Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Foz XT
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've had a ton of fun with my FXT with vf48 and supporting modes like Inj Dynamics 1000cc, STI IC, Cobb DP, GS pulley, GS heat shiled, GS radiator hoses, GS Inlet, STI axel back, Kartboy endlinks, sti FSB till it hit the misfire in cyl 4.
All mods were installed by Growler(Cobb Plano TX) and tuned by them too back a few years ago.

Subaru dealer suspects ringland, but there is no way to know for sure w/o opening it up right ?

So help me with my choices here, they need to be budget friendly and I wont be doing any work so cost is a big one. I wont mind doing work myself if i can help someone in local area to help and guide me. I dont have anyone in my network who can help, so safe assumption is the work gets done at a shop at their rates (which are steep).

I calculate 8K which is steep and id rather put that down on a new car with newer features, what value can i expect from selling this car. It runs but has vibrations due to misfire and likely needs new clutch soon.

·
Registered
2008 Foz XT
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you been running premium in it?
Yes always and avoided known stations with bad quality of gasoline. The only issue i ever had was intermittent "Minor EVAP leak" code that I would reset and it mostly happened when sudden change in outside temps. In July it threw the misfire code at 142K on odo. Local subaru dealer said it's likely ringland.
Its at 295/320 with the current tune and mods which were all done at 100K. I had the leak down compression done at 100K when the mods were put in and it had passed with good compression all around.I suppose 40K miles is reliable for the EJ25 engine :(

·
Registered
05 FXT's 05 IPT 4eat/ 05 w/ 08 sport conversion JDM STI Forester swapped
384 Posts
It seems to me, it was reliable for 142k miles.. not just 40k...
Not to mention, you don't know the history of the motor, for the first 65k..
So you can't really say.. "I suppose 40k is reliable for a EJ25"...

I sure wish you were closer, I'd swap the motor, mostly for fun.. it's pretty simple..(long block swap)
I'm not a mechanic(I'm a heavy equipment operator) and have only been into turbo Subaru's for 3 years and doing my own work for 2yrs..
I have a 05 auto FXT (400whp) unbuilding it, for winter use), 08 sport, full STI swapped (420whp and going rotated (600whp)) and just picked up a 99 RS coupe that's a full WRX swap with a VF(300whp). Going to STI swap it and go 400-ish)

Too bad it wouldn't make the drive to PA..
Layoff season is coming and need something to do..(That doesn't cost me a bunch of money on my own cars) lol..

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Foz XT
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sure wish you were closer, I'd swap the motor, mostly for fun.. it's pretty simple..(long block swap)
I'm not a mechanic(I'm a heavy equipment operator) and have only been into turbo Subaru's for 3 years and doing my own work for 2yrs..
I have a 05 auto FXT (400whp) unbuilding it, for winter use), 08 sport, full STI swapped (420whp and going rotated (600whp)) and just picked up a 99 RS coupe that's a full WRX swap with a VF(300whp). Going to STI swap it and go 400-ish)

Too bad it wouldn't make the drive to PA..
Layoff season is coming and need something to do..(That doesn't cost me a bunch of money on my own cars) lol..

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Please help locate reliable source for re-manufactured long block, assuming the weak internals are addressed in the LB.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
407 Posts
I'd get the leakdown test and compression test done before writing off the engine.

Reason I asked if you had been running premium: I bought a 2009 XT that had engine issues. Turned out the exhaust values in Cyl 3 and 4 were "melted". Considering the overall state of the vehicle, I suspect it had been burning regular unleaded... (it was basically running on 2 cylinders, so I didn't bother looking at the Engine error codes before starting to tear it apart, so I don't know if "misfire" was one of them... LOL )
After all the work, it runs and performs great!
(there were several people here that said "ringland")

There's a big difference between "suspecting" and "knowing"

·
Registered
2008 Foz XT
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd get the leakdown test and compression test done before writing off the engine.

Reason I asked if you had been running premium: I bought a 2009 XT that had engine issues. Turned out the exhaust values in Cyl 3 and 4 were "melted". Considering the overall state of the vehicle, I suspect it had been burning regular unleaded... (it was basically running on 2 cylinders, so I didn't bother looking at the Engine error codes before starting to tear it apart, so I don't know if "misfire" was one of them... LOL )
After all the work, it runs and performs great!
(there were several people here that said "ringland")

There's a big difference between "suspecting" and "knowing"
Low compression in cyl 4, leakdown was donw by Ewing Subaru

·
Registered
2008 Foz XT
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could compression loss be due to valve seat? Any quick way to distinguish and tell?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X 5MT
281 Posts
If you pull the plug and rotate the motor so the cylinder in question is at TDC compression - screw in the adapter for a compression tester, then connect regulated air pressure @ about 5psi, you can listen for where the air is going. If you hear the air in the intake tract - Intake valves are leaking. If you hear air at the tail pipe - Exhaust valves. If you hear air in the oil fill or dip stick tube - Rings.

I know you posted this awhile ago, and that you've sence listed the car FS, but it might be worth your time to investigate, and this old (and rather simple) test has worked for me quite well many times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts