Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 forester
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After checking DIY's help on how to change the coolant on my '08 i decided to give it a try. Since there is a valve and drain on the radiator i bought a hose to connect to it to minimize the spillage. Now here is my issue and question: As I was turning the valve to start draining the radiator it seamed the there was no fluid coming out of the drain even though i turned the valve at least 3 complete turns. I was a little reluctant to keep on turning and end up with the valve on my hand as fluid keeps pouring out. Am i supposed to keep turning the valve until it comes out of the drain? or am i missing something. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2006 wrx
49 Posts
the radiator cap off when you are doing this? It'll come out really slow without the cap off. You can take the petcock out all the way if you want. Don't lose any rubber o rings or gaskets that are on the petcock.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,235 Posts
Forget the hose. Very little will come out. You can open the thing a lot more than 3 turns. Just forget the hose. Put a garbage can lid down and then a catch pan on top of that to catch all of the stuff. I just don't know if the top of the valve will thread out. I had that happen on another brand and its no big deal to screw it back in. Also when you tighten it back up...do not over tighten it. Just snug finger tight.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
Yes, please look for the O ring when removing the petcock. I made the mistake of doing a coolant change not knowing I lost the O ring and upon assembly I had a leak. I had to run to the dealer and redo the pet **** and lost a bunch of coolant.

There is a write up on this forum of the diameter of the O ring so it is findable at your local hardware store. I don't think there would be anything special that would require replacing the ring with an OEM type.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts