Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it fit?
Same 2.5 sohc Vin engine #6 so is anything different enough (electrics,etc.) to give me any problems putting it in?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
07 has a MAF and ACVS, 01 has MAP and standard cams/heads, so unless you move over the wiring harnesses and ECU from the 07, OR use the 01 heads and intake, then YES it can work. The shortblock should be the same.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's about what I thought.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
07 has a MAF and ACVS, 01 has MAP and standard cams/heads, so unless you move over the wiring harnesses and ECU from the 07, OR use the 01 heads and intake, then YES it can work. The shortblock should be the same.
2004 and down is drop in right?

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
2000 to 2004 US Foresters should work. 2005 went back to MAF and drive by wire. From then on ACVS was added ( talking US N/A motor only here )
1998 was MAF DOHC
1999 was MAF SOHC, you could use this engine and heads, with your intake and sensors.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
2000 to 2004 US Foresters should work. 2005 went back to MAF and drive by wire. From then on ACVS was added ( talking US N/A motor only here )
1998 was MAF DOHC
1999 was MAF SOHC, you could use this engine and heads, with your intake and sensors.
I've found an 04 to replace the blown motor in my 01 and I'd like it to just drop in with little problems.
The 07 I found would be more hassle than it's worth to me.

Thanks again.
Jeff

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
I would check with singincanary on here. He had a 2000 2.5RS that I swear I remember him saying he put an '07 2.5I motor into.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
The shortblock from any EJ25(excluding a turbo, you would then have to swap out rods and pistons) will work for you. There is a good chance your heads are savable.

we saved these(see below):

'98/9 and down EJ25s had smaller bearing journals on the crank and changed the location of the thrust bearing from the rear most bearing(on later EJ25) to one of the inner ones. However it will still work just fine, you just have to know for parts ordering what you have.

Also: when it comes down to it you need to know what crank pulley you have for the timing belt and what cam pulley you have for the drivers side cam. They both trigger sensors(crank position and cam position) Subaru used a couple of different pulleys for each with varying numbers of tabs through out the years. They have tabs on them for the sensors to count which set ignition timing. The wrong pulleys will have you wondering what the heck you did wrong when you go to fire it up. Best thing to do is find out the part number for what both of yours are and then look up what the part numbers are for the model and year of the car your potential engine came out of. If they match you are good to go or you can use the old ones off your engine.

Items I would swap from your engine to the new one:

Intake assembly with engine wiring harness(CLEAN IT OUT, clean the intake runners with a rag on a piece of wire)
sensors, (cam and crank position)
possibly the oil pan(there are a couple of different shapes)
Drivers cam and Crank(timing belt) pulleys
Heads depending on condition, egr set up and whether or not the new engine uses the same set up.

Attachments

·
Registered
'98 Forester
502 Posts
Dang .. the '07 motor is the one I want ...with the "VTEC" :biggrin: ... But yea, some wirring an tuning would have to be done ... My way would use the stock '01 ecu and wire in a MSD RPM switch to swith the cams over ... then have Delta do a regrind on the high cam lobes and you would get a real fun switchover !!

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would check with singincanary on here. He had a 2000 2.5RS that I swear I remember him saying he put an '07 2.5I motor into.
I could put any 2.5 in it.
It's how much other stuff you wanna change as well. (wiring harness,ECU,exhaust,etc.)

I wanna basically do a direct replacement.

·
Premium Member
8,071 Posts
Yep saw that one and a few others on Ebay.
I found an 04 engine with 24000mi for $1400 complete minus acc (a/c ps alt) at an auto recycler.

I believe it will drop right in.

Seems like a fair price. Do you plan on dropping it i or do you plan on going through it first? One more thing what is the reason it ended up at the salvage yard? If it was a front end accident check the timing cover over very carefully, even pull it off to verify the condition of the timing belt. Subaru's have had a history of throwing t-belts in some types of accidents. Use the tooth count method on the belt to verify the timing.

Tooth count:
46.8 tooth length between passenger side camshaft alignment mark and crank sprocket alignment mark. Then 43.7 tooth length from the crank sprocket to the drivers side cam mark.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
If it was a front end accident check the timing cover over very carefully, even pull it off to verify the condition of the timing belt. Subaru's have had a history of throwing t-belts in some types of accidents. Use the tooth count method on the belt to verify the timing.

Tooth count:
46.8 tooth length between passenger side camshaft alignment mark and crank sprocket alignment mark. Then 43.7 tooth length from the crank sprocket to the drivers side cam mark.
I second this advice... I just witnessed a case personally where a guy in our local i-club chapter bought a wrecked WRX and attempted to swap the engine into his RS. He couldn't figure out for the longest time why it wouldn't run after the swap. It turned out that the timing belt had jumped in the collision, which caused bent valves on two cylinders.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm gonna lightly go thru it (probably change timing belt).
Look it over REAL GOOD when I pick it up. (ain't paid for it yet)
Comes with a 6 month parts warranty that I can upgrade to 1 year parts or 1 year parts and labor.

I've been a wrench/machinst all my life so with advice from you guys I'll do alright.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems like a fair price. Do you plan on dropping it i or do you plan on going through it first? One more thing what is the reason it ended up at the salvage yard? If it was a front end accident check the timing cover over very carefully, even pull it off to verify the condition of the timing belt. Subaru's have had a history of throwing t-belts in some types of accidents. Use the tooth count method on the belt to verify the timing.

Tooth count:
If it hasn't thrown the belt it should be alright then?

·
Premium Member
8,071 Posts
It can still jump a tooth or two. Subaru's have a rather long timing belt with a couple of stretches on the belt routing having a long gap between idlers. Heck it could even be knocked partially off the pulley up on to the guide ridge of the pulley then when some one goes to turn it over it naturally wants to align its self and it could land any where on the pulley.

As I said pull the timing cover, and use the tooth count to verify the cam timing. You will have to remove the crank pulley to do so. If the salvage yard wont let/help with this inspection I personally would have a hard time shelling out the cash.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
I put an '05 Saabaru 2.5i n/a engine into my '01 RS. Swapped over the intake mani with throttle body and wiring harness. Engine had AVCS that wasn't hooked up. Had to swap over a couple of spindles/small gears from the old engine, but it was a relatively straight forward swap. Ran great afterwards.

Planning on doing the same thing with our '02 Forester and an '05 Impreza 2.5i.

·
Registered
99 Forester
8 Posts
o.k. I'm planning on installing a 2000 Legacy 2.5 SOHC into the 99 Forester (2.5 SOHC) that I'm working on.

The first engine(from a 99 Forester) ran, had HG leak. When I pulled the heads to do the HG job all cylinders were pitted - like water/gas something has sat in there for a while. ALso a chunk the size of a large raindrop about an inch in to the cylinder. I had put 600 miles on this engine, no smoke, passed emissions, I don't understand it.

I asked for another engine.

They didn't have any more Forester engines. So I got this 2000 Legacy engine - also an 8 bolt SOHC 2.5.

I have the intake off the 2000 Legacy engine. I'll do the HG's, idlers, WP, TB, etc.

Figuring on taking the intake off the original Forester engine. Looking like I should perhaps take the cam sprockets and crank sprocket (for lack of the proper term) off the old engine as well? Also the cam and crank sensors?

This will be the second engine in this Forester in two weeks so I'd like to do it right the first time with this engine and learn for possible future use the interchangeability.

I had done some searching on here a while ago and didn't see anyone putting anything other than a 99 Forester engine into a 99 Forester.

If I missed something that might relate to what I'm doing please post a reply and/or link.

Or if anyone knows if the cam sprockets, etc are the same that I don't need to find a way to hold the original engine for that part of a dis-assembly of the original engine.

Looks like the 200 Legacy engine had some kinda round engine mounts so I took them off the bad engine before they took it back.

Thanks,

Dave

1 - 20 of 54 Posts