Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X Sports Manual
111 Posts
Hey @awa404, welcome to the forums. I installed an eonon unit using the USA double din pod, you can check out my photos and brief write-up here

I did have to do some trimming, not sure exactly how much tho :confused:

- look at the "frame edge" specifications off the Eonon site. Mine had a frame edge of : 182 (Width) x 104(Height) mm

·
Registered
MY08 Forester X
15 Posts
Hey, thanks @tcsubie24

Just read your write up. looks awesome. I see you have an 08 forester like me, did u have to use an extension for the antenna cable as Bobby mentioned?

Cheers

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did not need an extension for the antenna cable, but it was a pain to reroute it haha. Also, the gps thingy mounts nicely right on top of the head unit and I haven't had any reception issues (it fits with just a bit of room to spare once the pod is put on). Feel free to ask if you have any other questions!

·
Registered
MY08 Forester X
15 Posts
Hey mate, im doing a similar build to you by replacing the stock single din radio with another empty single din storage compartment. I just pulled out the single din stock radio and found that the new empty compartment doesn't line up with the radio brackets. I see you have inverted your empty compartments as I think they stack better that way. Did you end up drilling new holes in the bracket to mount the new one?

I've started the build today and I think my head unit is the same size as yours so Im going to do some trimming tomorrow. I see the wire is different to the one in my subaru too. I'm guessing I will need a radio wire harness? Did you wire up the external microphone too?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Either a wiring harness or a wiring diagram (preferably both), I just used a diagram and spliced the wires together. I did connect the external mic but it’s pretty shoddy and I’d recommend skipping it in favor of a Bluetooth headset or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MY08 Forester X
15 Posts
Either a wiring harness or a wiring diagram (preferably both), I just used a diagram and spliced the wires together. I did connect the external mic but it’s pretty shoddy and I’d recommend skipping it in favor of a Bluetooth headset or similar.
Thanks mate, got a wiring harness today that fits and the Eonon unit boots up perfectly, now just have to do the trimming for the main pod structure, have trimmed the front lower plate with a dremel already and its looking okay, any tips for getting a nice straight cut on those inner sides of the main pod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MY08 Forester X
15 Posts
Hey guys I finished my build today, thanks for all your help, took a fair bit of trimming to get the Eonon unit to sit in there, but its working really well now, put a empty single din storage compartment in place of the old radio. I took photos of every step if anyones interested. Something I'd like to do now is get some steering wheel controls linked up to it so I can make calls easily while im driving, anyone had good experience using those ebay steering wheel remote cheapies linked to android head units? next project is a LED light bar too, anyone here put one of these on an SG forester?

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 5 speed
170 Posts
Trying to get the whole kit from JapanParts all I could find is the:
Top :
66242GA COVER ASSY, NAVIGATION
Bottom Trim:
66242GG COVER, NAVIGATION

Is there a number for the whole thing or is there seperate brackets I have to get??

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,105 Posts
@clint78z looking at the parts diagram on japanparts.com, looks like "all" the parts are listed separately. If you want or need the mounting brackets, those are also listed separately.

I'm not familiar with those part numbers, so are you sure they will fit your Forester? Also, why you're going thru the expense of purchasing that vs. buying the USDM version pictured below?

Bobby...

Part number: DOUBLEDINA950ML or H0010SA950ML

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sports 5 speed
170 Posts
Thanks for the reply, and trying to save me money. I have the u.s. one going to fit, but I am a perfectionist and wanted the screen closer. I am ordering the bin cooler and for why not get the other nav hood to see if I like it.

·
Registered
2004 SG9 manual
24 Posts
I have a double DIN alpine INE-957 I was going to start installing in my 04 XT’s stock location next week. That is,until I saw this thread! Now I’m seriously considering to move it up top. I read a lot of discussion about the clock and airbag indicator... it’s clear that I will not fit in latermodels but can someone confirm that my 04’s clock and airbag light can remain with either USDM or JDM pod?

In all of the pics of double din stereos in this thread, I don’t see the clock/airbag light. Safe to assume it’s deleted to make way for a double din head unit?

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
@Andee The dash top POD is directly compatible with the '03-'05, not with the later '06-'08 where the passenger airbag monitor was added to the clock.

If you install a double DIN head unit, the clock will have to be deleted. That's not a problem with the '03-'05, the clock can be unplugged. That is a problem with the '06-'08, with the passenger airbag monitor, but there is a workaround.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 SG9 manual
24 Posts
I’m looking at this on eBay. I’ve tried looking up the part number on a few sites but coming up blank.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUBARU-FORESTER-XT-SAT-NAV-SCREEN-FACIA-SG9-P-N-86281SA010-05-06-07/302991553522?hash=item468bb433f2:g:nswAAOSwZupcDupZ

Any thoughts on this fitting in my 04? The ad says 05 06 07 after the part number, so waiting to confirm it will fit before I pull the trigger.

Also, can I re-use the double din cage from the nav unit to mount my alpine unit in? Or do I need a seperate frame for that?

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
That appears to be the JDM version. We didn't get that version here in the States. If you're thinking about installing something else in that POD, make sure it's a true double DIN opening. In addition, I believe you will need a different piece that goes across the front, as that one has piece that's part of the installed navigation unit.

Scan thru this thread to find the discussion on the JDM version of this dash top POD.

Take a look at this post in this thread. It's shows the front piece for the JDM POD. The next post shows the entire JDM POD installed. The JDM part numbers are also on that post.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 SG9 manual
24 Posts
I've found a H0010SA950ML on ebay and will go for that instead and know that my double DIN stereo will fit. Plus it has all the mounting bits. Being 6'3", I'm sure I can handle the screen being set back by an inch or two.

Next time I get onto my laptop I'll complete my profile :)

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
You might have luck finding the JDM version there in Australia, but here in the States, we have to order them from Japan & that's an expense! The USDM version costs around $65, which isn't too bad. They come with the front piece & 2 mounting brackets.

As I noted on previous posts in this thread, the POD is VERY difficult to remove, once it's installed! Unlike the cubby, it has solid mounting tabs! :

Bobby...

Reactions: iNfEk

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Automatic
11 Posts
@2.5x_sleeper Hey Bobby, I have been looking for the USDM Double Dim Dash Pod and have not come across it anywhere except on eBay for close to $225. Where can I find it for $65? Thx.

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
@subiesurya last I heard, the dash top POD was discontinued, so unless you can find a used one, you might be out of luck.

You could check with Jackie, @SubaruPartsGirl here on the forum. She's a forum supporting vendor & a parts wiz! Her direct number at Annapolis Subaru is (866) 509-3019. If that dash top POD can be sourced, she would know!

Also, if you are able to buy from here, tell her you're a forum member, as she gives forum members a discount!

Bobby...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Automatic
11 Posts
@2.5x_sleeper Checked with Jackie and apparently somebody bought the last couple ones about a month ago. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy one from ebay... Unless maybe the JDM version is still available?

81 - 100 of 112 Posts