Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - new here! Glad to have found the site.

We have an 05 XT. Yesterday we noticed an odd sound coming from the area of the turbo - whirring/whooshing noise.

Today - CEL came on - checked codes and they were P0011 and P0021 - "Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 1 - timing over-advanced" and same for Bank 2.

Checked the oil - NOTHING on the dipstick. Only one month and about 2000 miles since our last oil change.

Obviously..low oil. Adding oil right now and plan to take it to the local mechanic up the street to do an oil flush and change.

But then what? Reset code and see if that is the problem? Or:

-take it into Sub dealer. Nearest one is about 50 miles away. If the problem is more serious - is it ok to drive?

-call back BMW/Honda dealer that is closer - they just completed massive body work after a car accident - they said no real damage to engine compartment, undercarriage, etc. But why has our oil disappeared?? Seems too random to just be a coincidence.

Have had an off-and-on problem with oil seeping out around oil filter over several years, but never lost this much oil.

Money definitely a concern - pregnant wife who was laid off, missing some work myself from a back injury, etc <insert violin music here>. Plus no back-up car to rely on. Need to figure out what is going on and FAST, without wasting time or money. Obviously don't want to cook the engine or turbo (if it isn't too late already). Saw a TSB about banjo bolts in the turbo but then read it doesn't apply to '05s?

Help! Everything is stock, btw.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
I think the dealer either lied to you or neglected to check this... but the error code for over-advanced timing is indicative of a jumped timing belt. This is very common after collisions, and I would say that it's probably not safe to drive because you risk greater damage to the engine (Subie engines are interference engines).

As for the oil loss, have you noticed any smoking under the hood at all?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No - no smoking or leaking that we've noted.

When we pulled the error codes, the first thing on the list of suggested problems was "low or dirty oil", which obviously applies here. From what I've read here- the timing can't be properly adjusted without adequate oil pressure? So if that is the case, would the timing belt still be a concern?

I don't mind calling back the Honda/BMW dealer if this is related to the crash (which I would believe). But if it IS just coincidence, I don't want to waste my time with a BMW tech who knows nothing about subarus, ya know?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
I think you have two separate problems here. The oil issue is not necessarily related to the timing belt problem.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been finding info like this:
w w w .subaruoutback.org/forums/printthread.php?s=&threadid=17697

which sounds horribly familiar based on the codes, oil issue, etc. Worried that we might need to tow it 40 miles to Subaru?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And another yikes - this one:
subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/blown-turbo-05-fxt-need-advice-26684/

Nice.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
1,632 Posts
Yes, you could also have a blown turbo. If it is blown, your cheapest bet will probably be to find a used OEM turbo which is the TD-04. Check the classifieds on here and nasioc.com .

-Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts