Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed, bu I couldn't seem to locate it.

My BIL has an 05 STI and did a Catback exhaust. So he has a stock STI exhaust sitting in his garage. I could get it for change and shipping.
Will it fit without issue on my FXT and will it provide any benefit?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I believe the axle back fits perfectly except it doesnt stick out as much from the bumper compared to stock, and you might need some longer Kartboy XL hangers. Many people here run this setup.
Itll provide a slight upgrade because the diameter of the STi exhaust is wider than the stock FXT. However theres some performance being held back-the STi muffler isnt a strait through exhaust so youll be losing out on that. It does flow pretty nicely for a stock muffler though, its design flows much better than the FXT muffler

·
Registered
2005 LGT Limited wagon
553 Posts
you will need the longer hangers. the resonator is also smaller on the sti setup, but flow will only increase a small amount. it basically sounds and looks better, not really much of a power improvement.
i just sold my sti axleback, lol.

·
Registered
05 XT MT
2,564 Posts
FYI: the addition of a urethane (kartboy) middle hanger increases noise/vibration into the cabin over the stocker. If you dont mind that and want the added support, go for it. Just keep that in mind when installing the STi AB. I love mine.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Silverbullet555 said:
I'm sure this has been discussed, bu I couldn't seem to locate it.

My BIL has an 05 STI and did a Catback exhaust. So he has a stock STI exhaust sitting in his garage. I could get it for change and shipping.
Will it fit without issue on my FXT and will it provide any benefit?
The stock STi intermediate pipe is almost identical as the stock FXT intermediate pipe except the STi one has a smaller resonator for a slight increase in exhaust sound. Perfect bolt in replacement but I wouldn't bother getting the intermediate pipe, just the axleback.

As for the axleback(muffler section), you need to acquire (2) Kartboy long hangers (www.kartboy.com or find them used) to install the axleback. It will sit back slightly compared to the stock FXT axleback but still looks good. As far as performance increase, you will not see much until you get yourself a 3" stealth-back to mate up w/ it. That way it keeps the sound level down (good if you have a nagging spouse;-)) and keeps the appearence of a stock exhaust (to thwart the silly exhaust laws) while at the same time giving you increased performance w/ increased exhaust flow. Hope that made sense.

I have an '05 STi catback on my XT and I love the quietness...will replace the intermediate pipe when I get the money.

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
GatorXT said:
FYI: the addition of a urethane (kartboy) middle hanger increases noise/vibration into the cabin over the stocker. If you dont mind that and want the added support, go for it. Just keep that in mind when installing the STi AB. I love mine.
What is a middle hanger? I didn't hear any increase when I did mine.:confused:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. It gives me some things to think about as to if I want to do it. Plan was to keep it stock, but with a nearly free (some may not be nearly free) supply of STI parts coming as he does upgrades, it may be fun. Just want to make sure the warranty police don't get their panties in a wad for whatever things I do.

Thanks again.

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Silverbullet555 said:
Thanks for the info. It gives me some things to think about as to if I want to do it. Plan was to keep it stock, but with a nearly free (some may not be nearly free) supply of STI parts coming as he does upgrades, it may be fun. Just want to make sure the warranty police don't get their panties in a wad for whatever things I do.

Thanks again.
Upgrading the catback section does nothing to void the warranty, especially if they are subaru parts (you can rub their noses in it).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sirwilliam said:
Upgrading the catback section does nothing to void the warranty, especially if they are subaru parts (you can rub their noses in it).
I understand what you are saying, but the question is; will I stop at that or open a can of worms?

·
Registered
05 XT MT
2,564 Posts
Silverbullet555 said:
I understand what you are saying, but the question is; will I stop at that or open a can of worms?
Enter the WORMS........

Will.....when I installed my mid hanger it seemed to increase the vibration in the cabin due to how solid the mounting of the exhaust was with all 3 Kartboy hangers, IMHO. Yours, on the otherhand, is probably insulated with Poo from driving throught the grass in your area.:wink:

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
GatorXT said:
Enter the WORMS........

Will.....when I installed my mid hanger it seemed to increase the vibration in the cabin due to how solid the mounting of the exhaust was with all 3 Kartboy hangers, IMHO. Yours, on the otherhand, is probably insulated with Poo from driving throught the grass in your area.:wink:
And he told me it was a special undercoating! Last time I believe SirWilliam!!! :spinnasmiley:spinnasmiley:spinnasmiley

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
GatorXT said:
Enter the WORMS........

Actually, I only used 2 KB long hangers...maybe that is why you are getting the extra vibration. On the STi axleback, I am not utilizing the farthest hanger arm from the rear of the car.

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
BlueDevil said:
you will need the longer hangers. the resonator is also smaller on the sti setup, but flow will only increase a small amount. it basically sounds and looks better, not really much of a power improvement.
i just sold my sti axleback, lol.

Hopefully not to any forum member looking for significant power gains?...

BTW, the XL KB hangers are already here...:tongue:

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
sirwilliam said:

wish that held true with a VF-39, tmic and ecu.

·
Registered
05 XT MT
2,564 Posts
sirwilliam said:
Actually, I only used 2 KB long hangers...maybe that is why you are getting the extra vibration. On the STi axleback, I am not utilizing the farthest hanger arm from the rear of the car.
I might end up taking the midpipe Kartboy hanger off and put the stocker on because she shakes like I have a PHAT cam.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
GatorXT said:
I might end up taking the midpipe Kartboy hanger off and put the stocker on because she shakes like I have a PHAT cam.
I'm using the stock hangers on the STi mid pipe and long Kartboy ones on the STi muffler. This setup works well for me.
BTW, I like the extra rumble from the STi midpipe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts