Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters I have an 05 Lgt that lost oil pressure and trashed the engine. I bought it as is and the previous owner had a vf52 that he was going to install down the line. The shop I work at just got an 04 forester xt with a blown turbo in and the owner is wanting to get rid of it. I know the vf52 isn't a direct bolt in to the xt, but would it work if I took the intake and tmic from the lgt and installed on the fxt? Any info is much appreciated

·
Registered
2004 XT 5 MT
1,113 Posts
Only worries I’d have is a blown turbo can send metal through the entire oiling system depending on the type of failure that occurred. So you have to be thinking about things like the oil cooler and the avcs and oil feed lines. Not sure about the vf52 fitment just wanted to caution you before you go to far down the rabbit hole.

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
Sounds like a good way to spend $ thousands and many hours of frustration to save maybe $500 on a used turbo. I have not done this, so I could be way wrong, but I'm guessing the intake manifold would also need swapping. The throttle body will be re-positioned, so there is a good chance the wiring harness will not reach all where it needs to. Even if you get it to work, you will end up with a illegitimate offspring car that is difficult to work on.

That said, I do know of at least one tuner/builder that likes the plastic intake manifold better than the cast one. The car he had it on was a highly modified STI making over 500 whp, but that did not have stock location turbo, had a FMIC and probably numerous other mods to make it all work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've decided to abandon the lgt and go the used turbo path on the forester. After reading more post and doing research in general it's definitely better than trying to do whatever it was I was trying to put together in my head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts