Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FORESTER X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Forester X w/ around 50K on it. I bought it new, but has been nothing but trouble.

Now the latest is the front driver side strut is leaking. I guess it needs to be replaced, but when I called 2 autoparts stores around here, neither one had the struts and both send me to the dealer.

I went to a shop to get an estimate and I was very surprised when they quoted me $746 to change the front struts and do the alignment. They claim the struts are special and thus cost a lot.

I have mechanical experience and would be willing to do it myself if I can find the right struts. I don't need anything special, just replacing the ones that are gone.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
get the kybs, replace all 4 and be done w/ it! there has to be a local shop besides the dealer or even yourself who can throw those in for you for WAYYYYY less than 750!

i mean for only 2 struts and an alignment those guys are trying to rob you blind!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,095 Posts
Where are you in NH?

Yes, one of the drawbacks about Subaru is that the aftermarket manufacturers often consider us to be too much of a niche market to bother with.

·
Registered
2008 FORESTER X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Nashua. I called Autozone and PepBoys and neither had them. The quote is from Sullivan tires.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,095 Posts
Kind of far away. Not my territory. But the more I think about it, you're not looking for a shop except for the alignment, and there are probably a lot of them available to you. Here is an online source that I've dealt with. They list KYB GR-2 front struts for 2008 Forester as 334468 (Left) and 334469 (Right), at $75.57 each. www.car-stuff.com

For some reason they don't list GR-2s for rear. Rears are from KYB's Excel-G series, W0133-1891605 (Left) and W0133-1891604 (Right), $82.95 each.

I don't know whether there would be ride or safety issues by mixing GR-2 with stock or GR-2 with Excel-G.

As for stock struts, we recommend three of our supporting vendors: Annapolis Subaru, Grayson Subaru, and SubaruOnlineParts.com (the Web name of a dealer in New York).

Annapolis Subaru gives a nice price break to members of this forum. I don't know what the policy of the two others might be. You can reach any of them through the forum's Private Message facility.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,095 Posts
^^^ On sale today. Good deal. Regular price is comparable to a few other places, but free shipping could easily tilt it this way.

Rock Auto was another source in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
2008 FORESTER X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all, I ordered them and would do it as soon as I get them.

·
Registered
2008 FORESTER X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success!

It took me some 3-4 hours on Saturday, but I replaced both front struts, rotors and put in ceramic pads. The car feels great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts