Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i absolutely hate the chrome door handles on my 2010 xt, i found the base model black handles on line for super cheap but i have no idea how to remove them once the inner door card is removed.

i looked at the front and rear door set up from inside and it looks insanely cramped and intricate.

please tell me some one has done this already

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Check to see if the exterior handle is actually two pieces. I thought that the handle actually has a cover, it's not one solid piece. See if you can pop that off. I might be wrong but if that's the case then you could just paint that black instead of buying all new handles. Otherwise you have a fun project ahead of you. You would have to remove the door cards (easy), the plastic wrap and if you are lucky if you roll the window up you might be able to stick your hands up there to access the handle bolts. Also, the front doors have that honey comb white plastic piece, remove it and you should gain more access. If you can't get to the bolts then I'm sorry to say you will have to remove glass.

·
Registered
03 FoFo X
22 Posts
Sounds like a tough job, but I was looking at one in traffic yesterday thinking how it looked great, except for those #$%@ chrome handles. Hope it works out smoothly for you as it will be a great aesthetic improvement!!

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check to see if the exterior handle is actually two pieces. I thought that the handle actually has a cover, it's not one solid piece. See if you can pop that off. I might be wrong but if that's the case then you could just paint that black instead of buying all new handles. Otherwise you have a fun project ahead of you. You would have to remove the door cards (easy), the plastic wrap and if you are lucky if you roll the window up you might be able to stick your hands up there to access the handle bolts. Also, the front doors have that honey comb white plastic piece, remove it and you should gain more access. If you can't get to the bolts then I'm sorry to say you will have to remove glass.

i have taken off the door cards and looked at the handles from inside the door. they are accessible but very cramped. the handles aren't cover as the chrome is on the backside too. so i would have to replace them. the parts are cheap it more about getting them off and back on that i am worried about

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
You could always look in the service manual. It's available to download...

But if you haven't, I'll post some details from it later.

edit.

remove the black plastic plug from the door edge, undo Torx screw beneath.
Slide handle to the rear and out, to remove.
(the manual isn't clear, but I think there's a control cable or rod to disconnect on the inside too)

to remove the inner part of the outer handle assy, undo the Torx towards the front of the unit.

NB, the manual is emphatic about being gentle when removing the handle lest the door skin be damaged...

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could always look in the service manual. It's available to download...

But if you haven't, I'll post some details from it later.

edit.

remove the black plastic plug from the door edge, undo Torx screw beneath.
Slide handle to the rear and out, to remove.
(the manual isn't clear, but I think there's a control cable or rod to disconnect on the inside too)

to remove the inner part of the outer handle assy, undo the Torx towards the front of the unit.

NB, the manual is emphatic about being gentle when removing the handle lest the door skin be damaged...
Where can I get the manual?

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
i have taken off the door cards and looked at the handles from inside the door. they are accessible but very cramped. the handles aren't cover as the chrome is on the backside too. so i would have to replace them. the parts are cheap it more about getting them off and back on that i am worried about

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the more i look at the back door the more i am thinking its not a possibility. most of the handle is hidden behind the inner door skin.

looks like chrome handles are here to stay

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester XT 4EAT
59 Posts
Wouldn't the easiest way be to tape off the door and then paint the handle? My handles are not chrome. They are silver. On a black car they stick out!!! I think I will paint mine. :) good luck! Let us know if you get those handles off...

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wouldn't the easiest way be to tape off the door and then paint the handle? My handles are not chrome. They are silver. On a black car they stick out!!! I think I will paint mine. :) good luck! Let us know if you get those handles off...
well i think you may be right, my main concern with simply painting them was about them holding up to day to day use.

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally Figured Out How To Get 09+ SH Door Handle Off! So Stoked!

i just finished the beginning of wrapping my FOZ again and finally just went for it and took off the door handle.

its actually pretty easy, though a bit annoying.

i will post a small tutorial soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts