Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know . . . Subaru's are notorious for rattles. I've addressed most of them, but this one I can't seem to take care of and it drives me absolutely INSANE because its a very loud rattle (it sounds like sheet metal is coming off!!)

I've traced the noise to the cargo cover . . . the one that spans the cargo area, pulls out and attaches and rolls back up? Yeah, that thing.

There are at least 3 points of rattle:

1) Left attachment point - fixed by wrapping cloth around bottom and sides and re-inserting into catchment point. Cloth took up the space, no more rattle.

2) Right attachment point - ditto.

3) Internal mechanisms - PROBLEM!! The entire assembly is what is rattling. It does it whether its extended or retracted (though it is much worse retracted).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
As its an 09 or 10 (not sure, you could add that to your sig to let us know) is there still warranty? Mine has never rattled and its seen some pretty rough roads so a new one may cure the issues.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
Mine has never rattled and its seen some pretty rough roads so a new one may cure the issues.
Same here, no issues noted with my '10 cover. Then again, I usually have the music cranked up pretty loud unless there's a passenger with me.

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, its a 2010 and definitely under warranty. Maybe I'll have em look at it next oil change.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5XL AT
171 Posts
Are you sure it's the cargo cover? I had a bad rattle a year ago that I thought was the cover, but it turned out to be the center seat belt wasn't properly stowed in the headliner.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
1 Posts
Rattles

I've had my 2010 Forester in to the dealer five times in six months for a rattle that seemed to be in the rear area. They did a little of this and a little of that, but it persisted. Finally they kept it for 2 weeks (gave me a loaner), replaced front door trim panels, used felt tape to insulate just about everything in the rear area and side airbag brackets. When I picked it up, the rattle was gone--but the cargo cover was lying on the back seat. When I put it back in, there was a rattle! I'll let them deal with it when I take it back for my next service, and I'm hoping they can fix it or replace the cargo cover.
Very frustrating. My old Forester had one rattle, fixed with one trip to the dealer and adjustment of rear hatch door.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
54 Posts
I bought my cover from SubaruPartsGirl in the forum and it is soundless,
I used cloth tape to install it, applied on both ends of the bar and some on the receiving square.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts