Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
09 forester
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my lady has been buggn me about hiding this gps cord. does anybody know how to remove the top dash with the stock clock? if i could do this i have more options of hiding this gps cord. get back at me.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
That does not have to be in the middle of the dash. You could just route it to the side of the dash.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
OR mount it on the underside of the dash in the same place. Which is about the location for most factory GPS receivers. Most receivers will still get a nice strong signal.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
603 Posts
my lady has been buggn me about hiding this gps cord. does anybody know how to remove the top dash with the stock clock? if i could do this i have more options of hiding this gps cord. get back at me.

WHO DID THAT!:chair:

Your going to have to pull the stereo out again and mount the antenna & backing plate somewhere under the dash. Hopefully the backing is still sticky, if not...super glue. I also use just a drop on a corner of the antenna to keep it on the plate.
Also read the instructions.:icon_wink:

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,614 Posts
Is that a stock head unit? Did it come that way from the dealer? Looks like a Kenwood HU, I don't know what the 09/10's come with?

Anywho, if an audio shop did that....drive back there and throw them a beating (this is said with tongue in cheek and I am speaking figuratively [note added for the lawyers...]). If that is the way the OEM-Nav unit comes from Subaru, drive to Subaru's US HQ's in Cherry Hill, NJ and throw them a beating. (please refer to the above aforementioned disclaimer)

:mob: :mob: :mob: :mob: (these guys will help..)

·
Registered
2010 Forester M
97 Posts
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/axxmans-2010-premium-70062/
link above you can see some of my install photos. I initially had it above the dash in the corner on the passengers side. the end cap of the dash comes off(hint, open the door) once open you will see there is plenty of room to put the antenna there. I have both the gps and sirius antenna located under the dash. both work fine. pull that trim bezel off, you dont need to take out the head unit necessarily, route the cable down. open the glove box door, take it off if you can. instructions are in the owners manual for changing the air filter. you will see there is an opening on the left side route the nav antenna through there, then you can go along the back of the glovebox opening or above it. I went above it.

once you have that end cap open you will see there is a metal rail, you can just let the magnetic antenna stay there or mount that little pad to the rail.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/after-market-cd-player-install-09-a-55782/ some good photos
good luck.

you could probably get away with just taking off the trim bezel and letting the antenna stick to the top of the head unit.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
ok here's what you need to do, take the bezel off, take the radio out. Next reach up at the top and feel where the clock is, next you feel the empty spot right above the clock where you GPS antennae will just happen to fit perfectly. All I did was take the antennae and slide it above the clock, don't slide it too far forward (towards back of car) because you will start to see the trim piece and radio move apart. I stuck mine up in there and just left it and haven't had a problem since, as soon as it gets warm out I'm putting my XM antennae there too

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
I just did an install of my GPS into the FOZ (SH) and wanted to make it look like it was meant to be. Because of that I need to take the entire center console apart to get to the Front Power Outlet (really poor design on the SH, you won't believe what you have to do if you ever need to change the Power outlet). I have a PDF of the dis-assembly which I will try to post up with my install. This will probably help you out to do what you are looking to do. Give me a couple of hours or a day to post up.

·
Registered
09 forester
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i fixed the uglyness!
[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
i was the one who installed this aftermarket kenwood 5140. i know it looked ugly (temporarly). i used sticky back velcrow to mount it down to the dash cap, then fished it behind the dash and popped out by the pedals and fished it back over behind the HU. now itz clean cut. the reason y i put it on the dash was bcuz the directions said so. i didn't know you could shove it underneath the dash also. i just figured it wouldn't have a strong signal. it was sort of frustrating fishing it behind the dash but i didn't have to take anypart of the dash apart!!!!!
appreciate all the help!
stinky crossover

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
Good job. Look much better now. Now you have graduated the school of DIY stereo install :biggrin::woohoo:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts