Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had no problems or any indications that there were problems with my Subie. We were out of town for the holidays (Tues-Sat) and had a little problem starting the car in the airport parking lot. made 2 more stops and progressively had a harder time starting the car. at the last stop we were not able to start the car - it whirrs as if it is struggling and then click, click, clicks. We got a jumpstart - but this did not help. It doesn't appear to be the battery since the radio, windows, etc work.

I have to cool my heels until the dealership opens on Monday - but it seems like either the battery, alternator or starter should not go bad in a 3 year old car!

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
My guess is: Either your battery is dead, starter is dead or the cables going from the battery to the starter is not fully connecting. To just make a click sound that indicates the starter ain't doing anything.
Ofc your alternator could be dead but then a jump start should be sufficent to start the car at first anyway.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
did you check the battery terminals? are they clean?

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
On second thought I think you have some connection issues. I think the starter don't get power. Either that or it's done for. have you tried a multimeter on the battery just to check how much volt there is on it?
If it's too low it could still run lights but not the starter.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
it whirrs as if it is struggling and then click, click, clicks.
Whenever I've seen this symptom it's always been a low battery. That can be caused by crappy connections somewhere (what the others have said), a slow drain on the battery from some other circuit, battery just plain gave up, or the charging system not working properly (bad alternator, for instance).

Once the car is running off a jump, are you having any problems? If it's alternator-related then I would expect that the car would not run for very long at all after a jump, maybe just a few minutes or less if the battery isn't getting a proper charge from the alternator.

If it's too low it could still run lights but not the starter.
I agree with that. Starting the motor requires a lot of grunt from the battery so the charge could be well below the threshold needed to start the motor but have enough power available to run the accessories for a short while.

Instead of waiting for the dealer to open Monday, you might be able to get the battery checked tomorrow at an AutoZone or somesuch.

Edit: welcome along.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses Dan, Elmy & Peaty! We never got the car started, even with the jump. It just wouldn't turn over. We checked the connections to the battery and everything looks good. I guess we need to check the connections to the alternator or starter? will try to locate those and try again this morning and get it to an Autozone. I would much rather it be a battery, than the starter or alternator!

Wouldn't a jump from another car get it enough juice to start with if it were the battery?

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
With good cables and the GND cable connected at the starter block area it should jump. Turn on headlights and see if they dim a lot during cranking; if not, the starter is not drawing current and there exist a starter or wiring connexion issue. Did you have a idiot light indication of low batt or ALT?

- Be aware that once a lead acid battery charge drops below a certain threshold - they usually cant be resurrected due to a chemical reaction that dissallows charging.

-Do you have dealer-added alarm or remote start system - these seem to always cause problems an parasitic drain/loss issues that would be exposed during the 4 day non-operating period of your vacation.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
based on what you said I say your alternator has nothing to do with your problems. I'm going for something with the connection between your battery and the starter or the starter itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts