1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did front and rear differential oil change this afternoon

See the picture

New (Mobil 1 75w 90 LS) and Old (unknown brand)

old oil is less than 10000 miles...it is sooooo dirty

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
I want to get mine changed out this spring when it warms up around here.. Notice any changes? Does it roll any better?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,112 Posts
I really don't see any problem here.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
932 Posts
I will be doing mine soon. How hard was to get the bolts moveing? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,112 Posts
I will be doing mine soon. How hard was to get the bolts moveing? Thanks.
You need good leverage...like put the rear up on ramps. 18" breaker bar and pull like hell...on the top one first. They are friggin tight.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
You need good leverage...like put the rear up on ramps. 18" breaker bar and pull like hell...on the top one first. They are friggin tight.
Yeah, the first time doing it yourself is a bit difficult. The fluid in the OP's image really isn't bad at all. With more mileage it will be pretty terrible, especially if you offroad or drive hard at all. You'll usually even find some water mixed in since the breather is right on the diff (most offroad cars have a tube going up to about the level of the air intake to keep it above any water).

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Automatic transmission or manual? If manual, Mobil 1 isn't the best choice for the gearbox as it contains limited slip friction modifiers.

·
Registered
2009 Foz
52 Posts
Getting ready to do a diff fluid change for the first time, so I'm reviving this thread with a few questions. Does anyone know the torque specs for the rear diff fill and drain plugs on a 2009 X auto? What gear oil should I be putting back in? I was planning on doing just the rear, but should I be changing the front as well? I've got 16,500 miles on the clock.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,112 Posts
The Torque is 36.2 ft. lbs. I didn't go near that High. I went 30 ft. lbs. You don't need to put anything on the plugs. I went with Mobil 1 75W-90. Buy 2 containers and then you can squeeze the the one as much as possible and fill it back up using the other bottel. It takes just under a quart and then you will have enough for the front.

Really not necessary to do the front yet.

·
Registered
2009 Foz
52 Posts
I got around to changing out the diff fluid and wanted to share my experience. First, at 17,000, I was way overdue; the fluid was in pretty bad shape both front and rear. Second, if you want the front diff to read full on the dipstick, then 2 quarts is not quite enough to do both the front and the rear. Capacities in the owner's manual are 0.8 and 1.3 quarts for the rear and front, respectively, and I was a little under full after emptying the second quart. Otherwise, this was a pretty easy maintenance item.

·
Registered
09 forester A/T
136 Posts
I'm planning to do my diff front,rear this weekend problem is can't find mobil 1 75/90 here in edmonton, I prefer mobile1 coz a lot of ppl say good about it here but if I can't find any can somone suggest a different kind aside from amsoil that's already mentioned here?

also for the 09 auto trans n/a it has to be the gl5 kind specifically ist it?

·
Registered
09 forester A/T
136 Posts
syntec / syntrax limited slip what is the difference

Thanks adc! so i gave up my search on mobil 1 75w90, and narrowed down on castrol gear oil since they have it at local napa. I went to castrol's web page and i dont see the castrol syntec gear oil instead it says castrol syntrax with limited slip. what is the difference between the two? can the regular syntec gear oil work? or do i have to get the one with limited slip? coz both of them seems to be gl5

1st link is the syntec, 2nd is the syntrax limited slip

Castrol Edge SYNTEC75-90 - Full Synthetic Gear Oil | O'Reilly Auto Parts

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=82915494&contentId=7036193

any clarification is very much appreciated!!
thanks !

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
That castrol edge stuff will work just fine ,,

·
Registered
09 forester A/T
136 Posts
Thanks !!!

hey guys, i just finished my diff oil change was a success thanks again for all the advice!!! :woohoo:

next to do: auto tranny fluid and break fluid flush. probably see you guys again in one of another those threads :)

:banana:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts