Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
07 FXT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an FXT with barely 10,000 miles on it. Apparently driving by an old lady, and it looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

I'm wondering if I should replace the auto trans and diff fluids because of the age, even though I'm far away from hitting the necessary mileage. I've never owned a car that was only driving 2,500 miles/year!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
I would. I replaced diff oil at 10,000 miles... car only 9 months old.
Are there any maintenance records?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
It may only have 10,000 miles, but all the fluids are already 3+ years old. I'd drain at least the normal 4 quarts you get out of the tranny when you do drain it. If it appears dark or grey/brownish red then I would drain it a few more times with 50 or so miles between each drain. If it looks bright red, then I would just do the one drain.

I would:

Oil & Filter Change
Check/Replace Air Filter
Drain Tranny fluid (at least once)
Change both diff fluids
Drain/Flush Coolant
Check/Replace power steering fluid
Check/Replace brake fluid

.....oh, and make sure the headlamp fluid is topped off. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I guess it wouldn't hurt. FWIW, I had my transmission fluid/diff fluid/coolant replaced at 30K and I'm still on original brake fluid and power steering fluid at 60K.

Stan

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
My 07 have 110,000 and I just replaced the diff and man trans fluid at 80,000. I did the collant at 104,000 when I did the t-belt.

·
Registered
07 FXT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a dealer buy, so of course no maintenance records. I'm going on the assumption that they didn't do anything other than oil.

I already changed oil and filter (easy decision!) and checked air filter.

I guess it would be safest to just do the trans flush and diff changes, but it's $$ that i don't have right now unless these fluids are known to break down in 3+ years.

·
Registered
07 FXT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'll make sure the headlight fluid, muffler bearings, and turbo boost sprockets are all checked too :biggrin:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The trans fluid should be fine. I'd do a drain and fill around 15-30k. I'd definitely do front and rear diff fluid. The factory fill in the rear diff tends to look pretty terrible even after a short time. I do my diffs at least once a year. Brake fluid at least every 2 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts