Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend got her 04 XT a few months ago.
While she's not a fan of the restyle on the 06's, she really likes the mirror/sidemarkers they have.
Is it just a simple swap and wire job?
Anyone done this yet?
Thanks!

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
I've looked at the 2006 connectors and they are differant than they previous models. To do it would require some splicing. I had the same thought when the 06s came out.

Ben

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
While I haven't had the opportunity to look at the connectors, it IS possible to extract the Pins from a multi-pin connector. This could make the swap a lot easier. You can either do it the ghetto way (take a paperclip, unbend it, and hammer the ends flat - wedge those flat ends onto either side of the pin to push in the retaining teeth) or buy a proper pin removal tool.

If the connectors are a different shape, but the pins are identical, you can just swap the pins into the new connector. Of course, this does assume that the wiring is 1:1 in terms of the number of wires used, etc.

·
2,225 Posts
IIRC it not a 1:1 ratio of wires. the 04-05s have somewhere in the neiborhood of 6 wires. The 06 is around 12. I don't think that there are even enough connector slots in the old style mirror for the new style pins. But I check later today if you want.

Ben

·
2,225 Posts
I don't have an 04-05 XT mirror off the car to look at but on an X which should have the same connectors but not nessasraly (sp.) the same amount of wires there are 4 wires in 3 pins. This is on a square connector. On the 06 mirror there are 8 wires on a rectangle 10 pin connector. I honestly had thoughts about hard wiring it on there but I'm not sure that I want to deal with the hastle.

Ben

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
The connectors could be different based on heated vs. unheated mirrors too and the mirrors on the pre-06 X are slightly smaller than the XS & XT's mirrors.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Perhaps one of our Parts-dept. members can pull the part numbers for the inverse of both connectors - then you can make a plug/play harness.

I know VW used to sell a wiring repair kit to the dealers - had lots of connectors/pins used across the model and year range. If you were friendly with the local parts guy, you could dive into it and get all of the bits/pieces needed to build just about any harness for this sort of conversion... perhaps Subaru does something similar.

·
2,225 Posts
blitzoid said:
Perhaps one of our Parts-dept. members can pull the part numbers for the inverse of both connectors - then you can make a plug/play harness.

I know VW used to sell a wiring repair kit to the dealers - had lots of connectors/pins used across the model and year range. If you were friendly with the local parts guy, you could dive into it and get all of the bits/pieces needed to build just about any harness for this sort of conversion... perhaps Subaru does something similar.
I am the local parts guy. :D Subaru does have a terminal kit. Maybe I can make a harness like you say. It's something to work on.

Ben

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Well.... hmm... you may be hearing from me sometime soon. I need new OE Plugs for my '98, and possibly (probably) a coil pack as well.

But i'd def. try the repair wire/build-your-own-harness route, if possible. Doubly so since you have easy access to all the bits and pieces needed to pull it off. I'd hope the folks at FHI were smart enough to avoid changing which wire does what, but you never know...

·
2,225 Posts
They probobly switch the wires. I had a hell of a time with my ECU swap because FHI decided to switch wiring locations after 1 model year. I'll look at the diagrams later though.

Ben

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
If someone wants to send me a copy of the relevent '06 mirror wiring schematics, I'll start working on a set of instructions for a wiring harness.
I have the '05 schematics to work the other end.
If Ben's got a terminal kit available this should be do-able.
The hardest part will be fishing the extra wires for the lighting circuits through the doors.

General Idea: Follow me here, this might get a little confusing in type.

Items needed (Ben: could you track down these part #s):
'06 mirror's opposite gender plug (for both R & L mirrors).
'05 mirror's same gender plugs D5 & D15 (NOTE: there are 2 different plugs for heated & unheated so get me both sets of p/ns please).

'05 mirror wiring schematic is on service manual page WI-133.

Hook up plan:
The motion (& heating) wires will pass through from the '05 harness plugs to the '06 mirrors plugs (like a turbo timer harness).
The additional lighting wires from the '06 mirrors plugs have to pass through the associated door & jamb and then tap into the lighting wires at the front of the car.
The front should be the easiest point to access the stock harness without having to cut it open mid-run (the other point is under the dash for all you contortionists out there).
Non USDM models can probably tap the lighting wires at the little side signals that we don't get.

Further info to follow once I get the '06 schematics.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Benrock05201 said:
They probobly switch the wires. I had a hell of a time with my ECU swap because FHI decided to switch wiring locations after 1 model year. I'll look at the diagrams later though.

Ben
More likely to happen with an ECU which is constantly undergoing refinement.
There are only 6-8 wires in the '05 mirror harness.
Highly unlikely that it changed.
Even if it did, it shouldn't take long to decipher.

·
2,225 Posts
I should be able to round everything up for you today. Connectors don't have p/ns as generally you can't get them seperate from the wiring harness. We'll work it out. On the up side I looked up the gussets and they are the same p/n.

Ben

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
You might wanna check out the mechanics of the trade too...not sure the 06 mirror mounting surface is compatible with the 2004 model...different shape and hardware methinks...I too wanted the 06 mirrors :cry:
-Quick

·
2,225 Posts
Quicksilver said:
You might wanna check out the mechanics of the trade too...not sure the 06 mirror mounting surface is compatible with the 2004 model...different shape and hardware methinks...I too wanted the 06 mirrors :cry:
-Quick
From above:
On the up side I looked up the gussets and they are the same p/n.

The gussets are the mounting surface. I'm in the process of finding out what the shape of the heated mirror plug. (04-05) Then we can really start moving on this.

Ben

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
benrock-
Let us know, it would be great to have the 06 mirrors on my04! They're bigger (more wind resistance), but safer (addtional turn signaling, better rear view coverage).
-Quick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts