Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
05 Forester XT Mt
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I installed the my 08-09 TMIC which is way bigger once you get it installed in the car. Well i knew I needed a splitter so I made a trip to Lowe's to fab a quick splitter until I can make the real one. So yes it does not look like a true work of art but in this case it was function over form. I used a light weight steel 22 gauge and made all the cuts with an angle grinder and used a rivet gun to hold it in place. The rubber seal is just a garage door sealer. All in all about $45 for the material and about 3.5 hours worth of work.

I went a different method and mounted the splitter to the TMIC its bolted down as this is how the final product will be installed. The seal is spot on the rubber seal meets up against the scoop with a little bit of pressure to account for engine movement. The seal was important to me as I am just going to run the stock scoop. Its' not painted as this is not the final product this is just a mock up for the final production piece. Another reason for the splitter to be bolted down to the TMIC is to minimize the the movement and act as a storage bin to hold ice between runs to help fight heat soaking when I am running it hard. Volume wise the splitter will hold a 9 lbs bag of ice. This is a quick fix until I make an IC sprayer.

Well here are a few shots of my work.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
How do you protect the fins if you going to dump ice on it?
Do you have to use rubber seal on the bottom too? Would vibration cause it to cut to the TMIC?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
the larger hood scoop will do a lot more for you setup than you realize. more airflow to the larger core will only increase it's cooling capabilities no matter how good the ducting is. i guarantee that if the XT came with a larger wrx/sti sized intercooler from the factory it would also have a taller hood scoop.

but if you plan on staying with the stock scoop have you thought of reusing your oem splitter? keep the foot print and enlarge the opening for the larger intercooler. you pretty much have the chute pattern there already, you just need to make it bigger for the larger core size, and make the curved portion that fits in the scoop longer.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT Mt
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point I'll find some kind of seal for the bottom to prevent vibration damage.

The 08-09 TMIC is just as wide as the scoop I tired to make something form the stock splitter and it was more of a pain then anything.

If i can find a 02-03 STI scoop in CGM i would buy it however, i have not found one for sale and J spec tuning does not have CGM in stock.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Good point I'll find some kind of seal for the bottom to prevent vibration damage.

The 08-09 TMIC is just as wide as the scoop I tired to make something form the stock splitter and it was more of a pain then anything.

If i can find a 02-03 STI scoop in CGM i would buy it however, i have not found one for sale and J spec tuning does not have CGM in stock.
No excuses now, CGM scoop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts