Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Forester X Autotragic
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is being written to provide some information about using STi control arms on 2009 to 2018 foresters.

modifying your vehicle is inherently dangerous and you assume the risks with this information.

The 2011+ STi aluminum arms are significant because they have a pillowball in rubber for the rear control arm bushing that is less prone to failure, in my experience, than the rear bushing that plagues every subaru in recent years. When I compared geometry of the 2011 arms and my SH steel arm are were identical, there is no gained caster or track width. Additionally, the sway bar mounting ears are the same with as the steel arms. When using the 2011-2014 STi Arm there is the issue of the STI rear bushing not being as spaced down as far as the forester. The factory steel arms spacing with the double sided stud, spacer and bushing is 80mm from the body to the the lower bracket. The 2011-2014 aluminum arm spacing is 70mm, so it is about 10mm too short for the forester. Part 20126FG001 which is the rear spacer from the non lifted subarus double sided stud and happens to be 10mm can be used to make up the difference. For reference the spacer on the forester double sided stud is 20mm.

STi Control arms:
-2008-2010 “GR”
, Aluminum and have same rear bushing as found in forester control arms, uses the forester style double sided stud in rear. These arms are not an upgrade in my opinion.

-2011-2014”GR/GV”, Aluminum and have pillowball (heim joint) encapsulated in rubber for rear bushing, spacer on top of pillowball is 10mm short of what is needed for the forester, 20126FG001 is the 10mm rear spacer from the non lifted subarus double sided stud and can be used to make up the difference to use these arms.

-2015+ “VA” , Aluminum and have pillowball (heim joint) encapsulated in rubber for rear bushing, spacer on top of pillowball is 10mm longer than the 11-14 STi arms and is correct spacing forester making it a direct fit. The 2015+ WRX share the same front control arm with the STI., It is safe to assume this fitment will carry through until the STi/WRX move to a new platform, AKA body code, at which time we would have to verify fitment.

There is NO information that I have found suggesting that there is a harder rubber variant for the 2011+ rear bushing, a "group N" bushing if you will.

Rear Bushing Bolt:

901000377, The rear long bolt to replace the double sided stud

Forester Platforms:
-SH 2009- 2013
, No know issues at this time with fitment of 2011+

-SJ 2014 - 2018, One member noted they "Needed to trim/remove 2 small metal panels as the STI LCAs are larger and will get in the way" more information or pictures are needed.

There is no difference between XT(turbo) and non-turbo front control arms for these years

NOTE
I have no idea about 2019 Foresters, but I would be glad to add the information if anyone finds out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
234 Posts
This is being written to provide some information about using STi control arms on 2009 to 2018 foresters.

*modifying your vehicle is inherently dangerous and you assume the risks with this information.*

The 2011+ STi aluminum arms are significant because they have a pillowball in rubber for the rear control arm bushing that is less prone to failure, in my experience, than the rear bushing that plagues every subaru in recent years. When I compared geometry of the 2011 arms and my SH steel arm are were identical, there is no gained caster or track width. Additionally, the sway bar mounting ears are the same with as the steel arms. When using the 2011-2014 STi Arm there is the issue of the STI rear bushing not being as spaced down as far as the forester. The factory steel arms spacing with the double sided stud, spacer and bushing is 80mm from the body to the the lower bracket. The 2011-2014 aluminum arm spacing is 70mm, so it is about 10mm too short for the forester. Part 20126FG001 which is the rear spacer from the non lifted subarus double sided stud and happens to be 10mm can be used to make up the difference. For reference the spacer on the forester double sided stud is 20mm.

STi Control arms:
-2008-2010, Aluminum and have same rear bushing as found in forester control arms, uses the forester style double sided stud in rear. These arms are not an upgrade in my opinion.

-2011-2014, Aluminum and have pillowball (heim joint) encapsulated in rubber for rear bushing, spacer on top of pillowball is 10mm short of what is needed for the forester, 20126FG001 is the 10mm rear spacer from the non lifted subarus double sided stud and can be used to make up the difference to use these arms.

-2015+ , Aluminum and have pillowball (heim joint) encapsulated in rubber for rear bushing, spacer on top of pillowball is 10mm longer than the 11-14 STi arms and is correct spacing forester making it a direct fit. *The 2015+ WRX share the same front control arm with the STI.*, **It is safe to assume this fitment will carry through until the STi/WRX move to a new platform, AKA body code, at which time we would have to verify fitment.**

*There is NO information that I have found suggesting that there is a harder rubber variant for the 2011+ rear bushing, a "group N" bushing if you will.*

Rear Bushing Bolt:

901000377, The rear long bolt to replace the double sided stud

Forester Platforms:
-SH 2009- 2013, No know issues at this time with fitment of 2011+

-SJ 2014 - 2018, One member noted they "Needed to trim/remove 2 small metal panels as the STI LCAs are larger and will get in the way" *more information or pictures are needed.*

*There is no difference between XT(turbo) and non-turbo front control arms for these years*

NOTE
I have no idea about 2019 Foresters, but I would be glad to add the information if anyone finds out.

Awesome , thank you.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XS 4-AT
86 Posts
Can you clarify for me that the 08-14 sti arms can fit an SJ forester? I currently have them on my SH but I would like to get an SJ XT. I have the first gen sti 08-10 arms and replaced them with poly bushes.

·
Registered
10 Forester X Autotragic
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, 08-10 arms will work on an SJ. They are essentially a direct replacement for 09-18 foresters.

Since the rear bushing diameter on the 08-10 is smaller that 11+, I would imagine that you will not run into the issues James06 did, but then you might just have to try it and report back.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Really...?
16 Posts
So this appears to be about the rear control arms only. Is there any information about the front control arms for the SJ using STI control arms since I would like to remove the stamped steel/pressed bushing setup currently.

·
Registered
10 Forester X Autotragic
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this appears to be about the rear control arms only. Is there any information about the front control arms for the SJ using STI control arms since I would like to remove the stamped steel/pressed bushing setup currently.
please re-read, this thread is about the front control arms only.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Really...?
16 Posts
please re-read, this thread is about the front control arms only.
Nm, the pictures helped explain. My impression was that you were talking about the rear control arms since I didn't see the pictures on the phone when I saw the thread.

·
Registered
10 Forester X Autotragic
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GD STi got aluminum lateral links(cant be used with multilink rear), but the GR+ there is nothing special about STi rear control arms, they are essentially the same as the rest of the cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts