Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I just upgraded my rear door speakers and thought I would share the process with anyone who is considering it. Its not very complicated, but I did have some things that I wished I knew before going into this.

I can't post links to other sites, so I'll be putting pics at the bottom. Hopefully they will be in the order I mention them.

First the rear door.
075.jpg

Then remove the obvious screws, handle and window switch.
076.jpg
077.jpg

Notice pry point in front of window switch. Lift up and disconnect harness.
079.jpg

That will reveal 2 more screws, on the panel itself
082.jpg

Ok next is the triangle piece on the window. I think you have to the window down to do this, so you could do it first, or reconnect the switch.
085.jpg
086.jpg

A special note on this piece pull from the door side, not the window side. I broke it off by pulling from the wrong side.

Here is the door panel off and door
083.jpg
084.jpg

Note the locations of the plastic rivet thingys.

Then its just time to remove the speaker. There is a ton of room in there. I put some infinity kappa 3-ways in there w/ room to spare. Here is a pic of the triangle piece in the speaker hole to give you some perspective of depth.
088.jpg

The speaker mounting holes are weird, so you'll need to modify, make or buy an adapter ring in order to get them to match up.

Even the metra one I bought didn't match up completely.
090.jpg

you can see the harness here. Honestly, I don't know what the leads are I just guessed, you got 50/50 chance, if any one knows let me know. I used red as positive, it sounds OK to me.
087.jpg

Hope this helps, enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update:

I was just in there, and forgot to mention some things. First, the door handle is attached by two screws on the inside of the door panel. It would be nice to have a hand during this part, I didn't, so its not unmanageable, but also why I don't have any pictures of it.

Also, the screws on the inside are different. all the others are the same.

Not a big deal, but if you were running out of daylight like I was, you might not notice.

Also, triangle piece, doesn't need window down.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Update:

I was just in there, and forgot to mention some things. First, the door handle is attached by two screws on the inside of the door panel. It would be nice to have a hand during this part, I didn't, so its not unmanageable, but also why I don't have any pictures of it.

Also, the screws on the inside are different. all the others are the same.

Not a big deal, but if you were running out of daylight like I was, you might not notice.

Also, triangle piece, doesn't need window down.
I replaced my front and rear speakers over the July 4th weekend. It's a fairly simple and worthwhile modification.

I don't recall the color code for +/- leads, but if you don't want to cut the factory ends, Crutchfield sells a factory harness connector with connectors for the speaker. I purchased my rear door speakers from Crutchfield. Crutchfield's prices are slightly higher, however, they do include free shipping, the mounting rings/spacers and the factory connectors. I also find that Crutchifield's customer service is excellent.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XPremium Auto
8 Posts
Looks fairly simple, Im getting ready to do the same, with a little Dynamat on the side...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rustoz Thanks! I didn't want to know it but I'm glad that someone knows it. No biggie, I'll just flip it at the amp.

I have dynamat too, I just didn't have enough for rear and front, so i'm saving it just for the front for now, and i'll do the rears a little later.

thanks for the info / feedback guys, I'm almost done, the MB quart for the fronts are ordered and should be here next week, once that is done, I'll post some pics of everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts