Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of adding a power drivers seat to their forester which has a manual seat? This thing is killing me, bad...

Is the wiring already there? Would it be a plug-in and bolt job? Any idea on the cost? The number I have in my head is around $500 but im probably way off.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,719 Posts
I considered that for my '03, until I checked on the prices! :icon_eek: If you're thinking about new factory/OEM, you're in for a shock! My dealership advised on an aftermarket add-on. I choose to go with STi seats, which made a world of difference! :cool:

Strangley enough, the seats on my new to me '07 FSXT are not too bad. :confused: I do miss the STi seats, but these will be fine until I decided I need something better. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester
114 Posts
I have a power seat in a 2010 Foz and I am not happy with it. I've thought of swaping out for a regular seat, which may allow more leg room. I've driven about 3,500 miles in the last month with it.

I have read great things about the STI seats on this message board. Do a search for them and you can learn a lot. The STI seats are fairly common and I think I read they bolt right into the Foz.

Too bad about your manual seat. Go to a dealer and spend an hour or so fiddling with a power seat. I thought I would love it, but one big problem is that when I raise the seat it moves the entire seat closer. I just want the seat a few inches higher, not closer. I could go, but you could read my previous posts about the comfort of the seats.

I've raised my power seat up about 3 inches using cushions and also added an arm rest (why don't most cross overs have arm rests>?>#) But, I lowered the power seat to it's lowest setting. That gives the most leg room. First, lower the power seat and then add cushions to raise it up.

Check out the manual STI seats. I may try one of those too.

PS: Real arm rests and a telescoping steering wheel would help the seat problem a lot!

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,785 Posts
Completely concur with your PS; so how did you add an armrest, and did you do both sides? Photos?

I have a power seat in a 2010 Foz and I am not happy with it.

I have read great things about the STI seats on this message board. Do a search for them and you can learn a lot. The STI seats are fairly common and I think I read they bolt right into the Foz.

I've raised my power seat up about 3 inches using cushions and also added an arm rest (why don't most cross overs have arm rests>?>#) But, I lowered the power seat to it's lowest setting. That gives the most leg room. First, lower the power seat and then add cushions to raise it up.

PS: Real arm rests and a telescoping steering wheel would help the seat problem a lot!

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester
114 Posts
Dawg,

I will take several pictures and post them. I started with an old stadiium cushion and put some extra pads in a part of the cushion. It wedges into the right arm rest slot very well.

For the left arm rest I used a several pieces of a boat cushion (firm) and covered them in a black sock and then used velcro to attach it to the regular left arm rest. My wife does not need the extra arm rest and can take it out.

I will post the photos later in their own thread.

Steve

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I thought I would love it, but one big problem is that when I raise the seat it moves the entire seat closer. I just want the seat a few inches higher, not closer. I could go, but you could read my previous posts about the comfort of the seats.

Check out the manual STI seats. I may try one of those too.

I have a telescoping wheel (I would die without it!)

the problem is that on the manual seat, the butt and thigh part tilts forward to far, and raising the seat up with the pump makes it tilt even more, so essentially my glutes are the only thing touching the seat and my thighs are completely off the seat.... On my old car which had an electric seat, I was able to tilt the butt part back into a more reclined position so that my thighs were getting a lot more rest..

I'm getting bad inflammation in my right hip from long driving trips, I figured out it was the car when it went away in my rental, and returned when i got the FOZ back.

Anyone have a link to the STI seats or know if they fit in 09+? I'm very interested in that. Will i lose seat mounted airbag capabilities? AFAIK the forester is kind of just a lifted version of the imprezza so most should be plug and play eh?

I also have the dealer putting a price quote for me together on a factory power seat... I'll have to go sit in one at the dealer and see... In my old saab 9000 the seat was so adjustable i could get it exactly where i wanted, because it could go further in any direction than what would be physically capable to drive with... This manual seat is so limited that I cant even get it into where I feel comfortable :icon_frown: I like to sit up high too and it just makes my thigh worse. :icon_rolleyes:

Maybe there's a spacer or something I can put under only the front bolts of the seat to make it always be a little more reclined?... But the bottom still isnt really long enough to have great support

these are the seats? honestly the bottom just looks like a leather version of the forester seat

·
Registered
2010 Forester X 2.5 Auto
95 Posts
How did you get on with this? I'm 6'5" and the seat support is not good. I'm considering Recaro seats with side airbags but I'm just worried about matching upholstery.

Cost in Australia is $4,000 a pair!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts