners manual specifically states that synthetic oil can be used with no problem, and you were using the correct grade.
I agree with Silke except that it is recommended to change to synthetic after or at 10,000 miles. Personally I would scream bloddy hell at subaru for this problem. You may also want to check on the lemon laws in your state since there was the stop sale and issues are still happening. I really hope this gets resolved for you.

·
Banned
2009 Forestor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have been re-activated, (Military) and will be away for a bit. I could spend my last 3 weeks fighting these subie folks, or with my wife and kids. I'll get the car back home, and come up with a plan. The Subie Cust. service was condensending, and ask me how can I prove the reciepts they ask me to fax from Autozone were for the Forester. and with continued challanges of what type of oil I used. I fly AH-64 D's for a living, lately in not so nice places, I don't earn a lot of money, and, as she pointed out; am I ready to take on a giant like Subaru. I'm actually from the old school and perfer to my own minor maintenance, and sure I'm ready!

·
Banned
2009 Forestor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And by the way- I have lots of friends who still do thier own oil changes, doesn't make us dum- just poor folks trying to get by.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
Fly down to the dealership in your company vehicle & see if you can change their mind :biggrin:

Good Luck (for Subaru & the job)
i can see that now...........
"phone rings at stealership, umm ya hi im the guy in the apache gunship flying over your shop, i was just wondering how many 30mm rounds it going to take before you grant my warranty claim, thanks"

but if that is out, i would get in touch with SOA, just bypass the dealer, explain your problem (it wouldnt hurt to bring up the fact that your active duty military and are shipping out soon, just watch out that you dont run into any problems with opsec), bring up that the dealership was rude, and didnt handle your claim in a way which you have come to expect from a great company such as subaru

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
I knew this kid a few years back, (kinda irrelevant but relevant at the same time) but he had bought a used low mileage Saturn Vue at our local Subaru Dealership. He had the service done right at the dealership too. When he got the car back from service his Ipod had vanished out of the Ipod dock he had installed in the car. This kid was training to become a cop and was working as a 911 dispatcher (For Franklin county mass minus the Springfield area). He confronted them his Ipod was missing after the service, they wanted nothing to do with it. He later return in full uniform with another officer in a cruiser (They even turned the red and blues on for effect). After 5 min of the officer screaming this kid got a check for his stolen Ipod and a bunch of free service. Now that's how you get a stealership on their knees!

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Do you have oil change receipts for filter and oil, documented dates, and how long was the interval - did you extend it beyound the severe service rec? Also an oil sample can be taken from the engine to prove oil is good - If not: lawsuit. Easy to win since of the history of most turbos failing. This is a $7000+ issue dont let it languish. I would NOT remove the vehicle from the dealer until a witnessed oil sample is taken and shipped off from site to an oil analysis lab. By the way, Mobil 1 5w-30 is just semi-synthetic only having 30% PAO ( Per MSDS) so no need to wait to switchover. BTW - What filter wrer you running? OEM?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Analyzing an oil sample is a waste of money in this case. Without dated receipts with mileage noted, there is no proof the oil was changed in the first 18,000 miles. Who's to say that the oil wasn't changed for the first time the day before the engine exploded? In a case such as that, the oil would test out okay, so it's a moot point.
The stop sale is also a waste. If the car were involved, he wouldn't have been able to purchase it, or would have been notified by Subaru. If you ignore a recall notice, that doesn't mean you can not maintain the car and expect coverage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Frank,

First of all, thanks for your service to our country.

I'm very surprised that Subaru is trying to pull this on you. As someone else pointed out, this can be a very costly issue so it is worth your time to take care of it.

You have every right to change your own oil, and the Magnuson-Moss Act is meant to protect you against this kind thing.
Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act

While some kind of records may help prove your case, I believe it is up to Subaru to prove that you failed to perform scheduled maintenance which led to your engine failure. Did you follow the appropriate oil change intervals? If your vehicle was part of the recall and you failed to bring it in for service, then I'm afraid you are liable, provided Subaru contacted you about it.

It may be well worth your time (and money!) to speak to a lawyer that knows about lemon laws, magnuson-moss, etc. It may cost a few hundred bucks, but a well crafted letter from a lawyer to SOA might put this matter to rest and potentially save you thousands of dollars as well as precious time with your family.

·
Banned
2009 Forestor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great Comments

Thanks for your help/support! To answer the question relative to what filter and change intervals- Bought the car new- 2.5 T. First change of oil was a complimentary stealer deal at 3,500mi (oil/filter from dealer). I then did my own at 3,000 mi intervals, using Mobil 1 5W/30 with a subie filter, Chevron 91 octane gas. Supplied dealer with all reciepts for Auto Zone, and was challanged, How do we know this was for the Subaru? No problems at all with performance, of course until rod/egine quit working last week. I am going to get a sample of my engine oil, I am confident this will reveal, it wasn't the oil.
Today I will reclaim the car from the dealer, who was going to charge storage fees of three days, but general manager there, said he would drop that.
What ever happend to just plain common courtesy. Why do dealers seem to have so much destain/mistrust for the customer. Have we been that bad? I know the auto industries have fallen on hard times, but the ones that don't get thier head out thier ----s, will be only a memory in less then 2 decades.

I will have no choice, financially, but to go to court to settle this. I am not sure how all that works, but hearing that lady from subaru customer service laugh at me when I made that comment, only fueled the fire. Thanks again for help, I'll try and catch up when I come home.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
I have been re-activated, (Military) and will be away for a bit. I could spend my last 3 weeks fighting these subie folks, or with my wife and kids. I'll get the car back home, and come up with a plan. The Subie Cust. service was condensending, and ask me how can I prove the reciepts they ask me to fax from Autozone were for the Forester. and with continued challanges of what type of oil I used. I fly AH-64 D's for a living, lately in not so nice places, I don't earn a lot of money, and, as she pointed out; am I ready to take on a giant like Subaru. I'm actually from the old school and perfer to my own minor maintenance, and sure I'm ready!
I admire your mindset as far as spending your time wisely goes. I know your kids should appreciate every moment they get with you, I know I would have! (Navy brat here :Banane14: )

:lol: Flying it down there sounds awesome, but I know all too well that it would be the last time you flew anything. Unless your CO is a cool guy (or you are the CO!).

If your VIN fits, this should be a recall, it shouldn't matter what you put in the crank case and how often you did it, really. When I took our '05 in for the fuel valve recall, they didn't ask me what gas I used and how often I filled up. I know this is a different thing, but a recall is a recall. Fight the good fight, just like you do elsewhere in the world.

Good luck, and thanks for serving our country. Imma keep you in my prayers. :wink:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Thanks for your help/support! To answer the question relative to what filter and change intervals- Bought the car new- 2.5 T. First change of oil was a complimentary stealer deal at 3,500mi (oil/filter from dealer). I then did my own at 3,000 mi intervals, using Mobil 1 5W/30 with a subie filter, Chevron 91 octane gas. Supplied dealer with all reciepts for Auto Zone, and was challanged, How do we know this was for the Subaru? No problems at all with performance, of course until rod/egine quit working last week. I am going to get a sample of my engine oil, I am confident this will reveal, it wasn't the oil.
Today I will reclaim the car from the dealer, who was going to charge storage fees of three days, but general manager there, said he would drop that.
What ever happend to just plain common courtesy. Why do dealers seem to have so much destain/mistrust for the customer. Have we been that bad? I know the auto industries have fallen on hard times, but the ones that don't get thier head out thier ----s, will be only a memory in less then 2 decades.

I will have no choice, financially, but to go to court to settle this. I am not sure how all that works, but hearing that lady from subaru customer service laugh at me when I made that comment, only fueled the fire. Thanks again for help, I'll try and catch up when I come home.
Sorry to hear this and I hope SOA does the right thing. This is especially disturbing to me because I have the same make and MY you do and I will certainly be very careful to document everything on mine with either shop receipts or photos so as not to suffer the same fate.

I guess the dealerships we choose to do business with make all the difference sometimes and I wonder how much of their attitude toward you or your car comes from SOA and how much of it is just the dealership being a PITA.

Good luck, thanks for posting, stay safe and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Demend a zone rep comes and looks at this - the dealer cannot deny coverage on this issue. Are you in the US? You have arbitration first. If not, call the ADA in your state.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts