1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5SPD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you jump on the Head Gasket band wagon, let me explain:

Symptoms:

-Occasional bubbles in coolant (sometimes I've got it, sometimes I don't; I've chocked this up to fluid eddying around a corner and cavitating {maybe?})
-Loss of coolant
-No puddles (anywhere), I've got some fluorescent dye that I'm going to add to the system when I get home
-Sometimes I think I feel steam in the exhaust
-I have 0 CO2 in the radiator fluid (I've done this test I can't remember how many times and each time I get the same result, no color change in the test fluid. Engine cool, engine hot, engine having ran for a half hour always the same).
-No oil in the coolant, haven't been able to find coolant in the oil but I also haven't done a oil change.
-NEVER overheats
-I pressurized the coolant system with one of those hand pump pressure testers, I'm seeing a slight drop in pressure but I hear no hissing or bubbling anywhere in the lines
-I do occasionally smell coolant after a drive home
-No difficulty starting and no misfires. I can usually start it cold and have zero problems.

Thoughts? I'm down for throwing a new HG on there and swapping to APR's but at the same time, I can't prove that that would fix it. I'm almost to the point where I'm ok swapping out ALL the hoses and calling it a day.

As of right now the only two things I can think are maybe a leak at the turbo or a pinhole leak in one of the lines that is spraying onto something hot...

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto -> STI
96 Posts
leaking cooling line somewhere poss under intake? its loosing a small amount and evaporating before it could drip and that is why you smell it.

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Did you guys recently change your coolant? If you did, it's possible it could have spilled over a little, and the 'loss' is actually air bubbles being burped out. And the 'steam' may be just condensed moisture that creeps into the tailpipe while not being ran. (This is the 'looking positively at it' scenario.)

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,187 Posts
Have you checked your radiator for any hairline cracks in the end tanks?

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
72 Posts
Funny I got the same thing on my 04 FXT except the bubbles.... driving me crazy... No CEL, drives awesome, pulls like no tomorrow... Let me know if you find something...

Subscribed

·
Premium Member
'21 ISM Crosstrek Limited
1,182 Posts
Before you jump on the Head Gasket band wagon, let me explain:

Symptoms:

-Occasional bubbles in coolant (sometimes I've got it, sometimes I don't; I've chocked this up to fluid eddying around a corner and cavitating {maybe?})
-Loss of coolant
-No puddles (anywhere), I've got some fluorescent dye that I'm going to add to the system when I get home
-Sometimes I think I feel steam in the exhaust
-I have 0 CO2 in the radiator fluid (I've done this test I can't remember how many times and each time I get the same result, no color change in the test fluid. Engine cool, engine hot, engine having ran for a half hour always the same).
-No oil in the coolant, haven't been able to find coolant in the oil but I also haven't done a oil change.
-NEVER overheats
-I pressurized the coolant system with one of those hand pump pressure testers, I'm seeing a slight drop in pressure but I hear no hissing or bubbling anywhere in the lines
-I do occasionally smell coolant after a drive home
-No difficulty starting and no misfires. I can usually start it cold and have zero problems.

Thoughts? I'm down for throwing a new HG on there and swapping to APR's but at the same time, I can't prove that that would fix it. I'm almost to the point where I'm ok swapping out ALL the hoses and calling it a day.

As of right now the only two things I can think are maybe a leak at the turbo or a pinhole leak in one of the lines that is spraying onto something hot...
Make sure the coolant system is full, both caps are good especially the turbo-tank one's negative valve, and that there isn't any issue at all.

Go out and get the car heated up... drive it a while and a little brisk. Then find a hill and hammer it to redline in third, at least. Go full throttle from 2590 to 6k in first through third a couple of times. Pull over and check the overflow tank.

No bubbles and the level didn't rise, don't worry too much. But if there are bubbles in the tank and it is above the full mark ... plan on headgaskets.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
72 Posts
Just saw that it had been a month since the first post? Any news on that?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5SPD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guess I should update this; I found out that I have a faulty Mishimoto Radiator. I kept pulling the cap off in order to check the fluid, in doing so I would make a mess and wipe up the evidence of the leak.

Basically it's leaking up around the coolant neck insert. I know it's not the cap because I've already gotten a new one...

Anyways, here's a pic of the evidence.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,919 Posts
Basically it's leaking up around the coolant neck insert. I know it's not the cap because I've already gotten a new one... ]
Actually looks like the threaded hose nipple is leaking at the threads. But thanks for getting back.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
72 Posts
Funny, I had the same thing happen to me, I had it welded all around at the shop where I work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts