Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.0 XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drove home from work tonight to find car won't lock on remote button, even with key held over bonnet - figured it must be a dead battery in key (only changed a couple of weeks ago, so wondered if battery was duff), tried another battery in key and still nothing.

Spare key is at father in laws, so can't try till tomorrow, but wondered if anyone knows if keys are rolling code, so pressing the button 10 times would lose sync - or if this suggests either the key or alarm has broken !

I think alarm is Sigma M30 (keypad in coin drawer by right knee) - is this known for failing ? I am guessing Subaru garage price will be high anyone have an idea how much ? Also is this a standard alarm which can be fixed by any alarm shop, so would that be a better option than going to Subaru dealer (which is 30 miles away!) ?

Thanks for any suggestions - I've pretty fed up as you can imagine !

UPDATE: Had a search around on here, and found this:

Ian aka Sigma Sam - Solves all your OEM Alarm Problems - Subaru Impreza Drivers Club

"SACC 3465 should cost in the region of £70 from a Subaru dealer and your existing keys can still be used."

This is a lot better than I feared, so hopefully thats worst case.

·
Registered
2005 2.0 XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After negotiating the tiny keypad and PIN number to get car started, I tried spare key this morning and it works fine.

I am guessing battery went in my key, and because I kept trying it, it ran out of sync - anyone know how many keypresses your allowed before reprogramming ?

I have the reprogramming key sequence from manual, but given how fiddly the keypad is I am a bit nervous of trying this in case I screw up both keys !

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Just change the battery and it will be fine, goes back to a default code.

Simon

·
Registered
2005 2.0 XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just change the battery and it will be fine, goes back to a default code.
Thanks Simon - I have changed battery and still nothing - cheap ebay batteries, so might get a proper one to check, and clean contacts on the key - otherwise I guess key has died - not the end of the world.

I'm just relieved 2nd key works, as the keypad is a nightmare ;-)

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,804 Posts
Remotes are different in all parts of the world due in large part to differing regulations pertaining to the radio spectrum, but we have seen reports here that some of them tend to be sensitive to battery quality and have exhibited problems when used with cheap Chinese batteries.

·
Registered
2005 2.0 XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some of them tend to be sensitive to battery quality
This definitely seems to be true, I found the range with the ebay cheap batteries was only a few feet - I should have sprung for some proper batteries and paid full price for them ;-)

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Probably lead acid rather than Silver Oxide, I have a big pack of different sizes for emergencies of about 30 of them bought for 99p.

Simon

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
I think the genuine ones are silver oxide, much longer life they are certainly a higher voltage having tested cheap and decent on my mutlimeter.

Simon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts