Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Forester XT 4AET
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worried about my 4EAT in my 2006 Forester XT. :frown2: These past couple of months I can feel a vibration during acceleration in 1st gear. Once the trans shifts into 2nd gear (and 3rd & 4th), the vibration does not seem to be there, runs, shifts and drives fine at all speeds and RPMs except in 1st gear. The vibration is felt even at very light acceleration and definitely getting worse now. I've owned my Fozzy since May, 2018 and had roughly 145K miles. I almost immediately performed a drain & fill with pan screen replacement and screw on filter replacement. I'm now at roughly 154K and just performed another drain & fill, with little to no change in the vibration. Fluid was fairly dark this most recent time, so I probably should perform 2-3 more drain & fills to get things more red, upon your responses.

Did some forum searches and didn't find much. There seem to be a lot of people selling solenoids for these trannys on eBay, so maybe a bad solenoid? Hoping this might be an easy fix rather than a tranny replacement? Looking for any and all suggestions and recommendations. Thanks! Dave

·
Registered
'06 Forester XT 4AET
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone experienced anything like this on your 4EAT's? JDM 4EATs don't seem to be readily available? Only higher mileage US sellers? Your help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2005 Forester X and XT Manual and Auto
1,063 Posts
One possible cause is if you replacement one driveshaft, that is not exact match of opposing driveshaft. I have this on my 05XT. My tuner pointed it out, and sure enough i felt it on my harder pulls. In my case its only on under high power that i feel it...when i floor it and get up over say 4500rpm.

·
Registered
'06 Forester XT 4AET
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One possible cause is if you replacement one driveshaft, that is not exact match of opposing driveshaft. I have this on my 05XT. My tuner pointed it out, and sure enough i felt it on my harder pulls. In my case its only on under high power that i feel it...when i floor it and get up over say 4500rpm.
Thanks NinoS for your suggestion!! As far as I know I have my original OEM CV shafts, don't think they've ever been changed, but certainly I need to get underneath my car and get a good look and the condition of my shafts/boots, and check for radial play.

·
Registered
'06 Forester XT 4AET
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So to put closure to this posting, I was convinced that my transmission mount was shot as the vibration felt as though the trans was slapping the bottom of my car in the console area. This morning I finally got under the car to find that my forward U-joint is shot. Tranny mount is fine. I have a new U-joint on the way and plan to replace it on Saturday. Due to the location and sound of the vibration, I am pretty confident this will resolve this issue. If I don't post again, then this was a solid fix.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,837 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts