Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All -

Long time lurker. Finally building a dream car of mine. I'm not new to subarus and had built a JDM swapped bugeye that was unfortunately totaled by someone not paying attention last year.
A while ago I was looking at craigslist/nasioc for sale ads and this 06 manual xt popped up with a blown up motor. It was a really good deal and I thought i'd just toss a new longblock in and have a DD.
Next thing I new I found an 05 STi with a 4500 mile old shortblock, heads rebuilt, new clutch & flywheel, fresh rotors and pads and a new VF48.

Plan is to now do a full STi swap!

Few things i'm trying to figure out:
  1. will the sti long block plug and play minus the secondary air? Would like to keep the bling factor of the red intake manifold.
  2. Has anyone pulled trans and motor together out of a suby? I've always done them separate. With the fresh clutch i see no reason to separate them and think it'd be easier to just pull the whole unit and stick it in the foz with sti cross members.
  3. Is anyone running 05 stock suspension on their wagons? Trying to figure out if/how many/what size saggy but spacers to run.
  4. Are those that have done this running the xt or sti ecu? I've heard of both but unsure of the better way to go.
Planning on getting the DCCD plug and play kit from iwire including the trans harness just to make it easier.
Also planning on doing the cluster swap but can't locate any of the DIYs where people talk about how to fit it.
Most likely going to pick up the jumper harness that is made by aaronsubieelectronics.

Hoping to get this essentially done by mid october to beat some of the rain in the PNW! Things seem to be pretty dead around here at this point unfortunately but hopefully anyone with knowledge will chime in!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi not too long ago i did a full swap from a 04sti to a 05 manual forester xt the main thing to remember is to transfer everything from the sti to your forester. You would remove the crossmember front spacers and use the sti bracket that holds the bolts because your forester one are too long now that the spacers are gone and your eng will move up the amount the height that the spacers were and you would need to trim your top radiator hose being your eng moved upwards.As far as removing your eng and trans as one unit can be done but at lot trickier due to space. now would be the time to swap over the brake booster ,master cylinder and clutch slave from the sti also like i said the universal joint for your steering needs to be swaped due to the forester being longer.i swapped out lower control arms to aluminum.
Everything just bolted right up including r180 ,driveshaft. Going into detail i kept my stock xt ecu and it runs fine .another thing i kept my stock abs sensor harness and plugged into sti hubs and they worked fine no abs issues. getting to the parking brake cables i swapped to sti but your gonna find out when you pull your handbrake its too long so you need to transfer the short piece of cable in your handbrake from the sti to your forester which is about 3/4 to an inch shorter but it makes all the difference to engage parking brake.
for the dccd controller highly recommend i wire spider plug and play kit make life a lot easier and i also purchased a v9 jdm sti cluster from aarons subie electronics had mileage corrected and converted to mph and temp to F. and purchased plug and play harness one thing to mention is that if you purchase a ddcd controller you might want to send the connector going to your dccd cluster to aarons so he can intergrate it into your harness more plug and play.
fyi i sent my sti bulkharness and eng mailed it to them for a discount on controller also same for cluster gave my usdm for a jdm cluster cause he said the abs light will be on but not for an 05 usdm cluster so you might be ok cause my cluster was an 04.
good luck on your build.Erik

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi not too long ago i did a full swap from a 04sti to a 05 manual forester xt the main thing to remember is to transfer everything from the sti to your forester. You would remove the crossmember front spacers and use the sti bracket that holds the bolts because your forester one are too long now that the spacers are gone and your eng will move up the amount the height that the spacers were and you would need to trim your top radiator hose being your eng moved upwards.As far as removing your eng and trans as one unit can be done but at lot trickier due to space. now would be the time to swap over the brake booster ,master cylinder and clutch slave from the sti also like i said the universal joint for your steering needs to be swaped due to the forester being longer.i swapped out lower control arms to aluminum.
Everything just bolted right up including r180 ,driveshaft. Going into detail i kept my stock xt ecu and it runs fine .another thing i kept my stock abs sensor harness and plugged into sti hubs and they worked fine no abs issues. getting to the parking brake cables i swapped to sti but your gonna find out when you pull your handbrake its too long so you need to transfer the short piece of cable in your handbrake from the sti to your forester which is about 3/4 to an inch shorter but it makes all the difference to engage parking brake.
for the dccd controller highly recommend i wire spider plug and play kit make life a lot easier and i also purchased a v9 jdm sti cluster from aarons subie electronics had mileage corrected and converted to mph and temp to F. and purchased plug and play harness one thing to mention is that if you purchase a ddcd controller you might want to send the connector going to your dccd cluster to aarons so he can intergrate it into your harness more plug and play.
fyi i sent my sti bulkharness and eng mailed it to them for a discount on controller also same for cluster gave my usdm for a jdm cluster cause he said the abs light will be on but not for an 05 usdm cluster so you might be ok cause my cluster was an 04.
good luck on your build.Erik
Thanks Erik!

Good thoughts on the ebrake, cluster and DCCD stuff!
I'm still working through trying to figure out engine wiring.
Apparently the 04-05 xt are plug and play with 04-06 sti's but the 06 xt wiring is slightly different.
Wondering if i keep the xt engine accessories and am only trying to keep the red intake manifold if i could pull it off just by moving all the bits from the xt over to the sti block.
I've been reading too much conflicting info and definitely want to do the work while the motor(s) are out of the cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spent most of saturday ripping down the XT.
All thats left is:
-one hub with axle splines stuck (need a 3 jaw puller)
-Rear diff/carrier & assembly
-trans, motor & DS
-subframes/cross members

Those that have done this - did you swap the front subframe and cross members? Or just remove the spacers and swap to the sti x member?

XT motor had a full on blowout. The rod cap bolt that is missing was melted into the DS fender liner somehow

Lastly found this gem. Going to have to figure out how to repair this. Someone had a leaky battery... Unfortunately it's too soft to hold tie downs at this point. May need to weld an Al plate over the top with tie down holes in it. Or try to cut out/weld in the one from the STi...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re-use front sub frame from forester two piece and use sti crossmember. For the wire harness your not reusing your old harness on the new engine for me i purchased a new harness because alot of the plugs we brittle and cracked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what i thought - STi xmember/cradle and forester subframe/u brace/antisubmarine brace.
I heard you need some form of a spacer with this setup but i don't understand how quite yet.

For wiring since i'm putting an 05 sti motor in an 06 xt the wiring isnt plug and play.
I'll be moving the TGVs, topfeeds, and wiring harness from the XT over to the sti block and using the sti red intake manifold.
Going to add some 3mm phenolic spacers while i'm in there and inspect/replace vacuum/fuel lines.
I debated TGV deletes and decided against since i want to be mostly stock as this will be a DD with a mild tune and catless exhaust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im not sure how your car would run without tgv deletes but i live in a warm climate so no problem also i did an e tune and the tuner turned off ck eng light for tgv so i never had a problem.
connector is just tied to the side. for the sub frame spacers a lot of people remove them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts