Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I have an 06 FX, and its a great car. It is stock, and I just did the timing belt, and head gaskets and all that fun stuff. I was planning on selling it, but might keep it for a while. I am in AK, and getting used is really hard. The new ones don't even have a turbo model. So I am gonna drive this one for a while. Its at about 178k. Runs great. I do not really want to change anything, but i do want to get a little more sound out of the car. I do not think i will see any performance increase, but i would like to hear the car just a little more. I don't want to be "that guy" on the block, but i do love the ol EJ25.

So my question is... Is there an "axle" back setup, or can i bolt one on? I had a magnaflow in the past on another car, but i would like to get some rumble without making it sound too rally. Any thoughts? I would even bolt one a moderate rear exhaust if i could figure out what bends/lengths i need.

This is all stemming from my need to upgrade, then needing some work done. With the money into the car, and getting her healthy again, i want to her her a little more.
I have the "cat below threshold" thing going on too, so i may replace that, or maybe do the different header setup, but most likely a stock new cat, and o2 sensor, then a little tip job.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

I'll try to throw a pic up soon. Not a bad car, and it has aged well. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,046 Posts
Reactions: Natedog

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool,

Ya i do not know if there is really any way to get much out of those na engines... nothing worth it at least.

But a little sound would be nice.

Any ideas out there on a ECU reflash if i replace the cat (upstream)?
I read a service bulletin that mentioned that.

Thanks

·
Administrator
39,046 Posts
No, no easy, low cost way to get more power out of an NA - nonturbo engine. :frown:

As far as I know, no ECM reflash is required when you replace a CAT.

Also, I've read where you can loose hp - horsepower & tq -torque if you open up the stock exhaust too much. :confused:

Your '06 looks like it has ELH - equal length headers, which are efficient, but won't give you that boxer burble... rumble. To get that sound, you'd need UEL - unequal length headers. These are less efficient & can be a PITA to install! :icon_eek:

If you want a good sounding exhaust, I'd recommend a custom fabricated Magnaflow axle back exhaust. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man... I have spent way too much time looking at your 07 build. Love it. I would put the new car on hold and get a WR XT if that was an option. Ive ever only seen on here and it was an X model. Oh well.

Ya, i am just going to do an axle back. Might even use your 11255 muffler adn a tip, but i think the XT may have been a larger diameter, so i will have to figure that out before doing any welding. I basically want it to be permanent while i own it, but easily removable if someone wants stock sound if i sell.

·
Administrator
39,046 Posts

·
Administrator
39,046 Posts
man... I have spent way too much time looking at your 07 build. Love it. I would put the new car on hold and get a WR XT if that was an option. Ive ever only seen on here and it was an X model. Oh well.
The negative is having to use Premium fuel! If you have the XT tuned + you have a heavy right foot, your gas mileage will be pretty bad... but that was expected! :biggrin:
Ya, i am just going to do an axle back. Might even use your 11255 muffler adn a tip, but i think the XT may have been a larger diameter, so i will have to figure that out before doing any welding. I basically want it to be permanent while i own it, but easily removable if someone wants stock sound if i sell.
My axle back is welded onto the factory/OEM muffler flange, so it can be removed. I didn't plan on saving the stock muffler, so no matter that it was destroyed in the fabrication.

Note the warning on my write up! Don't go with the shorter Magnaflow muffler, unless you want it REAL loud! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya... i saw that and was curious, but the other part of it recommended the same thing. Either way, I will get to it tomorrow of this weekend.

I will look at those. Ideally i would remove it altogether, but i don't want it to run like crap. It's only money, right? haha

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know the diameter of the stock X exhaust? I could just measure it, but it is really cold outside up here in AK. At least this week.

I want to limit my fussing with it. If i even get to it this weekend.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the update on the "Make Subaru (sound) Great Again project:

It snowed this weekend, and as I do not have a heated space to work in, I opted to work on the car another time. Unfortunately, in an attempt to load hockey gear in the car in the snow, discovered a problem with my rear passenger door. It is malfunctioning somehow with what I expect to be a broken or jammed latch mechanism... great.

Still deciding if I even spend money on the car, but it is a pretty good driving machine, so maybe a little. No crazy mods in the future.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll also try to get some pictures of the rubearru! Nothing too pretty, but she's still treating me great!

·
Administrator
39,046 Posts
You posted this on another thread... I didn't feel it would be correct to reply to you on that thread... :wink:
Not sure about the whistling? I just had mine done too, and my CEL has been on a while before, AND still on now after the change. I want to just remove the whole system, but i don't know how the engine would handle free flowing cats?

Good luck with your project.
I seem to recall reading where opening up the exhaust too much, on a nonturbo, can cause a loss of hp - horsepower & tq - torque. Bottom line, degraded engine performance. :icon_eek:

If you remove the CATS, you'd still have to deal with the O2 sensor. On the '05+, the rear O2 sensor is also used for "fuel trim", so you could get another CEL code.

Of course you'd fail emission emission testing if your State requires that.

What CEL codes do you have now? :confused:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't want to totally remove them. Just get ones that work, but are possibly efficient? The stock ones are just nasty. The rock Auto ones seem stock, but maybe slightly better bends. I just want to have cruise control (i keep getting pulled over when i don't pay close attention to the speed on the highway) and of course i want the car to run right. (MPG dropped down a little over the years.)

·
Administrator
39,046 Posts
I don't want to totally remove them. Just get ones that work, but are possibly efficient? The stock ones are just nasty. The rock Auto ones seem stock, but maybe slightly better bends. I just want to have cruise control (i keep getting pulled over when i don't pay close attention to the speed on the highway) and of course i want the car to run right. (MPG dropped down a little over the years.)
MPG drop could mean running too rich = too much O2 in the exhaust = P0420 CEL. :confused:

Assuming your head gaskets are not failing & your Subaru recommended scheduled maintenance is up to date, start with the easy stuff, like cleaning the MAF sensor. :wink:

You can view your Subaru recommended scheduled maintenance here on cars101.com.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Correct. That is the code i believe. Seen it many time. Did just get the mx done, so time to start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X 5 Speed Manual
13 Posts
Not positive, but I have heard that a Forester XT axle back will bolt up directly to a Forester X, but a full cat back won't.

If that's true the Turbo XS axle back sounds great, and is only around $300.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately, shipping to AK makes that less of an intriguing option.
I should just chop the old muffler and weld in the 11255 Magnaflow and tip. If I ever sell it, it will probably be to a college kid who likes a slightly more noticeable muffler :)

·
Registered
2006 Forester X 5 Speed Manual
13 Posts
I just chopped off the OEM muffler and had a HKS Hi-Power muffler welded on and it sounds really nice.

Next up is some UEL headers and a cat back with a resonator. After that I'll really be rumbling. Only problem is I haven't been able to find UEL headers that fit the 2006 Forester X.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts