Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3/7/10 EDIT: Pics of new bulbs Philips X-treme Power 55W H1 added.

I am not thrilled about the poor light provided by the stock bulbs, but I absolutely despise the ricey blueish ricer high power replacement bulbs.

Driver side low beam bulb just died so it's time to find a crisp, white, even beam light spread bulb replacement. With decent life and a 30%+ increase in light output. Any recommendations?

Philips X-treme Power seem to be pretty popular in other forums.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Any of the +30 or +50 ge, phillips, etc. GE nighthawks etc. Osram makes some very good bulbs (their silverstars and nightbreakers seem pretty decent). Just stay away from sylvania silverstars!

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
I've been using the Phillips Xtreme Power for a little while now. Though, since I lowered my car, I need to properly aim them again to get good use of them. They're way brighter than stock for sure. Have been checking the connectors and they're nowhere close to being burnt either so looks like I have no need for ceramic connectors. The Xtremes are yellowish/white. Nightbreakers are whiter I think.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far three people recommending Nightbreakers (one via PM) keep'em coming.

If Xtremes are white/yellowish me don't want. One other concern I have is damaging the harness due to overheat so want to avoid that at all costs.

I may also consult with Mr. Lighting extraordinaire Daniel Stern, although I think his advise may be bias towards what he's got in stock.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
So far three people recommending Nightbreakers (one via PM) keep'em coming.

If Xtremes are white/yellowish me don't want. One other concern I have is damaging the harness due to overheat so want to avoid that at all costs.

I may also consult with Mr. Lighting extraordinaire Daniel Stern, although I think his advise may be bias towards what he's got in stock.
Well, it's more white to the oncoming traffic but obviously not white when compared to super white HIDs when stopped behind traffic or at a wall.

Stern has recommended both Nightbreakers and Xtremes due to the fact that he seems to like HIRs now, and they have some of the HIR technology in both.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports XT
213 Posts
Get the basic headlamps from Subaru, all the other ones blow insanely fast due to the daytime driving set-up our cars have. I have had my car for about 16 months, 51k miles and I have been through 4 sets of the aftermarket cool looking headlights...
I just went back to dealer lamps last time and they have lasted longer than the other ones. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Get the basic headlamps from Subaru, all the other ones blow insanely fast due to the daytime driving set-up our cars have. I have had my car for about 16 months, 51k miles and I have been through 4 sets of the aftermarket cool looking headlights...
I just went back to dealer lamps last time and they have lasted longer than the other ones. Just my $.02.
Yeap 340 hours life span on the X-tremes it's a joke !

Plus I have the bad habit of driving during the daylight with the switch stalk ON, meaning no DRLs, so my intention is to make the point to use the X-tremes during the daylight on DRL mode to protect life span (lower wattage).

Another option is to find a lamp less bright than the X-treme but with longer life??
A year of service life is reasonable for me if they are an improvement over stock.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
hmmm my xtremes are still working since 07.. but my mileage has only been about ... 25k?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am getting the Power X-tremes at powerbulbs.com $37 w/free shipping to the USA.

Before I pull the trigger, I am confused as they list two types:

1. H1 (Low Beam)
2. HB3 9005 (Main/Hi-Beam)

I consider the low beams as the main beams, so which one do I need? My high beams work fine just need to replace the main / low beams, but that's not an option in their site???:shrug:.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
I am getting the Power X-tremes at powerbulbs.com $37 w/free shipping to the USA.

Before I pull the trigger, I am confused as they list two types:

1. H1 (Low Beam)
2. HB3 9005 (Main/Hi-Beam)

I consider the low beams as the main beams, so which one do I need? My high beams work fine just need to replace the main / low beams, but that's not an option in their site???:shrug:.
If your just want new low beams get the H1

Low beam headlamp
H1

High beam headlamp

dm

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ended going with Philips X-treme Power.

It took 10 days from order to delivery from powerbulbs.com. $37 shipped for the pair.

Passenger side is original bulb, driver's side is Power Xtreme bulb.
This is just what I wanted, a bit more light than stock and whiter light.

I was surprised by finding out the stockers are also Philips, OEM left, Xtreme right.

Stock lamp:

X-treme Power lamp:

With the shipment I got a pair of free W5W, not sure if they will work for the eyebrows, as one of the them is burned out. Do I need to remove the bumper or hreadlight to replace the eyebrow bulb??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts