Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester X Automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All,

05 Forester (obviously) 205 K r rear howling so I thought I would replace the wheel bearing. I have rebuilt a few flathead and overhead cam engines are rebuilt gearboxes so I didnt think this would be too bad a job.

Brake drum and hub came off OK. To remove the hub I used a slide hammer so I wouldnt be putting pressure on the half axle/differential.

got the infamous long bolt on the knuckle out OK no trauma.

Used a long bolt/puller to get the old bearing out, not a problem. There was evidence that some yahoo in the past had used an air hammer from the back side to push a bearing out so I doubt I am the first one through this way.

Chilled the new one (national from ORA) and slid it in; used the bolt/puller to push it in seemed pretty easy

Used a 3 jaw puller to get the inner race off the hub. All good, hub had a grinder ding in it because I assume the last guy used an angle grinder to get the inner race off and goofed. There is NO galling or dings or other obstacles on the hub.

Now is when the trouble begins.

1- outer seal wont go in the knuckle for love or money. I did eventually get it in and yes fully seated with a seal driver but it believe it or dont sproinged back out when I was monkeying with the hub.

2- The hub is not a slip fit or even an easy interference fit on the inner races. I cannot get it to go in. I did a little tappy-tap tap and got it a little in the first race but thats all. It is NOT hung up on the axle splines.

To add insult to injury, one of the rollers dropped out of the bearing cage when I pulled the hub. I have probably replaced 100 ball or roller bearings in the last 10 years and Ive never seen that. Not keen on the national brand now.

Anyway, to get to the question- on the 05 forester is the rear hub a hard press fit into the bearing? Its seems ridiculous that it would be because you wouldnt know how to preload the bearing unless you had a calibrated press.

thanks in advance.

Bill

·
Administrator
16,426 Posts
G'day & Welcome Bill

I've never even tried to replace a Subie wheel bearing even though I've replaced them on other cars and that's because I'm led to believe you need a press.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it went together with a lil press action and when I drove it all the wheel bearing noise was gone. Hooray for me until the bang and the screech and the wheel was locked up tight.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
22 Posts
I took my hub to a shop to have them press the old one out and new one in. Hope you get everything else fixed soon.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Any help? You know things get bad in this vid becuase has to get out Big Nasty!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tore it down and the new bearing was totally chowdered. No idea *** happened. Round 2 tomorrow!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts