Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forester of the Year 2014
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, first post here and I've been lurking before creating an account. I am not new to Subaru's...had an 05 Impreza base sedan and 06 Outback Sport SE. Now my wife and I have a 05 Lexus Sportcross and 2012 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDi. We are now missing our Subaru's! lol We want one back in the family so I have been looking at XT's. One because we now have a baby boy and two aussies shepherds so having more space would be nice and two we are avid skier/snowboarder and our current rides are just not cutting it anymore.

Right now I have my eyes on:

07 XT limited with 29k miles for 22k

12 XT touring 12k miles for 28k

or do I go all out and get a new 14 XT touring

Have any of you drove all three XT versions? Is it worth coughing up the extra funds for a 14 XT with more power and goodies? Money is not an issue I am just on the fence on what I should do.

I would really appreciate any input, suggestions or concerns. I am just getting anxious going back to a Subaru.....it's been 5 years without one.

Cheers!
Josh

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,699 Posts
If money is no issue go with the 14XT its a no brainer.

·
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay what if it's in our best interest to save money if we can would 07xt or the 12xt be the better purchase or without a doubt invest in the new 14xt?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
12 Posts
I was in the same situation as you a couple months ago. Looked at used foz XT but decided to go for the 14'. Nothing smells better than a new car and I liked so much the upgrades they made on the 14'. It is just my 2 cents but I do not regret at all my choice!!

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
07 is the most fun but stock they suck. It might be fast compared to most vehicle but IMHO steering, suspension and braking does not support the engine. Once modified they are awesome but it takes me a lot of time and money just to be acceptable to my standard.

12 for 28 K are way too much. I think you could get base 14XT for 27K or less.

Out of the box I think the 14 are the most well rounded.

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
The interiors on the 2012 weren't that great. The plastics scratch really easy and don't age well. Everything feels cheap on them. Appearancewise, I like the 2014s a little better than the 2007, and the 2012 is ugly. That 2007 sure has low miles and probably has been well taken care of.

Sorry SH model owners, I've never been impressed by them.

$0.02

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Even though they have the same name, the difference between an '07 and a '14 is pretty huge, so it's hard to compare them like-for-like.

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
It sounds like he has options at all of these Foresters and feels he'd be happy with any of them and wants are input. I have considered multiple vehicles before purchasing them before that were not even close to the same 'class' and quite different in specs.

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
I'd say go with the 07 but I'm a little biased. And for about 2k more in suspension and brake upgrades you can actually get it to handle and stop.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,699 Posts
The used ones are waaaay overpriced considering you don't really know what you are getting. You may need to drop $3,000 in one of them in 2 weeks. Seen this on this board before. I personally would never buy a used Subaru.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,513 Posts
I'm also biased towards the '07 XT, but that price seem a bit high to me. :icon_eek:

I purchased my '07 FSXT in '09 with a bit over 21K miles for thousands less. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
09 F150 FX4 6 sp Auto
192 Posts
you know, I'd normally say used cars are the best way to go, but for what you (OP) described, I can't help but steer you away from the 07'. I have an 06 my wife has 09, I like the 09 better for the car seats.

That said, if '14 is almost the same price, go for that. On the other hand, you pay a premium for newness and it's hard to beat $/projected mile with a used car.

I will never buy new again. But I'm just one of those odd subaru owners who takes other people's cars at 60K or 100K and drives them into the ground. Good for Subaru's image but bad for their P&L statements.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
If the '07 had a 5-speed and a price that started with a '1'...

·
Registered
2015 XT premium The one without the fun pedal
831 Posts
If the '07 had a 5-speed and a price that started with a '1'...
Rodger that, I'm still not sold on the CVT. OP I came from a TDI Jetta as well and one thing that brought me over to Subaru was the fact that they are one of the very few autos that does everything I wanted it too and is available with a manual transmission. I'm finally starting to see that the 4eat is not the worst transmission, but if the cvt has problems down the road - you're going to be hating life much as if the dsg tranny goes out in your VW.

·
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, thank you all for your comments! I really appreciate this. As someone mentioned, I will be happy with any XT model it's just making that step to commit on what year to get.

I would really like to have that brand new car but what Jhoo^ just pointed out I am also skeptical on the CVT. Being that this is the first year with the CVT makes me nervous, it always has with any new model with a new transmission. I could always wait another year but I don't have that patience.

I could go for the 07XT, see if I can negotiate price. Then with the extra funds, I could have a little fun with some modifications. I am no stranger to modifying cars to my liking....so that's always an option. BUT buying a used turbo also makes me nervous! lol

I guess it comes down to what I enjoy driving the most. I will take a look at these in person and drive them as soon as this weekend. I wanted to get a sense on what you all had to say for these XTs. Thanks again everyone.....and post away if you guys have anything else to point out! =)

Cheers.

·
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
14 XT Premium Quote

Hey everyone, I decided on the 14 XT.

I couldn't justify spending so much more on the touring so it's the XT Premium. I only want the black and there's only one that I found on the lot in the Northwest region so far.

I've been working with the internet sales person on their available XT premium. I asked for my out the door price with these options below:

Sports mesh grille
Window deflectors
tweeter kit
Fog light kit
cross bar set

On top of what I requested, these options were already included:

CARGO TRAY
LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT COVER
FLOOR MATS ALL WEATHER
SPLASH GUARD KIT
REAR BUMPER COVER
AUTO-DIM MIRROR W/COMPASS AND HOMELINKMIRROR PACKAGE #2EXTERIOR AUTO DIMMING MIRROW W/APPROACH LIGHTING A

Here's his quote. I think it sounds pretty fair with all options included. You think I could talk down another 2% below his invoice? I guess doesnt hurt to try but I'm pretty much sold on this one.

$27741 incl. 825 destination plus $2718 lisc $185 and $100 Doc fee total out the door $30744

·
Registered
14 Forester XT cvt
138 Posts
Hey everyone, I decided on the 14 XT.

I couldn't justify spending so much more on the touring so it's the XT Premium. I only want the black and there's only one that I found on the lot in the Northwest region so far.

I've been working with the internet sales person on their available XT premium. I asked for my out the door price with these options below:

Sports mesh grille
Window deflectors
tweeter kit
Fog light kit
cross bar set

On top of what I requested, these options were already included:

CARGO TRAY
LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT COVER
FLOOR MATS ALL WEATHER
SPLASH GUARD KIT
REAR BUMPER COVER
AUTO-DIM MIRROR W/COMPASS AND HOMELINKMIRROR PACKAGE #2EXTERIOR AUTO DIMMING MIRROW W/APPROACH LIGHTING A

Here's his quote. I think it sounds pretty fair with all options included. You think I could talk down another 2% below his invoice? I guess doesnt hurt to try but I'm pretty much sold on this one.
Without the options you requested I purchasd the same car 3 months ago for 26.5 plus tax and d&h

·
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good to know. ^ Thanks for sharing.

·
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am a proudly new owner of the 14 XT Premium. Took her home last night. =)

Thanks all for your comments.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts