Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog likes to think she's the navigator whenever I take her for a ride. I have the rear seats down all the time, but she strolls right up and plants her front paws on the arrest between the front seats. Consequently, the top of the armrest is full of little holes from her nails (to say nothing of being just plain dirty with pawprints). I can clean the dirt off the leather, but because of all the little holes I'm wondering if I can replace just the top sliding part of the armrest easily. In fact, it looks like the bottom of the part that slides is fine and I'd just need the cushioned top part. It's a LL Bean Edition, so it's the beige leather interior.

Does anyone know if just the top part would be available anywhere? Should I be calling dealers or junkyards? Any idea of what kind of cost I'd be looking at? Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 wrx
49 Posts
I don't believe they sell the extendable part by itself. I have an extra non-extendable armrest laying around. black though. Should work fine if you don't mind the two tone look. I'd keep an eye out on the various subaru forums or craigslist. You may find exactly what you are looking for.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the offer. I think I'll keep on the lookout for a beige extendable one, though. At least that's how I feel right now. If it gets much worse, I may contact you. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Looks like pre-06. I have that in my 05. Isn't there supposed to be a latch on there?

·
Registered
2006 Forester
657 Posts
reupholster

There's hope! My former Golden, as shown in my avatar, shredded the cover of my armrest when I first got the car. I ended up reupholstering the armrest and it wasn't hard. My armrest extends out and has a latch under the front that you squeeze to unlock it slide it forward.

From leftover RAAMmat pieces, I used 2 layers of ensolite for the padding, and the spray glue to hold them together to make one thick piece. I went to Joanne Fabrics and picked out thick black tough material and got a yard. I had to disassemble the center console to remove the armrest, and figuring out how to do it was actually the hardest part of everything. Cleaned off all pieces of the old armrest cover, sprayed the plastic top with glue and applied the padding, sprayed the padding with glue and applied the black material already cut to fit. And I had a glue gun already hot and ready to glue the material to the armrest's underside. It turned out better than the original cover, it's so padded it's even more comfortable.

My poor boy was gone soon afterward so the reupholstering has held up, but I know the new cover can take alot more abuse than the OEM film-like crap.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
We recently rescued a black lab and she rides in our back seat and loves to climb on the sliding armrest of our 08 with black leather. I noticed the small dimple marks from her nails and realized this will be an issue.

Typically now when she rides in the car I put the armrest up and he helps to block her from stepping on it. I'm interested to see what you end up doing.

Subscribed

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My temporary solution is to drive with my right arm reaching across and holding onto the headrest support on the passenger seat, effectively blocking her from coming up next to me. But that doesn't last too long because my arm gets tired (and I could use her navigation skills :icon_biggrin: )

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed Manual
48 Posts
My sliding armrest lock broke, so now it just slides back and forth freely. Any suggestions on a fix or replacement? 2008 Forester X with tan interior.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts