Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the 1k service done and the car was put on the dyno, considering it was on the dyno for a few hours and so got pretty hot/only had 1k on it the figures of 340/335 are pretty good I thought.

Mog

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sirwilliam said:
340/335? What does the '06 WRX STi do on the same dyno? Love the new ride BTW.;)
The powerstation dyno is well known, depending on how you look at it, as being conservative compared to others.
I dont know about UK 06 WRX STi's, as they do alot of JDM cars and the Spec C is about the same or a tad more.

Mog

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Mog said:
The powerstation dyno is well known, depending on how you look at it, as being conservative compared to others.
I dont know about UK 06 WRX STi's, as they do alot of JDM cars and the Spec C is about the same or a tad more.

Mog
Yeah, I couldn't judge the UK dyno sheets unless there are other UK car dynos to compare to...but it sounds like a good amount of power.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sirwilliam said:
Yeah, I couldn't judge the UK dyno sheets unless there are other UK car dynos to compare to...but it sounds like a good amount of power.
How do you measure BHP in the States as I know the Australians measure at the hub with the wheels off.....

Mog

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Mog said:
How do you measure BHP in the States as I know the Australians measure at the hub with the wheels off.....

Mog
With the car strapped down on the AWD dyno chassis, we measure power at the wheels w/ the wheels on (WHP). I guess your Brake Horsepower would be similar to the corrected estimated crank horsepower. So that would be more than the stock WRX STi, correct?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sirwilliam said:
With the car strapped down on the AWD dyno chassis, we measure power at the wheels w/ the wheels on (WHP). I guess your Brake Horsepower would be similar to the corrected estimated crank horsepower. So that would be more than the stock WRX STi, correct?
Stock UK WRX STi is 276 BHP crank and with PPP 305 BHP crank, so with 340 BHP crank I'm chuffed but stand to be corrected.

Mog

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stockcar said:
what sort of spec is it?? one of Litchfields "specials"?? or std factory............
Standard Factory plus Miltek and Remap only

Mog

·
Registered
2005 forester sti 6MT
371 Posts
Nice smooth curves - though I note your biggest slug of torque comes in quite late - around 4k rpm -
Richard Bullmer did my map @ Prosport...compare...

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=1428

I have boost coming in faster and stronger but yours does hold peak torque longer - did you also fit boost gauge to know what boost you are holding?

I am having extreme problems with traction at the moment - so this level power is not 100% usable anyway - I am hoping better tyres will cure this.

btw - imprezas? - pah! - FSTi puts them to shame ;-)

Paul W

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Big Respect Guys

Ill be happy with a useable 300bhp after all the mods

But looks like you have the potential to go even more

Thats what I like to see real street sleepers

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pwebb said:
Nice smooth curves - though I note your biggest slug of torque comes in quite late - around 4k rpm -
Richard Bullmer did my map @ Prosport...compare...

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=1428

I have boost coming in faster and stronger but yours does hold peak torque longer - did you also fit boost gauge to know what boost you are holding?

I am having extreme problems with traction at the moment - so this level power is not 100% usable anyway - I am hoping better tyres will cure this.

btw - imprezas? - pah! - FSTi puts them to shame ;-)

Paul W
Paul......

Your chart is interesting, as it shows what 2 different mappers and 2 different dyno's can produce on a similar base car. I know that you are running more boost than me but my lower boost was done with the intention of keeping my warranty intact. Your figure of 390lbs is very impressive as my Type 25 produces 394lbs however I would think that in reality our cars are very similar probably due to the differences in the 2 dynos and it would be very interesting to see the 2 different remaps performing on the same dyno.

Regards
Clive

·
Registered
2005 forester sti 6MT
371 Posts
Clive - you are right that a true comparison would need to be done on the same dyno, same day etc. I am just looking at the shape of the curves and relative rpm not the figures per se.

Hopefully we (uk forester owners) can all hook up sometime (despite the thread that never managed it) and I can give you a passenger ride and vice versa -

have you thought of a use for the 'towel rails' yet btw - maybe for terrified pets to grab hold of ?

cheers,

Paul

·
..now Maidstone
MY14 Audi SQ5 8AT
2,398 Posts
Hi Mog,

First post...

What is getting me at the moment is with the Forester we are doing a remap with an exhaust change and getting real good figures. Now all we hear on scoobynet is how 'bad' this engine is with mods and wait for the new T25....so what quite is wrong with 340??!!!

Maybe I am missing something, but I will certainly be following your example when I dispose of the WRX300...

I cant see any reference on the T20 nowadays on Litchfield/Powerstation, but surely these subtle mods can be done on the FSti? Or is that why you stuck to just that for the warranty?

Mark

·
Mr. November 2008
2015 BMW 335d xDrive GT Auto
969 Posts
There were some statements about it being difficult to make 'big power' on the 2.5, which have been exaggerated a bit I think.

I guess it depends what 'big power' means :)

As it stands, the Forester STi makes a straightforward, warrantied 330 with just a remap and the Milltek exhaust. That's on a VF41 turbo. According to Iain Litchfield, going much beyond 330 will bring the warranty into question, so they tend to stop there. The pistons and ring lands are the weak point, and the head isn't optimal for more breathing. As you say though 340 bhp and similar torque is pretty satisfactory, I guess it just isn't a huge leap over a suitably fettled 2.0. Much more driveable though... the 2.0 needs more revs to get there.

I think the issue is maybe that people thought they'd get to 400 just by changing the turbo. The 2.5 seems to have a more 'fixed' limit that requires specific work to overcome it, while the 2.0 has various different limits as the power goes up.

In the Type 25 there are different pistons and rods for strength, and a different head, in fact a considerable amount of rework. But that then makes more power and torque with more safety and can probably go beyond those numbers more easily. But costs much more :(

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mark......Karma has really answered your questions for me.

Mog

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
250kW at the crank but only 142 at the wheels - that seems like a huge difference.
Yes I know different dynos read differently, but 142kW at the wheels is what Id expect for a non-Sti XT with some minor mods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mog said:

Mog
Hi Mog

Nice result and nice car! As dicknose pointed out, in Australia we have a few different dyno types and most measure at the wheels but some do at the hubs. We also use kilowatts as our measure.

For comparison, stock XTs make around 130kw atw, mine made 155kw atw with 3" TBE and chip running 12 psi. (After this weekend I should be close to 220kw atw)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts