Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X 5MT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to the Subaru family and want to get some feedback. Not sure if this is usual or not for the 2.5 N/A engine.

When I downshift, most commonly from 3-2, when I come off throttle and start braking, there is typically some normal engine braking followed by what feels like the engine catching and sort of "bucking" the car. Is this normal?

I have been trying to compensate for it by not coming completely off throttle, which helps, but wondering if it is normal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
Yes, normal. Does it mostly in the lower gears like 2nd and 1st. 3rd & 4th better.
I usually just use 3rd for engine braking.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
And its not just Subaru's that do this, I have observed it in other makes. Something to do with emissions I have been told.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X 5MT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Coming out of an '08 Tacoma X-runner w/ a 6-speed. Never really experienced it on that, but it's also a 4.0L w/ much different gearing due to the 6-speed.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Did your X-Runner have 4wd? If so, you may have felt something similar while in low range. Usually worse in lower gears. Sometimes it can feel you are on the end of a rubber band!

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
DFCO. Deceleration Fuel Cut Off. It is part of the drive-by-wire electronics and is in fact an emissions related "feature." As you have discovered, it can make the engine buck a little if engine braking is done. The bucking may due to the ECU commanding idle mixture fuel back in as rpm's drop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts