Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
102 Posts
The top part... YES! It's a PITA! I think it's the clip style that they used. It's not like the ones with the white clips. Those are easier. I had the hardest time removing it when I was trying to mount the clock pod afterward

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,105 Posts
The trick is to pop it up a bit (first notch) by hand, then use a trim tool to pry it up the rest of the way. The dash is VERY soft, so use a cloth to prevent marring it with the pry tool!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: iNfEk

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
171 Posts
Looking good. I just order one of my own and will install a 2Din stereo into it. i Agree that this set-up will be much safer than the current stereo location. What were they thinking back in 2004-2008?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
722 Posts
Agreed! love not having to look down at the radio. now I need a good window mount for the cell phone.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
223 Posts
Update for anyone that cares. The bottom center trim piece for the JDM Pod is Part # 66242SA150ML. You can find it on Japanparts.com under part number; 66242GG COVER, NAVIGATION (190-120-004). Thanks to Don1952 and 2.5x_sleeper for pointing me in the right direction. I'll post some pics of how it looks when I swap pods.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
223 Posts
It does, with the other pod I had to physically lean forward to reach it. This one, I just lift my arm up and it's at my fingertips. Still need to get my steering wheel controls hooked up one of these days.

·
Registered
MY08 Forester X
15 Posts
Hi guys I have a 2008 Forester and looking to do this mod. Just want to get clarification of my understanding about the pods from the last few pages

Are the following details correct?

The JDM Pod brings a mounted unit closer to the driver and is : H0010SA100 - where do i find one of these?

The US Pod is: H0010SA950ML or DOUBLEDINA950ML - smaller in size but more readily sold with all of the mounting parts?

Both units will require relocation of the clock in a 2008 Forester.

Thanks

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
@awa404 I see this is your forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Q: The JDM Pod brings a mounted unit closer to the driver and is : H0010SA100
A: That is correct.

Q: where do i find one of these?
A: I believe you can get one on Japanparts.com.

Q: The US Pod is: H0010SA950ML or DOUBLEDINA950ML - smaller in size but more readily sold with all of the mounting parts?
A: The JDM & USDM POD are the same size, with a standard double DIN opening. As you noted earlier, the JDM POD sits closer to the occupants.

Q: Both units will require relocation of the clock in a 2008 Forester.
A: That is correct. You will have to relocate the clock or do a delete.

Bobby...

·
Registered
MY08 Forester X
15 Posts
Thanks Bobby,

I just found the part on Japanparts.com under the code 66242GA - I can't list the URL or post a pic of it as im new and haven't reached a high enough post count to do so.

There are two variants listed on the site for different prices, do you know what the following terms mean? SG/D-F, SG/ A-C, BEFORE M/C FOR AFTER M/C etc? sorry im new to modding my subaru and not familiar with the terms yet.

www dot japanparts.com/parts/list.php?skwd=66242ga&x=0&y=0

·
Registered
MY08 Forester X
15 Posts
Hi guys,

It seems the JDM pod with the mounts and front panel will cost around 180 USD including postage from Japan parts, compared to the USA version which I can get for almost half that on other sites such as subaru genuine parts. Does the JDM version really warrant the higher price? Is it mounted that much closer to your fingertips that its worth it?

Cheers

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
You might check out the installed POD pictures to see if it's worth the extra cost.

If you have the passenger airbag indicator in the clock, you can't just unplug the clock, as you will get an airbag light! Take a look at this post, in another thread, for a workaround.

Bobby

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
I don't have the exact opening size, but I do know members have relocated their existing double DIN head unit into a dash top POD.

The US standard for a DIN radio is 7" x 2" (although the actual 180 mm width converts to something like 7-3/32" so most people use 7-1/8" to allow for clearance) and the Double DIN sized radio is a 7" x 4". Some radios in Japanese cars do not conform to the DIN standard.
Bobby...

·
Registered
MY08 Forester X
15 Posts
Thanks mate. Just bought that head unit along with the US pod and an empty subaru compartment to replace where the single din stock radio is. Will I need to buy any cables?

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
61 - 80 of 112 Posts