Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
07 Forester XT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I threw a 06-07 Limited Lip on my 07 Forester XT this weekend.
I ordered the Lip fron JNAPerformance, basically found a Poly Lip around $100 mark.
Didnt want to go with the Subaru Lip which was around $500 and Fragile from my experience with VLimited Lips in the past.
Finally, I am aware of the Garage Door Lip - just never really liked the way it looked.

I knew from the beginning that this lip would not be a perfect fit.
Heres the view from under the car - cramped view - but you can see none of the holes line up.

But I was ok with drilling a few holes in the underside of my Bumper and the Lip came with Hardware.
I simply taped the Lip on - using painters tape to eye ball the fit.

Youll notice on the sides, that the lip is too long. (Since its poly and I own a pair of tin snips - I corrected the length with the snips, then used an awl (sp?) to file the ends smooth.

In Addition, the lip had a raised portion, that I suspect is designed to fit an STI bumper contour. That raised portion was a bit too long for my Forester Bumper. Again I took my Snips and Shaped the Lip to fit the contour of the Forester bumper. This was not an exact science and if you are (1) On the Ground in front of my Car, and from that vantage point, (2)looking really closely, you can see a small bit of day light where my cuts werent perfect.
From the walk Up view you can see no daylight, which was key for me.

Heres the Front view

Heres the side view.

Once I had it taped where I liked, I drilled guide holes for the 10 ,screws included in the hardware kit with the lip. In addition, the lip also came with 4 snap bolts (?) which I used 2 of on the Ends. I actually was able to re-purpose exsisting holes in the bumper for this.

My goals for this project were pretty simple. Retro fit an 06-07 STi Lip to my Forester for around $100 bucks. I felt like I achieved those goals - I expect that this lip will get torn up eventually, but the good news is I can get 4 more before I get in the range of the 1 stock 08 Forester lip. :woohoo:

I checked an can get the little center silver STI piece on ebay for about 10 bucks if I want to complete the illusion.

PS. I am rolling on Swifts so this thing is very low up front - scratched the lip just coming out of the driveway.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
wow awesome job! looks like you vlimited'less fozz owners are in luck now, w/ a little work you can finally be part of the club!

·
Registered
2007 XT Sports
60 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa....now waaiiiiittt just a minute. You 're telling me that there is a $100 alternative (good looking alternative, sorry HD garage lippers) to the $500+ OEM part? And all i need is this cheap thing that sells on ebay for $25 9then add ($100 for shipping)?

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Pretty much. Some Honda Civic owners even mod this lip for their car. Very versatile part! Now I'm considering it for my Genesis Coupe :lol:

·
Registered
2007 XT Sports
60 Posts
Pretty much. Some Honda Civic owners even mod this lip for their car. Very versatile part! Now I'm considering it for my Genesis Coupe :lol:

This is crazy. I haven't heard much about it at all here, but everyone is still asking for alternatives to OEM prices.

Looks pretty good to me. I'm going to order one right now.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Great job!

I was hoping to do the 08 conversion on my 04 Xt this year but Built motor is coming first.

joe r

·
Registered
2008 Forester SG9 2.5XT
130 Posts
Does anyone know if this works on an SG9 w/o the sports bumper. I got the bumper with fog lights.
I have seen one in my country with your kind of bumper + the front lip but i know the bolt/clip areas is in a different position so you may need to modify it to fit.

·
Registered
05 FXT-Built+Brembos 6spd, R180, DSS axles
73 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Matrix XRS 6 spd
4 Posts
There's a whole slew of Matrix owners that have this lip. Ever wondered if we took them all from Subie owners. lol

I cut mine up and used the corners only.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5-speed
193 Posts
Thanks! I bought mine off ebay for $60 and we got it on last night had to trim the top and the sides, but otherwise it looks great.

Question for the Original poster: Did you do anything to seal up the sides so that it looks stock or did you leave the ends cut off? I was going to see if I could plastic weld the ends back on but didn't know if it was really worth it.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports2.5XT 5MT
52 Posts
I just ordered one of these lips and will be attempting the install shortly! I'll let everyone know how it goes. I might use some double sided tape as well!

Ryan

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports2.5XT 5MT
52 Posts
I also think I'm going to cover the snipped end with electric tape, until I can find something better to cap it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts