Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Feb. '10 issue of Car and Driver, which (starting on p. 68) features a comparison of eight small SUVs. FXT came in 4th; RAV4 V6 got the #1 spot.

One of the complaints about the Forester was lack of chassis rigidity. "You can even feel quick steering corrections ripple back through the structure" (p. 74). I thought the latest generation was supposed to be pretty rigid, and a good improvement over the previous gen.

Have I missed something in my '09 XT? Or does this become an issue mainly off-road?

·
Registered
2009 Impreza OutbackSport 4EAT
387 Posts
Just got my Feb. '10 issue of Car and Driver, which (starting on p. 68) features a comparison of eight small SUVs. FXT came in 4th; RAV4 V6 got the #1 spot.

One of the complaints about the Forester was lack of chassis rigidity. "You can even feel quick steering corrections ripple back through the structure" (p. 74). I thought the latest generation was supposed to be pretty rigid, and a good improvement over the previous gen.

Have I missed something in my '09 XT? Or does this become an issue mainly off-road?
Fan through the ads in Car and Driver. They probably have a lot of Toyota ads. Of course they have to put the RAV4 at the top. To me the RAV4 is a soccer-mom vehicle, I see mostly women driving them. We test drove one but the Forester was so much nicer on the road, not to mention the interior of the RAV4 was pretty terrible, especially the dash and controls. Pretty much just a jacked up Camry to me, ugh.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,116 Posts
Ahahahha... I hate those psuedo magazines.. stupid ads is all they are.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, granted the mags are primarily ads. But to the main point: Is the latest Forester lacking in the rigidity department?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
125 Posts
The Forester's structure is decently rigid. I don't know why this is worrisome for you...? If you want a stiffer and more controlled ride, then get stiffer springs and strut tower braces. I don't understand the issue I guess.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
It's rigid enough to have a better crash safety rating than the RAV4. Not bad given it weighs 300+ fewer pounds. But maybe not rigid enough to eliminate a bunch of the squeaks and rattles many owners have reported.

ForesterDave said:
Fan through the ads in Car and Driver. They probably have a lot of Toyota ads. Of course they have to put the RAV4 at the top.
The Forester made their top pick for small SUV three years straight. I don't think that Subaru gave C&D more advertising dollars than Toyota for those three years.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
It's also rigid enough for doors to be opened while having only three wheels on the ground, as demonstrated at this ride and drive event for Subaru sales consultants. That's something the previous generation couldn't necessarily do as easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZwfRpk8XYo&feature=related

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,096 Posts
OK, granted the mags are primarily ads. But to the main point: Is the latest Forester lacking in the rigidity department?
Yes Id have to say it is... try closing the rear hatch on an uneven surface and you'll notice that it doesn't quite line up correctly. I had mine in the yard this summer on an slanted incline and noticed this. Its like the whole car kinda twists. Is it a problem to be overly concerned about, probably not but none the less it is still an issue.

I guarantee if you opend the rear gate here it wouldn't line up when closing it

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Id have to say it is... try closing the rear hatch on an uneven surface and you'll notice that it doesn't quite line up correctly. I had mine in the yard this summer on an slanted incline and noticed this. Its like the whole car kinda twists. Is it a problem to be overly concerned about, probably not but none the less it is still an issue.

I guarantee if you opend the rear gate here it wouldn't line up when closing it
Ah, now we're getting down to it! So beefier springs/shocks, and strut tower braces, wouldn't really address those issues. I also infer from this and other posts that the issues come up primarily in relatively extreme conditions off-road. Most Forester miles driven on paved roads aren't going to turn up any substantial concern on rigidity (chassis "twistability").

Nope, not worrisome--I love my '09. No rattles/squeaks. And I don't often have one wheel two feet lower than the other three wheels, doors/rear hatch open or not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have off roaded my 09 XT and really did feel it's rigid frame, mostly in the very rocky areas. One thing I did notice is that you do get a great amount of feedback through the streering wheel, once so bad it jammed my thumb pretty good - so now when I'm off roading I use a lighter grip.

The rigid nature for me is actually a good thing. This CUV is one tough little machine.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
I have off roaded my 09 XT and really did feel it's rigid frame, mostly in the very rocky areas. One thing I did notice is that you do get a great amount of feedback through the streering wheel, once so bad it jammed my thumb pretty good - so now when I'm off roading I use a lighter grip.

The rigid nature for me is actually a good thing. This CUV is one tough little machine.
LOL. Being a off-road four-wheeler since the mid 70's, I can tell you one of the cardinal rules is keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel spokes.:Banane35:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
LOL. Being a off-road four-wheeler since the mid 70's, I can tell you one of the cardinal rules is keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel spokes.:Banane35:
As a former Jeep Cherokee owner who needed to drive some pretty cool old mining and military roads to get to my favourite camping sites, I can tell you that I looked like Arthur Fonzerelli (aka "The Fonz") while driving offroad - both thumbs up... AYYYY!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts