Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had both pistons lock up simultaneously on the front driver's side caliper at 83,600 miles. Inspection of the caliper showed no tears in the boots and no signs of rust (I live in the SO CAL desert).

The lockup was instantaneous, occuring as I pulled out of the driveway. The outer brake pad was ground down to nothing after about 75 yards of travel. All other brake pads (replaced at 60,000 miles) showed normal and even wear.

As a precaution, I replaced both calipers, rotors and of course new brake pads.

·
Registered
2014 Forester xt prem Cvt
161 Posts
if its only 1 pad severly wearing after short dis, its probably not the the brake mast cyl or abs. good choice is caliper swap. make sure your rotor is installed correctly.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
There's no way it ground down the remainder of a 20k mile old pad in 75 yards. I suspect your issue was going on longer than you realized and it finally became a noticeable failure.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Make sure you replace all of the slider pins on the caliper assembly.
A failed slider pin is what caused the premature pad wear on my wife's Outback. Replaced the pads and installed a new pin, problem was solved!

·
Registered
2009 Forester
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no way it ground down the remainder of a 20k mile old pad in 75 yards. I suspect your issue was going on longer than you realized and it finally became a noticeable failure.
I don't want to be contentious, but I have seen this before. The sound of the grinding as i pulled out of the driveway was horrendous. Both pistons locked up solid.

I had this happen to me many years ago (on a Mazda) when a gas station misplaced one of the caliper bolts during a routine pad replacement and used a VW lug nut to hold the caliper in place. 50 yards down the road the nut contacted the rotor and froze everything solid.

There was a good 50 thou groove in the rotor this time.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure you replace all of the slider pins on the caliper assembly.
A failed slider pin is what caused the premature pad wear on my wife's Outback. Replaced the pads and installed a new pin, problem was solved!
The rebuilt calipers I installed came with new pins.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
Is there a point to this thread? are you suggesting there's a manufacturing defect? Did you find out what caused the pistons to seize? Deferred maintenance of brake fluid changes? It really is inconsistent to completely burn through pads in 75 yards.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a point to this thread? are you suggesting there's a manufacturing defect? Did you find out what caused the pistons to seize? Deferred maintenance of brake fluid changes? It really is inconsistent to completely burn through pads in 75 yards.
How about calming down a bit? The point is to begin to aggregate incidents to see if some sort of trend exists. Brake fluid was replaced every 30,000 miles as per manufacturer's recommendations.

Since the pins were in good shape, the boots not cracked, it is unusual to see this type of failure without any outward signs of stress, dirt, or rust.

No, I did not disassemble the caliper to investigate further, I do not have the luxury of time right now.

·
Registered
2009 Foz XT Limited Auto
369 Posts
The pad couldve been improperly installed originally. I dont know how the pads works on Foresters, but I had that happen on a scooter a while back, the pads are held by spring clips and one side got out while putting the caliper back on the wheel. The pins were also not greased for a while before that, and the piston seals were most likely shot as well.

It used unevenly until the backplate of the pad eventually ended up touching the disk, where it locked HARD.

I also dont think the pads worn completely out within a few yards; the car would have been very hard to drive, would pull to one side, and the wheel would screech. It was most likely a malfunction that lasted for a while, that was not very noticeable, but locked hard once it hit the metal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts