Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what is going on with this car. It's relatively new (just over 21k miles) '06 X 2.5 Automatic, but out of warranty, and I thought transmissions issues wouldn't show for a while. So here is a list of the symptoms (that are getting somewhat worse):

1) After letting off the gas at-speed, I notice an inordinate slow-down (I feel like I'm hitting the brake) before it starts to coast. During this period, the engine sounds like it stops revving entirely, or becomes very quiet. It lasts about 1-2 seconds.

2) It quickly shifts into reverse but takes a few seconds before it shifts into drive (once I thought it already shifted, and having hit the accelerator and revved the engine, when it did shift there was a violent lurch/clunk noise [did this cause damage?]).

3) When driving, the engine will randomly vibrate very loudly (like I am hitting a bump strip), and will stop only when I let off the gas.

4) The above also happens frequently when shifting between gears.

5) Recently the the transmission will hesitate between gears, and "clunks"/lurches back into gear when it figures things out.

6) Somewhat unrelated, but I can feel a constant bumpy/up-and-down vibration, like the road is wavy or something. Is this just really tight suspension? I feel like I can feel every little pebble on the road. Is there any way to adjust this?

Does this sound like a computer or transmission problem? I've been driving with it like this for a few hundred miles, not being able to find time or resources to get it into the shop. Will continued driving cause irreversible damage or reduce the lifespan of the vehicle?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Any chance you can give us more info on where you are located and the dealer you are taking it to. Please take the time to update this in your User CP Profile.

Quite often someone or many will give there comments as to the dealer or make a suggestion of a dealer or shop that may better diagnose the problem in your locale. Just don't say anything slanderous about the dealer. We already know your dissatisfied with their response.

First I would check the fluids, Subaru recommends checking the fluid when it has warmed up to normal operating temperatures, so drive it and then check, it is the dipstick with the yellow top on the drivers side back by the firewall, it's not the easiest to reach. I would also check the front differential fluid the same way, that dipstick is on the passenger side, also featuring a yellow top. No one can be sure if the fluids have been properly maintained with the correct fluids. Should you find the fluids low I would start with a transmission and differential flush using the proper Subaru recommended lubricants. I have seen dealers do the absolute minimum when flipping a used car and then using the recommended service schedule to make some money on items they should have checked and changed before reselling, to protect their reputation. Consider that the car is four years old and even with such low mileage it may need changing. Does the AT light come on or has the Check Engine light ever come on? If so a code is stored and can even be read at your local parts store usually for free.

I agree, with what another member said in one of your previous posts, mechanics are not making money diagnosing over the phone and are unlikely to do so. I think you have a service manager/writer that is not entirely familiar with Subarus or their shop policies.. Also check that all the tires are of the same brand and have the same tread depth. Not everyone knows (owners/tire shops) that all four tires should be replaced should you have a lot of tread wear and need to replace only one tire, this can cause differential issues causing drive-ability issues.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Also ask to see the TSB, usually there is a recommended course of action to remedy the problem, I'll bet it's a complete transmission flush. The 06's also went to a fly by wire (electronic) control over a cable and I believe there were some ECU re-flash's that improved drive ability.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Thought of this as well as a last resort that you can do yourself. Disconnect your battery for 1/2 hour to an hour to rest your ECM not entirely sure if this will also cause a reset on the TCM (trans control module). During this time depress the brakes, turn on the lights, honk the horn to use up any power that's held in reserve. Reconnect the battery and start the car and drive, the ECM will now be relearning your driving habits and hopefully the TCM will be doing the same.

I searched through some of the 06 drive ability issues and they all seem to point to the drive by wire issues, there indicated a reflash of the TCM for 06 Imprezas so maybe there is one for the Foresters that might help.

There is also a possibility of some carbon build up on the MAP/MAF that can be cleaned up with some contact cleaner by yourself.

Also fuel related, how long has this been going on, quite often bad gas will show worse symptoms in cold weather. Do you fill up with the same gas all the time? If it has shown up recently there are relatively inexpensive gas additives that can take care of bad gas and clean the fuel injectors a little. Next tank try the next grade up of a brand name fuel and see how it drives.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it guys.

My apologies for the forum spamming; my first post didn't garner replies, and after the second didn't receive any for a week, I forgot about it. Thus another post.

I suppose I'll take it into the dealer when I find time. Juggling a 20 hours/week job + full time school without a car isn't particularly just an inconvenience, it's virtually impossible most of the time. On that note, how dangerous is it to drive on a sloppy transmission?

But thanks again, I'll keep you all posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts