Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just recently bought a 09’ forester XT and it’s getting 60 psi in cylinder 4 so I’m taking the motor out to see what the issue is. If it’s on the less expensive end of fixing I wanted to add a little extra power. I was trying to stay in the $1,000 range + repairs. It has a stock 3” catback WRX exhaust. My end goal is is about 350 hp!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
5 Posts
Welcome! Hopefully it isn't serious, keep us posted what you find out. I burned a valve on my 04 FXT - that was 0 PSI in that cylinder.

The 04 FXT had a VF39 turbo (from an STI) and a full 3" exhaust plus a road tune, it was in that HP range and a blast to drive!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s kind of what I was thinking, at first I was worried about the shortblock but I don’t think it’s that...I hope it’s the gasket or valve. It shakes at idle and that’s really it plus the hard misfire on 4.

I was also debating about a sti turbo + tune or UEL headers+ tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I hope so too. Monday is the start day to tear it down. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2009 fxt

Hi all, I’m sorry if this has been on here but I’m NEW to this forum....&
I’m a newbie to modding and fixing cars for power. I have basic knowledge of cars, I’ve done simple maintenance such as: radiators, alternators, full brake jobs(drum and disc) and things like that. I’m getting into engine work this week. I’m pulling my motor and going to start working on why cylinder 4 has a hard misfire and hold 60 psi. While I’m doing so I might as well add some stuff on. I’m looking for the most reliable mods to add for an average price. I’m trying to stay around $1,000 + repairs. I’m was looking into a STI turbo + tune or headers + tune. My car sits a little low, has a 3” cat back exhaust from a 09’ WRX, and a STI oil pump. My end goal is a reliable 325-350hp but right now I’m just looking to up the numbers a little since my motor will be out

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
226 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you get your compression and misfire issues sorted, hard to say what exactly it might be.

350hp is a pretty ambitious number for $1000, and likely past the limit of your stock injectors and an STI turbo. However, something closer to 275 is very doable. This thread is older, but a good place to start: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/how-go-faster-than-sti-cheap-8337/

These 2 threads are also extremely helpful:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=994406
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

Basically, you should be looking at a bigger turbo (VF39/48), a bigger TMIC (08+ STI), new aftermarket downpipe and tune. Cobb AP tunes are expensive, and you also need to buy the hardware to do it. Opensource tunes are usually cheaper, and only require some knowledge on your part, a laptop, and a $130 (used) tactrix cable.

Headers will net you quite a bit of torque, but not much in the way of HP.

If you do some searching around, there is a TON of info out there, it really is amazing just how much information there is on the web about making subarus in general and foresters in particular faster. I suggest you start watching the NASIOC classified section, lot of good used parts on there. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I don’t plan on getting there with only $1000, I have $1,000 right now to do some upgrades to it (headers or turbo + tune is what I was thinking). 350hp is my end goal, “no more upgrades” after I get there! I appreciate all that info! This is my first car I’m semi modding so I’m new to all of this. A lot of researching and learning is going to be happening. I’ll definitely check those two threads out!

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
8 Posts
Doesn’t look like you posted about the fix yet but I have a 2010 XT at 160k miles and just last year had misfires on cylinder 4 which would up being a stuck exhaust valve due to some surface damage there. I think it was pretty obvious once the shop opened it up and put their eyes on it but it was all just in the exhaust valve/rocker area and the cylinder was otherwise still in good shape. Took the car out of service for a couple weeks but really not too bad of a job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after about a week of working on this thing I got this far + headers off. Working a full time job on top of this, it’s been a headache to say the least. I have no idea what I’m doing I’ve just been watching a really good video on YouTube to guide me lol. I found oil in my spark plugs and a little in the intake area. Again this is foreign to me I don’t even know the name of the stuff i know taking off.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts