Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find anything on here or Scoobymods (only Tribeca thread)... I have a broken foglight, and have the replacement assembly in hand.

Shop manual says to remove front bumper cover, which would be annoying because I have a nudge bar.

So, is it possible to replace the foglight assy from the fender side without removing the bumper cover? If so, pcs? Instructions?

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not yet. The service advisor at the dealer was saying "just pull the fender liner out" but my recollection is there are bolts from the front that hold it in. I meant to ask their tech who would know if there was a short cut.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
841 Posts
Removing the bumper is easy, of cause the first time scary me and i did it in 10 min very slow. But is easier then you think.

Good luck, hope you find a better way!

·
Registered
2006 Forester
662 Posts
Underneath the bumper in front of each front wheel is a black plastic splash cover that needs a few clips removed and then you can fold back the cover without removing it to get to the foglamps. The area is easy to get to without removing the bumper, but you need to lay on your back, have good lighting, and put up with a tight workspace.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5spd
47 Posts
I just did this today. Yes it can be done. There is one bolt that you can see, and one of those plastic stay/screw/popper/whateveryoucallit on the top that you can't see, but if you are patient you can deal with by touch easily. Took me less than an hour to take out the old assembly and put in a replacement one.

It is a tight fit, and it is dark up there. Wear glasses to keep the crap out of your eyes! And just take your time. You will have to pull a few plastic pieces to the side and such, but it's totally doable.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, I finally did this.

If you can get to the clip after removing the fender liner, it is possible. I wound up removing the bumper (because I'd already had to remove my nudge bar -- my original issue -- because I'd bent a control arm, so wasn't much extra work at that point) --- and definitely removing the bumper is a piece of cake, just make sure you have a blanket or moving pad to sit it on.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
1 Posts
I just did the drivers side and found I could get away with pulling the lower fender out, not removing it, after removing those plastic stay/screw/popper/whateveryoucallits along the fender liner and on top under the hood. It was just enough space, but if you have big hands it's tight. Good light is key and I think I got it all done in about an hour. Oh yeah, I jacked up the front wheel and took it off to give me more space to work.
DK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts